diy solar

diy solar

lengthen temperature probe

hwse

Solar Enthusiast
My JK BMS has two temperature probes but the wires are very short. My BMS is mounted outside of my cell encloser and both probes are only long enough to reach the first of my 8 cells. What is the best way to lengthen these wires so that I can test the temperature at both ends?

I would solder and heat shrink. I’d the look on Ali Baba for a replacement probe realizing it’s probably not to be found.

If I lengthen the temp probe wires, do I need to do anything else other than cut, solder and heat shrink? Any special requirements on the wire and such? Would it still read the correct temperature or need to be recalibrated?

If I lengthen the temp probe wires, do I need to do anything else other than cut, solder and heat shrink? Any special requirements on the wire and such? Would it still read the correct temperature or need to be recalibrated?
I don’t know.

If this can be done quickly, you can see if it changed. It does not have much current going through it.

I’d not want to cut it, but if I had to I would. If it’s inconvenient I’d put the BMS closer or move the battery. If that’s impossible, that’s when I’d extend the probe.

You should be good, the sensor resistance is probably in the 1K ohm or higher range. Adding 1 ohm for additional wire won't be noticed.

I don’t know.

If this can be done quickly, you can see if it changed. It does not have much current going through it.

I’d not want to cut it, but if I had to I would. If it’s inconvenient I’d put the BMS closer or move the battery. If that’s impossible, that’s when I’d extend the probe.
The probe wires are only about 12" long from the plug. In my first build, I had the BMS mounted to the end of the pack and the probe would not even reach to the middle of the pack. The only way that I can mount a prob near each end of the string is to mount the BMS on top of the string.

The probe wires are only about 12" long from the plug. In my first build, I had the BMS mounted to the end of the pack and the probe would not even reach to the middle of the pack. The only way that I can mount a prob near each end of the string is to mount the BMS on top of the @string.
@hwse Were you able to figure this out?
I have been looking at

and
uxcell 10K NTC Thermistor Probe 39.4 Inch Epoxy Sensitive Temperature Temp Sensor for Air Conditioner
Not sure if either of these would work for you.
I am probably going to buy some and try them out.

I ended up not worrying about it. I have the probes mounted to the first and second cell which as far as they will reach but they never show more than a few degrees above room temp.

Back