diy solar

diy solar

Would you like to help me pick an AIO?

I would consider a Powmr Sunsmart 5000w 48v 110v inverter.

Price is 200-250+- more than the MPP... has a 40a output... it can be paralled in the future with another one for split phase 240...
You can use a DC to DC buck converter 20-25A (48v to 12v) they are not expensive...even amazon has a lot of them...good reviews...

If your concerned about the surge amps of the Mini Split... check out a Soft starter...should help you... and some capacitators... lets stress on the battery with the surge...
Thank you for the suggestion!

That looks like a very nice unit. I could squeeze two into the space I have. I'll have to read through the manual to see if it is supposed to function as I would expect it to.

Edit: I very much like the layout and shape of the holes for the wiring, though it isn't as nice as the EG4 3000W unit.

Last edited:
To update this, I ordered an MPP3048LV-MK and it should be arriving today.

Why did I choose this one? Wider voltage input tolerance and near zero changeover time in the event of a utility power outage. It is also a good price and is more than enough for my needs now, and stackable in the future for redundancy. I really like redundancy.

I hope to see a thread in show and tell after you get it installed.
I have a build thread going:

I have seen a lot of guys doing EcoFLow Power Kits while I was researching mine, but they are more expensive but they tend to be modular, expandable and you don't have to fuss with a bunch of terminals, its all plugs. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about them.

I have seen a lot of guys doing EcoFLow Power Kits while I was researching mine, but they are more expensive but they tend to be modular, expandable and you don't have to fuss with a bunch of terminals, its all plugs. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about them.

They might be a good fit for some people, but, not for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

First off, sorry missed this discussion of the MPP6048's in early Sept, I have 3 and have learned quite a bit about them.
Secondly - I think you made a good choice with the 3048 for your situation, lower cost, can be stacked later if your needs support that, smaller form-factor (the 6048's are very wide compared to most inverters), and you will have lower idle consumption now using the 3048, which is pretty important on limited PV input.

I can’t speak exactly to the 6048 or split phase, but general issues I had with all in ones and inverter/chargers is some operate from the solar/battery, but when solar/battery is not enough, switches to utility only mode, ignoring the solar power.
The 6048 can be set up with just one inverter, recieve 120v single phase on the AC input side, place a jumper from L1 to L2 on the input side only and it will charge batteries ext. It can be set up for output of 120-120 or 240-240- or 120-240 and this is not affected by the input source. So to answer your question, yes - it can receive 120 and output 240. If set up this way, and you go into by-pass - no free lunch, you got 120 only on both legs. This is a very versitle inverter, but suffers the typical problem of entry level (non-tier-one) equipment: high idle consumption - I measure 75W continuous on each inverter. Making it a poor choice in your set up where extra PV panels (to cover the standby) is not possible.

First off, sorry missed this discussion of the MPP6048's in early Sept, I have 3 and have learned quite a bit about them.

I still appreciate your feedback!
Secondly - I think you made a good choice with the 3048 for your situation, lower cost, can be stacked later if your needs support that, smaller form-factor (the 6048's are very wide compared to most inverters), and you will have lower idle consumption now using the 3048, which is pretty important on limited PV input.

After testing the 3048 for a bit, I do think I made a good choice, though, there are a few things that should be improved to make this a really excellent unit. The wiring layout is kinda gross. The lack of a more modern communicating method (RS485 and some kind of CANBUS would make this unit much more valuable), along with a notoriously terrible wifi dongle and really, really buggy software makes that part of it feel like it's a 90s piece of tech instead of something being produced this century.
The 6048 can be set up with just one inverter, recieve 120v single phase on the AC input side, place a jumper from L1 to L2 on the input side only and it will charge batteries ext. It can be set up for output of 120-120 or 240-240- or 120-240 and this is not affected by the input source. So to answer your question, yes - it can receive 120 and output 240. If set up this way, and you go into by-pass - no free lunch, you got 120 only on both legs. This is a very versitle inverter, but suffers the typical problem of entry level (non-tier-one) equipment: high idle consumption - I measure 75W continuous on each inverter. Making it a poor choice in your set up where extra PV panels (to cover the standby) is not possible.

I'm not sure that I'll ever really need another unit in this trailer unless I want to rewire the whole thing and that's not really something I want to do. It's new. Everything pretty much works. KISS is a really good way to keep things working. The only thing that might change that up is if I decide to get a 240V minisplit, but there are so many seemingly decent options, I might not need to do that. Either way, I'll be prepared for the future!

Thanks for your input!

That's daft. I would not want that as it seems a huge waste to go full bypass when there's avaliable power. I watched a video of the 3048LV-MK where it seemed to supplement utility input with solar, and if that's not the case with other units, I'm very uninterested in those!

Two ways I know of to use all available PV and supplement with grid power as needed.

1) Convert grid AC to battery DC, and invert from battery when PV is insufficient.
2) Synchronize inverter to grid, and invert from PV and/or battery, adding power to AC wires but avoiding backfeed (or allowing it, traditional grid-tie for net metering.)

OK, a third way:

3) AC coupled off-grid system. Rectify grid AC and condition through another GT inverter, set to curtail before GT PV curtails.

Maybe four:

4) PV SCC to battery. Inverter powers loads while battery holds out. When battery depleted, turn off inverter and switch to grid power. But PV continues to charge battery.

Does your MPP3048LV-MK do what you want? How?

Two ways I know of to use all available PV and supplement with grid power as needed.

1) Convert grid AC to battery DC, and invert from battery when PV is insufficient.
2) Synchronize inverter to grid, and invert from PV and/or battery, adding power to AC wires but avoiding backfeed (or allowing it, traditional grid-tie for net metering.)

OK, a third way:

3) AC coupled off-grid system. Rectify grid AC and condition through another GT inverter, set to curtail before GT PV curtails.

Maybe four:

4) PV SCC to battery. Inverter powers loads while battery holds out. When battery depleted, turn off inverter and switch to grid power. But PV continues to charge battery.

Does your MPP3048LV-MK do what you want? How?
It seems to, yes. From the way Ian described it in this video:

The 3048LV-MK manages to do that. I won't pretend to know the particulars better than that.

Back