diy solar

diy solar

Lifepro batteries are only taking about 10% of the amps going in.

Ron62

My 24v eg4 Lifepro batteries 6 of them in a server rack are only taking about 10% of the amps going into them. 50 amps in from the charge controller 3 to 5 amps into the batteries 200 in from the charge controllers 20 to 25 into the batteries. With or without a load same thing. I called signature solar and they say it’s a normal problem and I need to fully cycle them for 7 to 14 days. Run them down from 100% to 25% Kind of hard to fully cycle at a trickle charge but I’m going to try it. Does this make sense? Doesn’t seem right

Last edited:
Have you verified the Amp readings with a clamp meter or such? They just don't disappear so something is incorrect.

This is a common confusion in part.
With 6 packs in parallel, that will work just fine provided everything is wired properly.
Every LFP pack is "independent" due to it's BMS but also the variances of the cells.
Every pack takes charge and in parallel they divide/share all load & charge pretty evenly BUT proportionately, relative to SOC.
As a result it is normal to see amperage float a bit between packs as they charge, balance & level up. Leveling up is between packs keeping an identical voltage. This float will vary relative to the SOC of the packs and you can see peaks & valleys if charting it.

A more extensive example is if you have say 3x100AH Packs & a 1x300AH in parallel you would see something like this:
Assume 60A charge in: Ea 100AH battery would take 10A while the 300AH would take 30A charge (proportional). This is also the same in reverse for discharge, where the larger 300AH pack will output more amps than the 100's. and YES You CAN have different sized packs in parallel with little issue if properly implemented.

What are the settings on your charge controller?
What are the actual volts and amps from the charge controller when charging?
What capacity is each battery?
Can you read the bms on the batteries? What do they say?

Excellent points already posted from members with extreme real life experience.

Also keep in mind that batteries will accept a greater charge when they are “hungry “ so to speak. As they approach full they will accept a lower charge.

All 6 are combined in a server rack but they are all lined together also so the computer should be reading totals right

Have you verified the Amp readings with a clamp meter or such? They just don't disappear so something is incorrect.
No but I have two 100 amp Victron charge controllers I’m reading what’s going in by them the readings as to what the batteries are accepting or losing comes from my computer lined into the server rack. I’ve been off grid over 10 years I’m sure the amount of años going in is right. The batteries are an upgrade this year and my first experience with life pro batteries..

What is the current state of charge for the batteries? They won't take a lot of they are nearly full.

The batteries are lined togeather as is the computer that’s reading them

It’s a victron quatro
Share some photos, of the victron SCC and your battery rack.

Do you have a DC clamp meter?

Share a screenshot of the computer software "bms_test" with all 6 batteries.

Are you using Google translate?

Share some photos, of the victron SCC and your battery rack.

Do you have a DC clamp meter?

Share a screenshot of the computer software "bms_test" with all 6 batteries.

Are you using Google translate?
I’ll do that tommarrow as the batteries are full right now. I Dont have a clamp meter I need to buy one thanks

Back