diy solar

diy solar

Lifting Panels to the roof

caki

Hi Folks:
I finished installing my DIY solar system grid tie 7.1KW on th end of 2019, but I want to share with you guys the methods I used to lift the panels to the roof. For the first 16 panels I run a steel cable between two tall trees over the top of the house. Used a pulley system to lift it and move the panel to the roof. You can see it on this video:
For the last 12 panels I tried something more portable and created a platform to put the panels with wheels that went on a long inclined J steel frame to the roof.
This can be seen here:
Most recently I had micro inverter failures and had to create another rigging to lift panels out of the way, to replace them.
Anyway, I just want to share the ideas. No questions at this time!
Paulo

Let me add that I had to do all that because the panels are double glass frameless. So they are heavy and very hard to handle, differently from a framed single glass panel. I went with frameless because they were the cheapeast. That was not a good decision.

awesome work!

a couple of suggestions from a tech rope rescue guy: ( having lifted heavy stuff up dangerous places a few times)

It's nice to have a capture device on both the lift and the haul.. this is easly done by making up a few prussik cords. One on the pulley on the roof, so that guy wont have to work so hard and maybe on on the ground or at least on the ground guy. so if he lets go it doesnt crash. the prussik cords also act as ratchets,

maybe the guy at the bottom could use some mechanical advantage, a few pulleys would help. the harder you work the higher the risk,.

I would also have had some fall protection on the guys of the roof especially on the edge, a simple rope tied off with a prussik to prevent him from sliding down while he working the edge.. People fall a lot doing this kind of work. and it's easl;y prevented.

I am impressed at your method of attaching the panels. I'll keep it in mind for my next install.

awesome work!

a couple of suggestions from a tech rope rescue guy: ( having lifted heavy stuff up dangerous places a few times)

It's nice to have a capture device on both the lift and the haul.. this is easly done by making up a few prussik cords. One on the pulley on the roof, so that guy wont have to work so hard and maybe on on the ground or at least on the ground guy. so if he lets go it doesnt crash. the prussik cords also act as ratchets,

maybe the guy at the bottom could use some mechanical advantage, a few pulleys would help. the harder you work the higher the risk,.

I would also have had some fall protection on the guys of the roof especially on the edge, a simple rope tied off with a prussik to prevent him from sliding down while he working the edge.. People fall a lot doing this kind of work. and it's easl;y prevented.

I am impressed at your method of attaching the panels. I'll keep it in mind for my next install.
Thanks for the suggestions and the warning. I think I'm done with working with solar panels on a roof. It is hard, dangerous and very tiring. The next setup will be ground based!

Thanks for the suggestions and the warning. I think I'm done with working with solar panels on a roof. It is hard, dangerous and very tiring. The next setup will be ground based!

I am glad you had no mishaps. there is risk in everything we do, but we still need to get he job done.
hope my tips help the next guy have an easier time.

I recently had a discussion with some fire fighters about how they handle cutting holes in solar roofs.. pretty amazing stuff

I was feeling pretty good about my leaning panels on a six foot ladder and just pulling them up onto the roof (10 foot). I only had to do 9 of them though :p

I'm just starting to scheme on how to manage getting my panels on the roof for the rooftop array, and how to lift them and keep them in place while securing them to a south facing wall for that array. This post is super helpful. Thanks very much for posting it!

I probably did a dumb thing when I installed my panels. I used 2 extension ladders. On one I pushed up my panels up the ladder and semi-locked-rested them at the top of the ladder. With the other one, I climbed to the roof. Grabbed the panel, moved it in place and screwed it down. So far I have installed 18 panels. These panels were like 40 x 80, high pitch roof, by myself and I am 65.

I probably did a dumb thing when I installed my panels. I used 2 extension ladders. On one I pushed up my panels up the ladder and semi-locked-rested them at the top of the ladder. With the other one, I climbed to the roof. Grabbed the panel, moved it in place and screwed it down. So far I have installed 18 panels. These panels were like 40 x 80, high pitch roof, by myself and I am 65.
Huh, that's just about exactly what I had been imagining I might do to get my panels on the roof! I'm 63, the panels are only 39" wide x 65" tall, and the pitch of the roof is not all that bad with reasonably good footing. I find your experience of living through your 18 larger panels as somewhat encouraging ;)

I often do "dumb" things like this. And most often survive them without major injury only to discover a much easier and safer solution after the fact. Along those lines, I can imagine rigging up something like that 2"x4" sled shown in the video in this thread with a pully or hoist anchored on the channel strut I plan to use to mount the panels on. That certainly looks safer, and may take less of a toll on what's left of my back and shoulders. Not sure it will work for the side of the wall array, though. That's the one that really has me stumped. Some kind of sled arrangement is bound help the process along, though...

Huh, that's just about exactly what I had been imagining I might do to get my panels on the roof! I'm 63, the panels are only 39" wide x 65" tall, and the pitch of the roof is not all that bad with reasonably good footing. I find your experience of living through your 18 larger panels as somewhat encouraging ;)

I often do "dumb" things like this. And most often survive them without major injury only to discover a much easier and safer solution after the fact. Along those lines, I can imagine rigging up something like that 2"x4" sled shown in the video in this thread with a pully or hoist anchored on the channel strut I plan to use to mount the panels on. That certainly looks safer, and may take less of a toll on what's left of my back and shoulders. Not sure it will work for the side of the wall array, though. That's the one that really has me stumped. Some kind of sled arrangement is bound help the process along, though...
My panels were a little larger 41 x 82. I did not do them all at once. I started out with 3 panels and grew the system from there. Took me about a year to get where I am at today. It was well worth it but my wife said that I was pretty crazy. Just do the install on a wind free day. Wind multiples the problems. I envisioned being blown off of the roof with a sail. I am a pretty stubborn guy and probably "should" have gotten some help or maybe even someone to call 911 when I hit the ground.

The Risky Business of Roof-top Solar Installation!

This is One Way ... actually, there are 4 ways that challengers "logic"

View attachment 83848

The other - is with a Solar Panel Lift/Hoist

See the Video here > https://hermlogic.com/video/
View attachment 83851
View attachment 83852

For More Information > www.hermlogic.com
This system seems like it could be a good solution for large scale installers doing multiple installations on a weekly bases, but why push it to DIYers doing mostly one offs? Are you expecting they will be available to rent? If so, any prediction on what a daily or weekly rate for one would be?

I installed 13 of my 40 x 65 panels on the roof today. Carried up a step ladder, by myself.
My 55 year old back is mad at me. But, the other 7 are going up tomorrow, anyway.
With age comes wisdom, and the propensity to ignore it. lol

I installed 13 of my 40 x 65 panels on the roof today. Carried up a step ladder, by myself.
My 55 year old back is mad at me. But, the other 7 are going up tomorrow, anyway.
With age comes wisdom, and the propensity to ignore it. lol
Exactly! It's likely not a good sign that we gain wisdom and then choose ignore it... I'm right with you on that. Tylenol, or perhaps something stronger, and those last 7 panels are installed, and with any luck the pain subsides, and memory of toughing it out lingers.. And besides, you're just a youngster at 55 ;)

Exactly! It's likely not a good sign that we gain wisdom and then choose ignore it... I'm right with you on that. Tylenol, or perhaps something stronger, and those last 7 panels are installed, and with any luck the pain subsides, and memory of toughing it out lingers.. And besides, you're just a youngster at 55 ;)
It was worth it. Because today, I produced electricity for the first time.

Hey timselectric, how did the rest of your panel install go? Have you been making more electricity? Hopefully you survived long enough see it..

I'm still waiting for my building permit, and chomping at the bit!! I can already relate to the thrill of making electricity, though. I have a small (100W) system on my sailboat, which does remarkably well keeping up with the limited systems, and also a 200W installation on my storage shed that charges yard tools and provides lighting. It's great to see these things actually work! Those inspired be me to tackle something more ambitious for the house. Fun to plan and start buying stuff, but I feel like I may go broke or hurt myself before I get any electrons out of it ;)

Got everything up and running, late last night.
Been testing it hard, today.
It appears that I chose all of the right components.
I'm throwing everything at it, and it keeps begging for more.
Second half of the day is heavy overcast. And, I'm still not paying for electricity, today.
It's a glorious day.

Hey timselectric, how did the rest of your panel install go? Have you been making more electricity? Hopefully you survived long enough see it..

I'm still waiting for my building permit, and chomping at the bit!! I can already relate to the thrill of making electricity, though. I have a small (100W) system on my sailboat, which does remarkably well keeping up with the limited systems, and also a 200W installation on my storage shed that charges yard tools and provides lighting. It's great to see these things actually work! Those inspired be me to tackle something more ambitious for the house. Fun to plan and start buying stuff, but I feel like I may go broke or hurt myself before I get any electrons out of it ;)
Yup, it feels like Christmas.
The fruits of your own labor, can be very sweet.

Got everything up and running, late last night.
Been testing it hard, today.
It appears that I chose all of the right components.
I'm throwing everything at it, and it keeps begging for more.
Second half of the day is heavy overcast. And, I'm still not paying for electricity, today.
It's a glorious day.
Fantastic! Congratulations!! That sounds really great... I hope I'm as happy with mine if and when the time comes!
Yup, it feels like Christmas.
The fruits of your own labor, can be very sweet.
Completely agree! Seems like the more I'm personally invested in the things I use daily in life, the happier I am.

Back