diy solar

diy solar

EG4 low V disconnect, need a low power charger?

boondox

Chief Engineer, RedNeckTech Industries
Friend has an EG4 battery that went into low V protect mode. Signature says he need a small charger to bring it out of protect mode. The manual just says to charge. I don't see what the difference is between a charger and solar panels. Anyone know if you do indeed need a charger and why?

If the inverter or SCC requires battery power to turn on, then it is a bit of a catch-22. If you don't have a battery the charger won't turn on and if you don't have the charger the battery won't turn on.

The other potential is Dark Start if there is RSD equipment on the array. If the inverter needs power to turn on the RSD transmitter and the battery is dead... there is no way to turn on the transmitter so the array won't start providing power..... another catch 22.

If the inverter or SCC requires battery power to turn on, then it is a bit of a catch-22. If you don't have a battery the charger won't turn on and if you don't have the charger the battery won't turn on.

The other potential is Dark Start if there is RSD equipment on the array. If the inverter needs power to turn on the RSD transmitter and the battery is dead... there is no way to turn on the transmitter so the array won't start providing power..... another catch 22.

Thanks for the reply FG. He has MPP solar inverters/charge controller. He has 4-5 other EG4's that are fine to run the inverter. Only 1 got down to charge protect.

I don't understand why SS would tell him to buy a small (5 to 15 amp) charger. Maybe there is a reason or maybe SS is wrong again. I dunno.

I don't understand why SS would tell him to buy a small (5 to 15 amp) charger. Maybe there is a reason or maybe SS is wrong again. I dunno.
The battery has to be charged to the same voltage as the others in order to put them in parallel. If they are in oarallel, but one has dropped out, then just charge, and it will rejoin when the others reach its voltage.

If it is odd man out at a voltage lower than the others, then you need a way to charge it to the point that the inverter recognizes the battery, and can take over charging.

The battery has to be charged to the same voltage as the others in order to put them in parallel. If they are in oarallel, but one has dropped out, then just charge, and it will rejoin when the others reach its voltage.

If it is odd man out at a voltage lower than the others, then you need a way to charge it to the point that the inverter recognizes the battery, and can take over charging.

Thanks. That seems so bizarre. With a typical batteries, put them in parallel and the low batt will just pull power from the others. How close in voltage does it need to be? I could find nothing in the docs, do you know where I can find more information?

Back