diy solar

diy solar

JK BMS - Active Cell Balancing not working....

akn

Hello friends!
I've got a 16S EVE 310ah Cells for my bus house battery, with a JK BMS.

I checked on it today and it appears active cell balancing is not working, despite being turned on in the settings.

I've got it set to start balancing at 3.45 with a balance trigger voltage of 0.010v.

I have charged the cells and set the trigger voltage to 0.003 just to show in the photos how it's not turning on.

Has anyone had the issue where the cell balancing just stops working, or is there something I not doing right?

Many thanks - Andy

377883537_3724655507764414_8218733645205569539_n.jpg 378238794_2172659269595794_1974726349879081410_n.jpg 377387761_617694520441592_8941103292039856814_n.jpg

I've got it set to start balancing at 3.45 with a balance trigger voltage of 0.010v.

I have charged the cells and set the trigger voltage to 0.003 just to show in the photos how it's not turning on.

In your screenshots, cell voltages are well below 3.45V so I wouldn't expect balancing to be active...

Ah ok! Got it! - Thanks for the replies.
So it will only balance OVER 3.45v...
Is this a good value to set it at?

Iam using 24s 80A jk bms in my E bike it works just fine for last 6 months but suddenly some of the cells are not showing in the app when i inspect my bms some of the resistors and mosfets burns completely what could be the issue balance leads are all fine.... it gives all the voltage reading without any loose connection IMG_20231003_174105.jpg

I got mine to activate balancing from 3.30V.
Difference on both my packs atm are 0.001-0.002...it's working perfectly.

Iam using 24s 80A jk bms in my E bike it works just fine for last 6 months but suddenly some of the cells are not showing in the app when i inspect my bms some of the resistors and mosfets burns completely what could be the issue balance leads are all fine.... it gives all the voltage reading without any loose connection

I've had one BMS sent to me (currently being returned) that had some resistors blown out but all MOSFETs were fine. They also were not 'burned off' as those you have. Something must have caused a pretty high current in those balance leads, but I don't know what...

Hello friends!
I've got a 16S EVE 310ah Cells for my bus house battery, with a JK BMS.

I checked on it today and it appears active cell balancing is not working, despite being turned on in the settings.

Has anyone had the issue where the cell balancing just stops working, or is there something I not doing right?

Many thanks - Andy

View attachment 167800 View attachment 167801 View attachment 167802
I set my JK. BMS active 2 A balancing to start at 3.35 volts (and currently at 0.15v diff) ... I think 3.45 volts is too high. ... just some thoughts and my personal opinion.

Iam using 24s 80A jk bms in my E bike it works just fine for last 6 months but suddenly some of the cells are not showing in the app when i inspect my bms some of the resistors and mosfets burns completely what could be the issue balance leads are all fine.... it gives all the voltage reading without any loose connection View attachment 170531
The voltage collection resistor is damaged and needs to be replaced with a new 1 ohm resistor to function properly. If an individual does not have the ability to repair, they can be sent back to China with a 3-year warranty

My system is using a JK BMS on Li NMC cells. They act very different to LiFePO4 cells, so my current settings would not be good.

But I am always looking into options for when I need to replace the cells, and LiFePO4 is a better battery for safe home energy storage. So I have been looking at how they work. Looking at the charge curve, the upper knee starts at about 3.4 volts. So that is the area where you should start the cell balancing. The idea is to only "top balance" the pack. As any cell goes above 3.4 volts, the active balancer will pull power from the high cell and push it to the lowest voltage cell in the pack. Ideally, the result will be all of the cells going above 3.5 volts at the exact same time as they are brought to the same state of charge. For that to happen, the cells would need to be closely matched an perfectly balanced. In the real world, the cell voltages will spread more as they go above 3.5 volts. 2 amps of balance current is good and my JK is keeping my 360 amp hours of Li NMC cells all balanced within 0.003 volts with no problem at all. But if the pack is being charged at 20 amps, one cell being just a few % higher state of charge can run away as it passes 3.5 volts. Pulling 2 amps won't slow it much as there will still be 18 amps charging that cell. And the way the JK balance works, it can only pull that 2 amps a bit less than 1/2 of the time. For this reason, it may take several slow charge cycles at less than 4 amps to give the balancer time to pull all of the cells to the same 100% full charge state.

With LiFePO4 cells, you want to stop balancing when the cells fall below 3.4 volts. Once the cell voltages are into the flat region, it won't do anything anyways. But, if you run the pack down to where any cells start hitting the bottom knee, the balance might then try to pull power from a stronger cell to help keep a weak cell up. But this is wrong as it will un-balance the cells very quickly. If the cells are perfectly matched, this won't happen, but any difference in cell capacity will trigger this bad behavior. Lets say these are 100 amp hour cells, but one cell is only 95 amp hours. When the pack is fully charged and top balanced, all cells will be at 100% state of charge. When you discharge 30 amp hours out of the pack, the good cells are now at 70% state of charge, but the weaker 95 amp hour cell is actually down to 68%. Rung the pack down to just 30% remaining on the good cells, this weak cell could be as low as 25% left. If the active balance was still running, it would be pulling power from the stronger cells to boost this weak one back up. While this might make it run a tiny bit longer, it is messing up the balance. If the cells were then balanced to the same voltage (state of charge) and you try to charge this back up, the weak cell get's pushed up to the same 30% SoC, but as the pack charges, the weak cell is actually charged to a higher state and will once again hit the top knee first and run away. This is due to the cell having extra charge pushed in by the balancer. If the balancer is left off, yes, the weakest cell will limit the minimum charge state by hitting the low knee first, but when charging back up, every cell will take in the same amp hours and hit full charge at the same time again. Limit the discharge to keep the weakest cell over 20% SoC and all you ever need to do is a light top balance to keep them in sync. Turning on balance when any cells goes above 3.4 volts or even a bit higher will work great.

I may change my settings to limit the balancing to the very top as well, even in my NMC cells, but it is not as critical. They are so well matched, they cells don't spread more than 0.008 volts ever any more, my balancer has not turned on in over a year since the cells got top balanced up. But I also never run them below 45% charge either. But I might in the next few days. I just got a notice that the electric company may shut off the power here due to high winds and a wild fire danger situation. So my house me be running off grid for 2 to 3 days.

Back