diy solar

diy solar

Lifepower4 batteries problem

Packen

I have 6 lifepower4 batteries. They have been working fine but noticed one of them will only charge up to 73%when the rest of them are fully charged. I just now noticed that while my batteries are at about 45%, that one is at 12% and the alarm light on the battery is flashing. These batteries were all pretty close to the same percentage at one time, so why is this 1 suddenly lower than the rest? It is the second battery in the bank of six.

Could be a number of things. Can you hook up to each battery individually and get some info from them all and post it here?

I have 6 lifepower4 batteries. They have been working fine but noticed one of them will only charge up to 73%when the rest of them are fully charged. I just now noticed that while my batteries are at about 45%, that one is at 12% and the alarm light on the battery is flashing. These batteries were all pretty close to the same percentage at one time, so why is this 1 suddenly lower than the rest? It is the second battery in the bank of six.
So one of your batteries is allways behind in state of charge percentage. It could be that the wires connection need cleaning and retightening, both at the busbar and at the battery terminals.

I was also having a similar issue with one of mine. Updating the firmware to the newest version has seemed to help, it was kind of a pain to get the firmware updated successfully

I will check the connections tomorrow and look into updating the firmware.

Are you just relying on the bms to report state of charge, or have you looked at the cell voltages? It’s probably just the bms not reporting proper soc.

Are you just relying on the bms to report state of charge, or have you looked at the cell voltages? It’s probably just the bms not reporting proper soc.
I am using the bms software. The voltages are all the same, within .05 of each other. How do I know if the bms is reading it wrong and how do I correct it?

If the voltages are the same for parallel batteries the true soc is the same. In order for the bms to have a chance at guessing the correct state of charge, the battery must be both discharged deeply and charged completely. Then there’s a chance the bms will track the soc pretty closely for several cycles.
If you don’t give the battery a deep discharge and charge, the bms will not report an accurate SOC.
The bms’ report of SOC is like the comments posted about a YouTube video: sometimes helpful, but just as often wrong.

If the voltages are the same for parallel batteries the true soc is the same. In order for the bms to have a chance at guessing the correct state of charge, the battery must be both discharged deeply and charged completely. Then there’s a chance the bms will track the soc pretty closely for several cycles.
If you don’t give the battery a deep discharge and charge, the bms will not report an accurate SOC.
The bms’ report of SOC is like the comments posted about a YouTube video: sometimes helpful, but just as often wrong.
They were all the same at one time. I don’t know why this one decided to be so different. So how do I do a deep discharge? Won’t the bms shut it down when it thinks it’s too low? My other 5 batteries are all within 10% of each other, the voltages are the same on all 6.

So I guess in order to update my LP4 firmware I need to buy yet another cable?

Just take them down to 5 or 10 percent, then make sure you charge them fully, an the one odd one will probably start tracking with the others. I have one that does the same thing. I normally charge to 55.8. If that doesn’t reset it try charging to 56.1 or so

On another thread I it was said you may have to charge them to over 57 volts to get them to reset. It only takes a minute to get the voltage up that high, there’s very little energy stored up there.

Back