diy solar

diy solar

Lead-Acid Batteries And Battery Boxes

tictag

Off-Grid Enthusiast
For the longest time I have known that lead-acid batteries used/stored within a living space e.g. RV/Caravan/Residential etc should be stored in a air-tight, sealed battery box or battery compartment with pipes connected to each release valve (assuming here maintenance free VRLA types, obviously) routed to the outside environment. All cables, connectors, entry glands, pipes etc should be manufactured from corrosion-resistant materials. Temperature sensors should be used to adjust charging voltages based on battery temperature.

Is this what everybody else believes is 'standard practice' for safe usage of lead-acid batteries within a living area?

I only ask because I keep hearing comments from people where their lead-acid batteries are mounted next to their Solar Charge Controllers, for example, or how they are 'minimising cable length' from battery-to-inverter or asking where to fit fuses (i.e. don't fit a device capable of producing sparks in a sealed box containing potentially explosive gasses!).

They say 'to assume makes an ass out of u and me', and maybe I am assuming that this is 'common knowledge' and, therefore, 'common practice'.

Comments from the forum?

I **think** that if the batteries are sealed (SLA, GEL , AGM?) they would not vent so there *should* be no dangers. If you use flooded lead acid batteries, I take that every time you add distilled water, you're compensating for water that was previously converted to hydrogen by electrolysis. So I understand that they generate gas often and that should be taken into account.

I **think** that if the batteries are sealed (SLA, GEL , AGM?) they would not vent so there *should* be no dangers.
That is correct, they only 'vent' under fault conditions e.g. over-charging.

Back