diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 Cell went up in smoke and flame!!

mpopo

Last night, I was in my Van doing some measurements to rebuild the wooden interior, when I heard a silent "poof" followed by a hissing sound and a really bad smell. It was dark already, I checked around and I see flames under the seat where my second bigger set (320Ah) of LiFePo4 batteries was set. Luckily I had a small fire extinguisher at hand so I took it out quite fast. I called the professional who did the installment and he came rushing to my place so we took the battery out.
So what happened? The car was not running, as it is charged only through the car engine. There was no load on it. It was spontaneous.

The wiring was done correctly and the battery supposedly short-circuited inside the cell. The funny thing is, while it was still assembled after I took out the fire, the BMS showed no problems.

This event makes me a bit confused and worried, as I was sure LiFePo4 is safer against fire and with no overcharge (the setting on BMS was way lower to have more cycles).

I went back to the computer to check the store I bought the battery from (AliXpress) and the store doesn't exist anymore (after less than a year).

Not sure what the outcome is, and what I learned, except to maybe buy more expensive stuff, but what I also know, is the more expensive stuff doesn't mean it is guaranteed safer.

Damn.

Attachments

• 20230619_222844.jpg
    20230619_222844.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 336
Yeah, i recently bought a new Van and the idea it would go up in flames is quite unsettling, to say the least.

I posted this, just to let others know that this can happen.

If anyone has any idea what might happen, please comment.

Did you put separators between cells?
Is that how the battery usually sits? It looks pretty bare to me. It could have been some chafing because it's a mobile setup with vibration. The blue plastic wrap around d the cells is really thin and the cells body has voltage, so a bit of chafing and maybe two cells shorted between the wrapping. Another possibility is simply deformation of the cell due to vibration and maybe movement. Maybe it was clamped to tightly?
Maybe a metallic part/tool somehow touched that cells terminals?

I personally prefer to use cells in an enclosure, to protect them better from the surroundings.

Did you put separators between cells?
Is that how the battery usually sits? It looks pretty bare to me. It could have been some chafing because it's a mobile setup with vibration. The blue plastic wrap around d the cells is really thin and the cells body has voltage, so a bit of chafing and maybe two cells shorted between the wrapping. Another possibility is simply deformation of the cell due to vibration and maybe movement. Maybe it was clamped to tightly?
Maybe a metallic part/tool somehow touched that cells terminals?

I personally prefer to use cells in an enclosure, to protect them better from the surroundings.
yes, I would prefer the battery in an enclosure, but because of the lack of space under the seat, batteries with an enclosure don't fit. Regarding what you suggested might have happened is possible, although the rupture was in the outer corner, and the cells were put together with a silicone glue, they could not move, only in unison with the van.

Important Question:
WHAT was the Orientation of the cells ?
They can only be used if:
Standing upright, laying on their side (NEVER ON THE FLAT EDGE)
edited, I wrote this backwards (5 am and first few sips of 1st coffee)

If the cells were on their Edge (narrow sides) then the electrolyte was only halfway up the cell. That creates dry spots and result in heat and...
1687253233018.png 1687253286371.png

Attachments

• 1687253150155.png
    1687253150155.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Yeah, based on your
Important Question:
Standing upright, laying on their "wide" side (NEVER ON EDGE)

If the cells were on their Edge (narrow sides) then the electrolyte was only halfway up the cell. That creates dry spots and result in heat and...
View attachment 153647 View attachment 153648
based on the image, they were in the second position, you can see that on my photo attached.

A further away pic along with close up is more useful for others that aren't in your van with you.

More pics help of the whole setup makes it easier to see possible issues. How are they secured from movement?

Important Question:

Your wording and pictures don't match.
According to Eve, you can orientate their cells any way but with vent down.

I feel if the battery legitimately caught fire, it would not have been extinguished. Like @labeeman said.

Without more pics or info, I couldn't draw a conclusion on what caused it though.

Also, I don't think I've heard of a 320ah Cell. Maybe that should have been a give-away for a cell that a company is trying to just dump on someone because they know they are Grade C or worse. The company no longer being around leans towards this theory heavily.

Didn't insinuate that you didn't know what you were talking about, simply that what you are saying doesn't match the pictures you used.

Didn't insinuate that you didn't know what you were talking about, simply that what you are saying doesn't match the pictures you used.
I agree.
Important Question:

What you wrote, and what the pictures say, contradict themselves.

Last night, I was in my Van doing some measurements to rebuild the wooden interior, when I heard a silent "poof" followed by a hissing sound and a really bad smell. It was dark already, I checked around and I see flames under the seat where my second bigger set (320Ah) of LiFePo4 batteries was set. Luckily I had a small fire extinguisher at hand so I took it out quite fast. I called the professional who did the installment and he came rushing to my place so we took the battery out.
So what happened? The car was not running, as it is charged only through the car engine. There was no load on it. It was spontaneous.

The wiring was done correctly and the battery supposedly short-circuited inside the cell. The funny thing is, while it was still assembled after I took out the fire, the BMS showed no problems.

This event makes me a bit confused and worried, as I was sure LiFePo4 is safer against fire and with no overcharge (the setting on BMS was way lower to have more cycles).

I went back to the computer to check the store I bought the battery from (AliXpress) and the store doesn't exist anymore (after less than a year).

Not sure what the outcome is, and what I learned, except to maybe buy more expensive stuff, but what I also know, is the more expensive stuff doesn't mean it is guaranteed safer.

Damn.
Hmmm.

That image doesn't show much. It is widely known the bare cells need drastic support and separation from each other.
In a mobile situation, ESPECIALLY SO!

Were you recently driving the van? You said it wasn't running but were you driving it earlier in the day?

What is the black tape around the edge of the battery and under it? We have seen images on this forum before where some tight strapping tape has deformed the prismatic case. In that case the user had over tightened strapping just on one part of the cell, rather than applying even pressure for support. Also agree with comment above about insulation between and under the cells - the blue wrapping is not strong enough on its own.

Back