diy solar

diy solar

Keeping solar room vented & cooler...

TOU47

Solar Enthusiast
I live at 6,850' elevation so my nights always get cool & I have very little humidity in SW Colorado. But... between the inverters heat & daytime heat I think the little room will get warm. (Did have 2" R-Tech insulation.)

I'm considering adding a small 4" ducted fan just to circulate cooler outside air in & warm air out to my solar room in my shipping container. Something like this...

With 2 of these...Inlet/ outlet.

Anyone else use something like this to help cool/ ventilate?

Thx

I live at 6,850' elevation so my nights always get cool & I have very little humidity in SW Colorado. But... between the inverters heat & daytime heat I think the little room will get warm. (Did have 2" R-Tech insulation.)

I'm considering adding a small 4" ducted fan just to circulate cooler outside air in & warm air out to my solar room in my shipping container. Something like this...

With 2 of these...Inlet/ outlet.

Anyone else use something like this to help cool/ ventilate?

Thx

I have an uninsulated 40' shipping container at 6400' in AZ. It's effectively R=0.

I'm considering these:

They will move a lot more air.

Two 80mm 12VDC computer fans fitted into clothes dryer vents from Home Depot. Fans are wired in series and run directly off the solar panel on the container. They run when the sun's out and stop at night. The VoC of the panel is about 19V so the fans run slower than normal which keeps the noise down to a tolerable level.

Also painted the container roof with mobile home aluminized coating. This alone dropped the inside temp 10 deg. F.

Attachments

• 0607A030.JPG
    0607A030.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 0607A032.JPG
    0607A032.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 14
Thank you, I have been looking at these as well & I like them alot. Agreed ?, that they will move lots of air. I'm just trying to figure out if I need that much moved & if I want to open it up that much. I want to deal or back up in the winter as well.

Two 80mm 12VDC computer fans fitted into clothes dryer vents from Home Depot. Fans are wired in series and run directly off the solar panel on the container. They run when the sun's out and stop at night. The VoC of the panel is about 19V so the fans run slower than normal which keeps the noise down to a tolerable level.

Also painted the container roof with mobile home aluminized coating. This alone dropped the inside temp 10 deg. F.
Very interesting...well done. Any idea on CFM?

Sorry, I'm sincerely not following...how does this help with cooling & ventilation?
Heat pump water heater makes a lot of cold air. You are pulling the heat out of the air to make hot water. Inverter will make heat, just what the water heater wants.

Heat pump water heater makes a lot of cold air. You are pulling the heat out of the air to make hot water. Inverter will make heat, just what the water heater wants.
So sorry...I gotcha now. I was thinking the opposite. Thx for the clarification

Which heat pump water heater are you going with?

Very interesting...well done. Any idea on CFM?

I could look up the fans - just nothing special DC brushless running at about 2/3 rated, I would guess.

I have trees on either side of my north-south oriented container which helps with the sun exposure. So I didn't need to move what would be needed if it were plunked down in the middle of a field. They move enough to keep temps down some, but the real benefit is abating the "musty" smell in there.

It's far better to do some prevention of things getting baked in the first place:

then to try to remove the heat generated after the fact.

I've got a Rheem 50 gallon. Had it about 5 years, no issues. Keep it at 130 deg, run it on heat pump only, which is the most efficient. Just my wife and I, so we never run out of hot water on that setting.
Thank you

Last edited:

61WGLMiZtFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks like this should work installed from the inside:

1683842750859.png

Attachments

• 1683842449033.png
    1683842449033.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 2
Back