diy solar

diy solar

Jackery 1000 for Trolling batteries

dochooter

Valparaiso, Indiana, United lake shafferStates
Hello. Total newbie. I just bought Jackery 1000 Explorer and matching 100 watt panel. Ideally, would like to run solar panel-jackery-three bank on board charger-3 on board boat batteries.

I have a couple of concerns. First is pass thro charge. Would like leave all set up and running. ie, solar panel up and jackery connected to on board charger. Jackery says could be bad for the Jackery?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello. Total newbie. I just bought Jackery 1000 Explorer and matching 100 watt panel. Ideally, would like to run solar panel-jackery-three bank on board charger-3 on board boat batteries.

I have a couple of concerns. First is pass thro charge. Would like leave all set up and running. ie, solar panel up and jackery connected to on board charger. Jackery says could be bad for the Jackery?

Thanks in advance.

It is really the wrong device for what you are doing.

I would take it back and start over after some research.

@HarryN gave good advice. It’sa bad idea to run an AC charger from something like a Jackery or inverter.

What you want is simpler:

Solar panels
Solar Charge Controller (SCC)

Hook the charge controller up to your three battery bank, change the settings appropriate for your batteries, then connect the charge controller to the panels. That’s it. You can leave it that way indefinitely. Or you can use something like Anderson connectors for quick disconnect. Or XT connectors would work too.

What size, features and price of charge controller you need could range from $20 to hundreds of dollars. The cheaper ones will take an extremely long time to charge your battery and are not a viable option with your setup of three batteries if they’re any kind of lead acid (AGM or gel or flooded). A long time is fine if you get a lot of sun and only use your boat on weekends and have enough lithium battery to last two days (sat and sun).

What kind of batteries do you have (AGM, GEL, lithium) and what capacity (Ah or Wh)?

And how are the batteries wired? Parallel or series?

I sent away for this controller

so far, I have one of these and simple to add a second.

something like this on boat but 5 amp

The pair of trolling batteries are
Interstate SRM-27 88AH 160 RC

When I have not had access to an AC outlet, I have been using a small gas generator dockside plugged into the onboard charger.

Sportsman GEN1000i 1000 Watt Inverter Generator for Sensitive Electronics​

Have never had a problem. Have wanted to dabble in a solar project.

I was going to use the Jackery Explorer to top off thro the on board charger. Tried last nite and seemed to work fine.

Thanks for viewing.

I sent away for this controller

so far, I have one of these and simple to add a second.

something like this on boat but 5 amp

The pair of trolling batteries are
Interstate SRM-27 88AH 160 RC

When I have not had access to an AC outlet, I have been using a small gas generator dockside plugged into the onboard charger.

Sportsman GEN1000i 1000 Watt Inverter Generator for Sensitive Electronics​

Have never had a problem. Have wanted to dabble in a solar project.

I was going to use the Jackery Explorer to top off thro the on board charger. Tried last nite and seemed to work fine.

Thanks for viewing.

I can’t explain to you why charging from a solar generator is a bad idea if you plug an AC charger into the 120V output on the Jackery. But I’ve read from those smarter than me that it’sa bad idea. Just because it works doesn’t mean you should do it.

You can buy cheaper of unknown quality (and they won’t reveal their source is a red flag) gasoline that will run in your vehicle’s engine, but this is usually a bad idea.

Why? Because that gas is cheaper in part due to added water and ethanol. Ethanol absorbs water.

Great! Water in the gas problem solved!

Not so fast. Once it’s absorbed the couple of teaspoons of water legally allowed in gas, it will absorb water from the air inside your fuel tank. Which will be humid if you live in a humid climate or the weather has been raining or melting snow.

Then you stop driving your car for a few months for whatever reason and then your car won’t start. Replace the battery, still no start. To to a mechanic and they will remove your gas tank, dump the water contaminated fuel and reinstall and put fresh fuel in.

All to save, what 7 cents per gallon?

Perhaps the smarty pants will chime in as to why using your charger on the Jackery is not a good idea.

Back