diy solar

diy solar

Leaking Electrolyte from Bigbattery Powerblock

To all the "Trolls" too afraid to create; bless your hearts.
Not sure what you mean by create but I know there is sarcasm with your statement. Calling people trolls is not very good for your business. Most of what I have seen in this thread has been constructive criticism.

Most important, your honesty is still in question until you report what you found with SethRR's battery that was sent back to you. Remember? The one you claimed had white lithium grease on it and his photos showed something worse than that including corrosion in the area of the BMS?

You promised you would report back with an update. You never did. An honest analysis from you regarding his battery would have went a long ways.

My packs are working well, actually. No issues so far.

That is good news you do not have any complaints. Very nice.

What cell are you using that can pull off 8000 cycles? Are you building the packs? Which company is providing the UL Certification? Is it pack level or cell level certification for the OWL?
Please keep us up to date if you get a reply

Which company is providing the UL Certification? Is it pack level or cell level certification for the OWL?
I don't understand this. Are the cells certified? Is the BMS certified? Are the wiring and cells interconnect certified? Do the cell mounts and case need to be certified. Or is the whole unit certified?.

I could be wrong but it's my understanding anything UL certified much have a visible UL label, and even the label must be UL certified.

I don't understand this. Are the cells certified? Is the BMS certified? Are the wiring and cells interconnect certified? Do the cell mounts and case need to be certified. Or is the whole unit certified?.

I could be wrong but it's my understanding anything UL certified much have a visible UL label, and even the label must be UL certified.
I should add that UL Certification is done by a 3rd party. Not Underwriters Laboratory. If a company has UL certification, they can advertise "Conforms to UL Standards" or "UL Certified". But they are not allowed to state "UL Listed".

When something is "UL listed", then it is done by Underwriters Laboratory and conforms 100% to a set standard that is code compliant. For example, UL 1741 for grid tie inverters.

You can have UL Listed cells used in a homebuilt pack. It doesn't mean the pack is UL Listed or Certified. A lot of battery salesmen will state "our packs are UL listed", when actually the cells are the only thing that are listed.

So there is a HUGE difference between Eric saying his pack is UL certified or listed, and whether it is at the pack or cell level. Pack level UL listed batteries cost a TON. One example is simpliphi or valence batteries. These are incredible packs, and in my opinion, a world of a difference compared to big battery packs, or any other chinese packs that we test on my channel. 4+ temp sensors, proprietary and conformal coated PCB's and certified for medical device use. Sealed battery cases and brand new cells that are also listed.

That is why I want to know more information here. I never know if it is UL listed, UL Certified, or Conforms to UL standards. Or if it is pack or cell level certification. Or if it is a safety certification. I am hoping Eric will give us more information.

Not sure what you mean by create but I know there is sarcasm with your statement. Calling people trolls is not very good for your business. Most of what I have seen in this thread has been constructive criticism.

Most important, your honesty is still in question until you report what you found with SethRR's battery that was sent back to you. Remember? The one you claimed had white lithium grease on it and his photos showed something worse than that including corrosion in the area of the BMS?

You promised you would report back with an update. You never did. An honest analysis from you regarding his battery would have went a long ways.

Yeah .... he came on here ....ignored the previous commitment he made ..... bragged ..... and then called us trolls.

I think we all know who the actual troll is.

QC issues. When will they learn?
I find it funny some of $youtube reviewers promoting these products defend Eric and trust him. To each their own. At least some of the reviewers are honest like Will and I do give kudos to LithiumSolar for explaining the QC problems he had with his previous batteries. Personally I would not promote them until all the QC issues are resolved.

Towards the end of the video it's mentioned Eric is going to hire a QC manager. Really? Sounds like much of the same we have heard before.

I have posted before I would like to see Big Battery succeed. Maybe his QC manager will help with that. Eric has the right idea to recycle cells and put them to good use. It's his dishonesty I have a problem with.

That is why I want to know more information here. I never know if it is UL listed, UL Certified, or Conforms to UL standards. Or if it is pack or cell level certification. Or if it is a safety certification. I am hoping Eric will give us more information.
I looked at the OWL's on Big Battery's website. Unless I missed it I didn't see any mention of UL anything. If I had spend thousands of dollars to obtain UL certification as Eric claims Big Battery did, I would put it in plain sight since it is a good selling point.

Yeah .... he came on here ....ignored the previous commitment he made ..... bragged ..... and then called us trolls.

I think we all know who the actual troll is.

If I was actually going to troll him .... I'd do something like .... ask @MrGreen if he has ever considered including a Microsoft CD with their batteries.

Checking back in to say that I received the replacement (or repaired?) 24v Hawk unit today. It was packaged the same as the rest and the volt meter appears to work properly / match the other units. On the whole the RMA process was fairly easy. BigBattery got the replacement unit to me in about the time that Renogy takes to reply to an email. So thumbs up for that but I have to run it for a few days to make sure it works. Like I said before, the other 3 units have been golden. If all 4 work out for me, I'll likely add more as budget allows.

Side note, the unit still has the white handles from the hawk max vs the black from the standard hawks. So not sure if they just fixed this one and sent it back or if they are moving over to those white rope handles for some reason.

On another note, the replacment charge controller from rengoy has been very solid and no screen issues so far. The new unit had a new software version so maybe they fixed the screen issue in the update.

Checking back in to say that I received the replacement (or repaired?) 24v Hawk unit today. It was packaged the same as the rest and the volt meter appears to work properly / match the other units. On the whole the RMA process was fairly easy. BigBattery got the replacement unit to me in about the time that Renogy takes to reply to an email. So thumbs up for that but I have to run it for a few days to make sure it works. Like I said before, the other 3 units have been golden. If all 4 work out for me, I'll likely add more as budget allows.

Side note, the unit still has the white handles from the hawk max vs the black from the standard hawks. So not sure if they just fixed this one and sent it back or if they are moving over to those white rope handles for some reason.

On another note, the replacment charge controller from rengoy has been very solid and no screen issues so far. The new unit had a new software version so maybe they fixed the screen issue in the update.
Thanks for update. Keep them coming if any new developments.

Good to see BB is taking care of their customers, wonderful, kudos!

Not defending BB actions or the lack of QC, but as a small business owner I feel their pain.

You hire good people and design and build a product, one employees lapse of judgement or lack of a brain causes MAJOR head and heartache.
Then the lawyer and underwriters dictate what you can say or do.

Many businesses refuse to even address overt issues with the product they sell, take XUBA for example.

If I was paying a premium, I would expect a level of service. I wonder if their sale contract includes a SLA for battery issues.

Not defending BB actions or the lack of QC, but as a small business owner I feel their pain.

You hire good people and design and build a product, one employees lapse of judgement or lack of a brain causes MAJOR head and heartache.
Then the lawyer and underwriters dictate what you can say or do.

Many businesses refuse to even address overt issues with the product they sell, take XUBA for example.

If I was paying a premium, I would expect a level of service. I wonder if their sale contract includes a SLA for battery issues.

We live in an imperfect world. I expect to pay premium prices for 100% QA. On the other end, I simply ask that vendors honor their warrenty when things slip thru. I think BB did that here for me. Renogy did too but just was a bit more of a hassle. That being said, I've found value in both of their products and can say that as of right now I'm a happy customer.

whooo that took a while. Now I had finally gotten honest with myself that I was not in any position to build my own pack by the time I am scheduled to roll the new trailer on its first big trip. And I ended up buying used rather than new so I so have budget for commercial battery packs. I had myself convinced that the Owls were the best deal in the larger 12V sizes and were in stock. Then I read this thread. Oh well. If ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise. still may buy a couple of Owls, but will watch them like a Hawk.

We live in an imperfect world. I expect to pay premium prices for 100% QA. On the other end, I simply ask that vendors honor their warrenty when things slip thru. I think BB did that here for me. Renogy did too but just was a bit more of a hassle. That being said, I've found value in both of their products and can say that as of right now I'm a happy customer.
Good deal,
BB and others who do the right thing - kudos.

whooo that took a while. Now I had finally gotten honest with myself that I was not in any position to build my own pack by the time I am scheduled to roll the new trailer on its first big trip. And I ended up buying used rather than new so I so have budget for commercial battery packs. I had myself convinced that the Owls were the best deal in the larger 12V sizes and were in stock. Then I read this thread. Oh well. If ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise. still may buy a couple of Owls, but will watch them like a Hawk.
As an aside, decided to go with ampere time. No plans (per my better half) to ever be in the camper when it is below freezing! The camper is for going where it is warm!

Back