diy solar

diy solar

Literal ground mount

kbridgeman

i have a metal tile roof mostly North facing so considering a ground mount. Due to extremely rock ground considering a literal on the ground ballasted system.

my property is south facing and at a 15-20’ pitch In Virginia at 37’

A couple ideas I’m playing with that I’m looking for people to shoot down.
1) Bucket ballast
E1CEDB25-7F66-4D92-8059-ACEE5D550C64.jpeg

2) east west ballast with the spine running down the south facing hill.

61F61418-E9E3-4C85-B989-08B366673118.jpeg
3) flat roof type south facing pitched.
FAA3C266-229B-4BFC-AF00-86CF5B7E8DA8.jpeg

as a reminder property is pitched 15-20’. These last are pitched another 10’.

@Hdonly @Any name you wish i will have a grid tie system so I have some concerns that a homemade system would have approval issues so I’m largely looking at purpose-built stuff, but repurposing it for ground instead of roof.
should I be concerned about approvals on a ground mount?

@Hdonly @Any name you wish i will have a grid tie system so I have some concerns that a homemade system would have approval issues so I’m largely looking at purpose-built stuff, but repurposing it for ground instead of roof.
I can't answer that question. My system is isolated and dedicated to running a TV and desktop/laptop computers. No grid tie.

Mine is isolated as well running network components and using my EV as a dump for power. I don't know what the requirements would be for grid tie ground mounts.

The only entity that can answer the question about whether you need approval for a ground mount is your local authority. I would only be concerned when I found out what their requirements are. As far as engineering, most racking manufacturers supply stamped engineering drawings including how many and how deep the posts need to be. Electrical will follow the NEC for the most part so there is nothing to be concerned about if you know the code.

I can't answer that question. My system is isolated and dedicated to running a TV and desktop/laptop computers. No grid tie.
This is a type of system I'm interested in. Do you have any instructions / resources, which detail how to set it up? Also, any chance you are in the Virginia / DC area — or know others with experience doing this in the area?

In terms of mount, I was thinking about something just like this in my front yard — and then somehow, connecting that to a laptop charger. Does that seem viable?

That mount looks like the wind may spin it around. I can't say what will work in your area. I live way out in the woods and the county doesn't seem to care much about my system as long as it is stand alone. Here is a pic of my inside panel. I have a single circuit from the inverter to my computer stuff inside.

Attachments

• Batt.jpg
    Batt.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 24hours.jpg
    24hours.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Windy here as well. This is what I use and built from material at Home Depot. Wind rocks it a bit but it seems to be working great.

Attachments

• 20220314_151554.jpg
    20220314_151554.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220314_151601.jpg
    20220314_151601.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220314_151616.jpg
    20220314_151616.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220314_151623.jpg
    20220314_151623.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 44
@kbridgeman do you have a link to the bucket ballast ones?
I am also interested in using these types of bucket ground mounts. I was hoping somebody like Signature Solar would start carrying them so I could pick them up locally some day. They look so incredibly easy to install and a smidgen better than laying them on the ground like Will does. They seem to be very common in China, as I've found numerous versions of them available there as well.

Stateside sources:

China example:

First post, I'm not a bot, or a salesperson. I've just been lurking forever.

Back