Like to see what AIO can AC charge from a cheap generator

Guda

Superstrut Strut
All these new AIO units with pretty cool features. My MPP is super picky about AC charging. It would be a awesome feature for a AIO to be ok with cheap generator power. Kinda like the Growatt can go to 450v saves $ on combiner box itams. Not needing a inverter generator to AC charge can save big $. Maybe there is already a AIO that does this?

snoobler

Solar Honey Badger
I'm confused.

You appear to be discussing both AC charging the high PV input voltage. They are not related. The growatt capable of 450V PV input must be DC, not AC.

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused.

You appear to be discussing both AC charging the high PV input voltage. They are not related. The growatt capable of 450V PV input must be DC, not AC.
Yeah, he said kinda like. As an example of a feature, not that they are related to the generator question.

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
Op, it is doubtful a cheapo generator would provide clean enough frequency to charge... the motor rpms change too much to be stable. Maybe fully loaded, the speed would be stable, but most likely, it would drop out frequently at best, or damage the unit at worst.

Guda

Superstrut Strut
Thank you all! Sorry to confuse! It would be nice to be able to use a AC charge with cheap genny. I bet they could do it if they wanted to. Maybe they haven't thought to do it. Maybe some kinda qizmo that plugs inline to clean up the power. Transistor maybe?

I got over my irrational fear of generators & was like "sweet no more truck genny" But then it didn't work. So bummed. But I bought it to weld & it does that on propane so its awesome. I just like things to have more than 1 job.

Guda

Superstrut Strut
In my defense. My 1st system was 12v RV & I had 2 different AC chargers both worked on cheap generators.