diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 Cell went up in smoke and flame!!

What is the black tape around the edge of the battery and under it?
Looks like some form of black duck tape used to hold the cells together. Obviously the "professional" installer skipped a few basic cell protection features.

I’m not seeing any fire extinguisher residue. So was it CO2 or washed? The terminal, cable or buss is completely missing. Was it removed post event or did it burn away. Could a very loose terminal + high current possibly have cascaded to this? Were you charging/discharging when you happened to be there?

Bare unprotected cells stuffed under a seat could have been damaged mechanically maybe a redesign is in order

Last edited:
Tape counts as compression, right?
Not unless it provides an even pressure across the cell end plates.

I found the thread that I recalled in my posing #20 on page 1 of this thread...

the vent didn't let go.. that looks like a heat issue with current and bad connection appears the terminal melted away.. what was on?
That would be my guess as well. Also with LiFePO4 the smoke was presumably the melting insulation on the cable.

What are temperatures in your area? Just curious what interior temperatures might be getting to in the vehicle. Just a thought…

Potential Problems:

1) Loose bus bars heat up?
2) Rubbing Cells Poorly Secured could have caused a short circuit.
3) Grade B cells and weak/damaged case weldings. This seems to happen more and more, starting form the bigbattery fiasco and now seeing people having issues with 18650 grade B cells, I think more and more we are finding these things creeping up. I just looked at your picture and QR code location would indicate grade B.

Overall, I would have a chat with the "professional" who did your install...

A further away pic along with close up is more useful for others that aren't in your van with you.

More pics help of the whole setup makes it easier to see possible issues. How are they secured from movement?
with nylon straps bolted to the floor of the van. quite impossible to move.
Were you recently driving the van? You said it wasn't running but were you driving it earlier in the day?
Actually no. Although this set of cells was recently plugged into the system. So it had about a week of charging/discharging with not a lot of driving. (currently at home, not traveling)
Hmmm.

That image doesn't show much. It is widely known the bare cells need drastic support and separation from each other.
In a mobile situation, ESPECIALLY SO!
Ok, with this I would totally agree. They were not. That might be one of the reasons. maybe? Still hope it is a defective cell and a seller which is gone from the face of the earth.
What is the black tape around the edge of the battery and under it? We have seen images on this forum before where some tight strapping tape has deformed the prismatic case. In that case the user had over tightened strapping just on one part of the cell, rather than applying even pressure for support. Also agree with comment above about insulation between and under the cells - the blue wrapping is not strong enough on its own.
Black tape was there to secure the cells before the silicone glue started to work. One part of the black tape was also to insulate the connections And yes, better separation. Although, the problem happened inside one cell. the others look intact, but still not planning on using them further, as per the dubious seller.
I feel if the battery legitimately caught fire, it would not have been extinguished. Like @labeeman said.

Without more pics or info, I couldn't draw a conclusion on what caused it though.

Also, I don't think I've heard of a 320ah Cell. Maybe that should have been a give-away for a cell that a company is trying to just dump on someone because they know they are Grade C or worse. The company no longer being around leans towards this theory heavily.
As I said, I was there, it all happened in seconds. After seeing the flame and extinguishing was 5 seconds. And it began slow. I learned that LiFePo4 fire is not the same as standard Li-ion (cobalt)

Attachments

• 20230619_221303.jpg
    20230619_221303.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 96
with nylon straps bolted to the floor of the van. quite impossible to move.

Actually no. Although this set of cells was recently plugged into the system. So it had about a week of charging/discharging with not a lot of driving. (currently at home, not traveling)

Ok, with this I would totally agree. They were not. That might be one of the reasons. maybe? Still hope it is a defective cell and a seller which is gone from the face of the earth.

Black tape was there to secure the cells before the silicone glue started to work. One part of the black tape was also to insulate the connections And yes, better separation. Although, the problem happened inside one cell. the others look intact, but still not planning on using them further, as per the dubious seller.

As I said, I was there, it all happened in seconds. After seeing the flame and extinguishing was 5 seconds. And it began slow. I learned that LiFePo4 fire is not the same as standard Li-ion (cobalt)
Which end failed? Was it by chance the negative end?

“Black tape was there to secure the cells before the silicone glue started to work.”

Be very careful what type of silicone you use around electrical. The acidic type has a strong vinegar smell and is highly corrosive to copper, zinc, tin, lead and most aluminum alloys in the vicinity along with the presence of moisture(even humid air). It does not need to be in contact with the metal to be damaging and it can outgas for many months and much worse in an area of poor ventilation. Use electrical grade silicone or ShoeGoop around your electrical. Note, ShoeGoop can soften or melt some plastics. Have you ever sealed up a box really good with common silicone to keep the rain out just to open it up later and all the wires are a green mess? Now you know.

Tape counts as compression, right?

I don't consider it to be acceptable, certainly not in a mobile environment.

With respect to Steve's pictures, we don't know which direction the pouches (if the cells use pouches) are oriented within the cell. As I recall, the EVE cells are like a jelly roll, so they have no uniform orientation within the cell.

It's been a while since I thought about it, but I thought there was a thread a couple years back where a forum member got in contact with an EVE engineer and they said long side down was OK. There was so much confusion on the topic that I threw up my hands and designed my system so the cells were oriented terminals up, even though long side down would have given me much more flexibility.

I checked my copy of the 2019 EVE data sheet and it doesn't address orientation.

Last edited:
Back