diy solar

diy solar

PV wire size for running 150ft from panels

Mr2

I have mostly figured out the hardware I'll be purchasing for my small solar setup.
I will have 3 165W (495W) panels wired in series ~150ft away from my inverter/charge controller/batteries.

Battery: https://powerurus.com/products/powerurus-12v-100ah-lifepo4-deep-cycle-rechargeable-battery
Charge Controller: https://www.renogy.com/rover-60-amp-mppt-solar-charge-controller/
Inverter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01COA0UTE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8

I would like to charge my Jackery 500 with DC from my charge controller to utilize the battery capacity without buying another lithium deep cycle.

What gauge PV wire should I purchase to run the ~150ft from panel array to charger/inverter?

Will i need a fuse on those 150ft pv wire runs?

Is there anything I am missing?

Need panel:
Vmp
Imp

I assumed 12V panels with ~ 18Vmp and 9A Imp with 10awg wire.

You can enter in your own numbers in the calculator.

Fuse optional in a single series string.

Im using this :

to run 150 feet from my panels. But Im running high voltage too. The goal on that array is 400 volts so the 10 ga wire works fine.

All of my number crunching seemed good for me at 100 volts and above at that distance.

One of the wire size (awg) charts will show you what you can get away with amps vs distance or a calculator like linked by sunshine_eggo.

Need panel:
Vmp
Imp

I assumed 12V panels with ~ 18Vmp and 9A Imp with 10awg wire.

You can enter in your own numbers in the calculator.

Fuse optional in a single series string.

Attachments

• panel-info.jpg
    panel-info.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 24
To meet code when sizing wire use Isc x 1.56. (at STC, standard test conditions) Once you do that you've handled voltage drop in nearly all instances.

Keeping in mind that your array (fixed assumed) will spend a few dozen hours a year at it's rated output and few dozen might be high. The rest of the time is well under that. So for voltage drop use NOC (normal operating conditions) which is normally Imp x ~.8 and "you'll be fine all day long".

FWIW: Many people are (grossly) oversizing wire for no reason and are spending extra money on wire than they will never get back in the handful lost kWh's from sizing wire for name plate amps vs. STC amps.

edit to fix typo

Last edited:
Unfortunately, your Voc is 133.5V. If it ever gets below 5°C, you'll pop the controller. If it never get's below 5°C, you'll be fine.
it gets below that on a regular basis half the year here. should i look at another charge controller? and what do you mean by pop the controller? renogy says the operating temperature is -31F - 113F

totally new here. Renogy says the operating temperature is -31F - 113F for the charge controller. Mind explaining why it wont work?

Note that I realize I made a sign error. It's not +5, it's -5°C

-13-113°F is the operating range and doesn't relate to the subject at hand. I'm talking about staying inside the PV limit of 150V.

Decreased temperature causes solar panel voltage to INCREASE. At -5°C (23°F), your 133.5V array (at 25°C) will exceed 150V.

You NEVER exceed PV voltage array limits. It's the fastest way to destroy an MPPT.

Note that I realize I made a sign error. It's not +5, it's -5°C

-13-113°F is the operating range and doesn't relate to the subject at hand. I'm talking about staying inside the PV limit of 150V.

Decreased temperature causes solar panel voltage to INCREASE. At -5°C (23°F), your 133.5V array (at 25°C) will exceed 150V.

You NEVER exceed PV voltage array limits. It's the fastest way to destroy an MPPT.
alright thank you. do you have any recommendations for a charge controller that will support >150V?

I've noticed some of the "pros" run a ground with the two PV runs. ?? What do you think?

Back