diy solar

diy solar

Lead Length

They should probably be close but there is so little current flowing I doubt it makes a huge difference. My leads are not the same length and when I put a multi meter directly on the terminals it generally agrees with the BMS

I'm kind of OCD about somethings and wires being neat and tidy are one of them. Will see how it all works out as soon as I get my cells.

Greg

So I have a question along this line. Let say the BMS has multiple wires that are used from the BMS to the different connection points (i.e. 3, 10ga wires). What would you then use for the positive side of the system? I am not sure what a single cable size would be to equal the same rating as 3, 10ga cables.

So I have a question along this line. Let say the BMS has multiple wires that are used from the BMS to the different connection points (i.e. 3, 10ga wires). What would you then use for the positive side of the system? I am not sure what a single cable size would be to equal the same rating as 3, 10ga cables.

I think (but am not positive nor experienced) that the way to go about this would be determine the circular mils (abbrev: CM or kcmil) of 3x10AWG then select the next size larger single wire gauge.

So based on this chart 3 x 10awg = 31,200 CM
The first wire size greater than 31,200 is 5awg at 33,100 CM
So you would want to use 5awg or larger on the positive side.

Do the cell leads going to each cell need to be equal length?

Greg

So the purpose of the leads is to (1) sense the voltage, and (2) balance the cells right?

If so than I think in theory you want all leads to be identical length and wire gauge so that voltage drop is the same for each lead.

Same disclaimer as above, i'm neither sure this is true nor experienced in this area, just hypothesizing.

Back