diy solar

diy solar

JK-PB Inverter-BMS Bluetooth always on

LEumel

Hi there,
does anyone have a solution to turn off the Bluetooth functionality either completely or after a while of being disconnected?
As far as i can see, they haven't included this in the firmware (yet?) and the Bluetooth is always on and not encrypted (apart from the internal pin ofc), which is both an unnecessary security risk and a waste of energy (even if it's not much).
Has anyone dared to desolder the Bluetooth chip on the PCB completely or wire a switch to the pins to cut its supply if not needed? I guess no, bc probably too expensive for most people, in case something goes wrong...

Desolder the Bluetooth sub board and reattach with wires and an on/off toggle on the supply wire.

Attachments

• half 1.jpg
    half 1.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 9
Bluetooth BLE uses almost nothing for power. That is also why the range is limited to <6 metres (without obstructions).
Security Risk ? Well change the password to Alpha-Numeric and stop worrying, there is nothing anyone can do to "spy" on you or do anything nefarious. It is like worrying about dishes while the house your in is burning...

But again...WHY?
As Steve mentions the power use is MINIMAL.
And if you consider a BT module as a security risk with its max 5-10m range...well, there are other stuff to worry about.

Imagine a boat dock with a lot of slips with boats close together. You could easily be within range of someone else's BT and mistakenly change someone else's which was within range. Granted changing the pin would alleviate that case but it is still a critical piece that if someone does alter it could potentially cause damage. You'd also be broadcasting that you have that equipment for someone to steal. So I don't think it is unreasonable request to totally turn if off.

Back