diy solar

diy solar

Adding a GT4000 opti solar grid tie inverter to AC in of GW es5k AIO ?

Britman

Guys I’m looking at adding a GT4000 opti solar inverter to my system .. it’s a grid tie but I’m wanting to connect it to the AC in of my growatt es500’s as a ‘generator’
Thus maximizing the draw from the GT’s constant AC output.
Presumably I can set the GW function to ‘grid first ‘
Any reason why this would not work ??
Picture is of the GT only .. obviously my GW AIO would be where the ‘connection system’ is labeled ..
Only thing that I noticed in a quick look through the manual was the error code (in PIC 1) the first line
reads 'no utility' = No AC Line

Obviously I'm not tying to Grid ...

'GT4 errors.jpgno intention of being grid tied

image_2024-01-24_180250484.png

It is far from that simple. Did you search the forum for AC coupling? You need to understand why GT inverters do NOT behave like generators. It could end up being simpler/way cheaper to dump the AIO for a bigger one or parallel a second matching AIO.

Link the threads you find and what you have learned/have followup questions on and we can go from there. There are many threads that myself and others have answered this question on already.

It is far from that simple. Did you search the forum for AC coupling? You need to understand why GT inverters do NOT behave like generators. It could end up being simpler/way cheaper to dump the AIO for a bigger one or parallel a second matching AIO.

Link the threads you find and what you have learned/have followup questions on and we can go from there. There are many threads that myself and others have answered this question on already.
Thank you

They wait to see 240V from the grid. Then they full send all power from the solar panels into the grid, and (at present) the grid has infinite capacity to absorb that. A bare bones AIO is not really set up for this, while an AIO that supports Ac coupling usually has extra magic to manage it.

A generator will only send the power that the load needs.

No because this does not address the issue with the grid tie inverter wanting to send full power all the time into the AIO.
Why would that be an issue as the GW has a shore power connection already available which i use at the moment when battery bank gets low?

I was speaking of an off grid scenario. Most of the time you will be off grid.

On grid the GT will push to the grid. This may not be allowed by your POCO.

Can you dig into those threads some more. There are quite a few.

I was speaking of an off grid scenario. Most of the time you will be off grid.

On grid the GT will push to the grid. This may not be allowed by your POCO.

Can you dig into those threads some more. There are quite a few.
Thank you for your patience

Back