diy solar

diy solar

Latest, good All-In-One - mobile, EG4, SunGold, Growatt, Chins - single phase, 3kw

chrisstratton

Any thoughts on which might be the current 'sweet spot' for a mobile All in One, 110v, single phase, 3000w, to handle less than 2kw PV? I've used the Growatt 3000 for two years and it was good. Occasionally I would disagree with the Growatt's choice not to charge the LiFePO4 when on shore power. But, by and large, it did what I asked it to do. Now, I've sold the motorhome and I'm looking to build another. Thoughts - anyone?

Everybody’s “sweet spot” is different lol. There are so many options these days. It really comes down to warranties and whether or not they’ll be honored, which is why I generally agree with the statement above about PowMr as long as I can find it on Amazon and get protection on it so I can easily send it back no matter what.

cant beat the 400 usd units from powmr (SRNE rebadge) shipped from US warehouses and with 2 yr warranty.
Thanks! I was wondering about them. Last time, I made a 24v system. I'm thinking about a LifePower 48v server rack battery: does it make sense to run the 48 volts ot one or two distribution sites, then down convert to 12?

cant beat the 400 usd units from powmr (SRNE rebadge) shipped from US warehouses and with 2 yr warranty.
By the way - many of those are 230output, I'm going to guess that balanced draw is important and one should just randomly take one leg for a 110v fridge and another for an induction burner?

By the way - many of those are 230output, I'm going to guess that balanced draw is important and one should just randomly take one leg for a 110v fridge and another for an induction burner?
Those are not split phase. Just 1 phase 1 neutral and 230v between the one phase and neutral. European

Seems the US 110v ones cost at least 460 usd.

They have pro's and con's, but as a general overview:

EG4 - Pro- Can take higher voltage strings for larger arrays, Pro- Local (US at least) support, Con- Higher than average standby draw, Con- Needs a good amount of panel to just turn on.

MPP - Pro- Just Works, even Will says so, Pro - very trusted brand that has been doing it a while, Con- Lower PV voltage max which usually means getting a combiner box involved, Con- Different versions of the same thing don't like to stack

Growatt- Pro- About the same as the MPP for longevity and support, Pro- Often times has a little more capacity than the MPP of the same range (3kw vs 2.4kw for the 24v units for example), Con- Has been known to have charging issues from the grid, Con- Not being developed so don't expect many firmware updates in the future.

PowMr - Pro- CHEAP!! Con- CHEAP!!!

I've currently got a 3000 LVM-ES and really like it. Communications with the EG4 Lifepower4 works very well. That being said, if I was gonna do it over again, I'd get the EG4 3k unit that comes with battery cables and offers 500v solar input so I could run a single string. Only downside I see to the EG4 is the 18amp PV input whereas the Growatt ES offers 22amp solar input which offers more flexibilty for parallel strings. EG4 also has a much longer warranty.

Last edited:
They have pro's and con's, but as a general overview:

EG4 - Pro- Can take higher voltage strings for larger arrays, Pro- Local (US at least) support, Con- Higher than average standby draw, Con- Needs a good amount of panel to just turn on.

MPP - Pro- Just Works, even Will says so, Pro - very trusted brand that has been doing it a while, Con- Lower PV voltage max which usually means getting a combiner box involved, Con- Different versions of the same thing don't like to stack

Growatt- Pro- About the same as the MPP for longevity and support, Pro- Often times has a little more capacity than the MPP of the same range (3kw vs 2.4kw for the 24v units for example), Con- Has been known to have charging issues from the grid, Con- Not being developed so don't expect many firmware updates in the future.

PowMr - Pro- CHEAP!! Con- CHEAP!!!
What are the idle powerdraw of those aios? The srne (powmr rebadge) i got have 50w idle and 30watt in power saving with inverter sleeping but ready to go

I'm in the same boat (figuratively). I've narrowed down to Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-48P and MPP PIP-3048 LV-MK. Since I only have room for 4 panels, partial shading concerns on my backyard shed means I have to stick to my 60 cell used panels in 2s-2p configuration which fit well with the above inverters. My only comparison points are: Low idle consumption in inverter mode, decent Wi-Fi smartphone app experience (with their respective dongles), fan noise. Which would you guys recommend?

Hmmm … 120 single phase? I’d say most seasoned RV types go with Victron Multiplus units.
3000 V-A seems to be the most used.

Back