diy solar

diy solar

LG vs. Sunpower panels. What would you pick

Pepperdust

Hi guys

I’m in Hawaii which seems like a good as state as any to get solar. .33 average cost per KWH..

My question is what panel would you pick as I don’t trust the salesman. He says go sunpower but from what I gather the LG panel is better?? It’s cheaper. More watts. Better diversity in the company. see warranty years. Beyond that I can’t understand the technical aspects. If anyone would be obliged to help that would be a wonderful.

LG: neon 2 ( LG320N1K-A5 )

SUNPOWER: ( SPR-E20-327 )

Last edited:
Hi Pepperdust, welcome to the forum!

Sunpower and LG are both good companies and I don't think you would go wrong with either of them. You may have already seen this but take a look at this link: https://www.solar.com/learn/sunpower-solar-panels-vs-lg-solar-panels-2018-update/

I looked at the specs you linked to and did not see any red flags on either. If you are having the system installed by a reputable pro and they are taking care of the system design, I think I would go on price between the two. (assuming both systems are equivalent for the rest of the components).

If you are building out the system yourself, post info on the total system and folks here can comment on it.
Total wattage, what inverter(s), how you are wiring the panels, off-grid or on-grid, etc.

Also, pay attention to the building code. There was a good discussion today about coming changes to the NEC over on this thread:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/n...-or-microinverters-for-strings-over-80v.2642/

With any First Tier product you're pretty good... LG, SunPower, Q-Cells, Canadian Solar etc are all good. You just have to make sure your buying A Grade and not B Grade or blems (limited defects). Then of course version / generation of the panels too because some vendors sell older stock etc as well... Who is the "best" today ? don't think there is an answer to that, more like who are the top 5, as of this date maybe. Check this out and it will answer some of your questions pretty quickly. https://news.energysage.com/best-solar-panels-complete-ranking/

Not sure if this is true, but heard SunPower only sells to installers... so if down the road you wanted to do some DIY that might be an issue. If I google Sunpower I do see places that say they sell them -- so could be old news.

In order my preference would be:
  1. Panasonic HITs - warranty and longevity, good for hot weather, but voltage is higher than most panels so may not play well with some gear
  2. LG - Almost as good as above and lower voltages
  3. Q-Cells, Canadian Solar, Solar Power - About the same AFAIK, but I didn't look into them as I live in a high velocity wind zone (e.g., coastal hurricanes).
More in Comparing Solar Panels.

It might be because one set of panels matches the input specs of your charge controller better. The Sunpowers have a much higher voltage (+20v VOC) and it might have to do how he arranges the string/parallel arrangement. If you're doing a high capacity array the controller and panels have to be closely matched. What is the charge controller or all-in-one inverter he's wanting to use?
I just did a explanation for a newcomer that stepped through the entire process for him.

Back