diy solar

diy solar

Lithium or nimh

Markemac

Looking to add batteries toy solar a friend of a friend. Solar professional. Says nimh is best and all he will use. Opinions?
Will has tested a lot of batteries, which are the best to purchase?

Lifepo4 is the way to go today for solar. Has most of the advantages of Lithium-ion, but alot safer.

Nickel metal hydride? Uh, no. Who sells that kind of storage battery anyway?
That's way old technology - lithium polymer passed it up a long time ago, but they're dangerously explosive. And hence lithium iron phosphate is the gold standard today.

Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NCM) is found in a variety of fast-charge high capacity power units, but it has a much higher risk of fire or explosion if abused.

Here's a technical paper that might help:

And this vid is rather revealing as well:

Looking to add batteries toy solar a friend of a friend. Solar professional. Says nimh is best and all he will use. Opinions?
Will has tested a lot of batteries, which are the best to purchase?
What type of batteries are in older hybrid cars ? Are those cells useable?

Ion and Cobalt based often. Would not put that inside my home ^^.
Modern world: go only for LifePO4.

Even new hybrids are using NiMh. The new Tundra and F150 hybrids are still using them.
I don't think so, but Ford has a terrible web site. From their description of the F150 hybrid:

1.5 kW-hr lithium-ion battery is liquid cooled and engineered to minimize weight while delivering optimum performance. It is mounted between the frame rails below the load floor with a unique vibration isolation system, leaving passenger space and cargo area uncompromised.

Nimh is heavy, has limited power output, and a weak cycle life.

LFP is a bit lighter, has higher cycle life and a long established track record.

Alright LifeP04 sounds like the way to go.
I want to add batteries and be able to use solar when the power company shuts us down.
my system is 13.4k 3 strings with micro inverters, so it will need AC coupling, which devices are the best and affordable, what exactly do i need? I watch a lot of Will's you tubes but I haven't figured out which ones and what exactly I need.
I also have a large diesel generator, I am on grid.

Back