diy solar

diy solar

Low Power (10W) Solar Charger for LifePo4

Panoramix

Hello Everyone! First post, sorry if not in the correct thread, please let me know :)

I'm working on a small 12V system with a 10W panel and a 40Ah LifePo4 battery. (I know it would take ages to fully charge, but the goal here is to have a "portable" system with a small panel "always on", and having the possibility of connecting additional panels if necessary).

My issue here is finding a solar charger (possibly MPPT) able to work with a 10W panel.
I initially bought a Voltima SCD12 which is rated for 165Wp, but what it didn't say anywhere is that it needs about 80W minimum to actually start charging... I got this information after talking to the manufacturer, but I don't have any experience in this field, does anyone know if that is a general rule that would apply to all MPPT charger? Meaning I would need about 0.5 x Max power of the solar charger to have it actually charge the battery?

This is my first solar project and I am certainly lacking experience. Here's the main questions I have flying around my head in this moment:
Is there anyone here with experience on "low power" systems such as this one?
Do you have any suggestions on how to choose an MPPT solar charger?
Should I move towards PWM solutions?
Wouldn't there be a problem with using PWM to charge a LifePo4 battery? (Maybe the low power and low currents involved here would mitigate this issue?)

I'm eager to hear your feedback!
Please ask if anything isn't clear.

I'm charging a 230Ah 4S LFP battery with a 100W panel and a PWM Tristar SCC. The battery never really completes a charge cycle, but it has enough capacity to get close to full in the summer and somewhat lower in winter. The constant load I have is only a few watts.

I don't see PWM as a problem as long as the panel voltage is not too high. Putting panels in parallel rather than series can help raise the charge current but not the voltage.

At that size, you're looking to spend $100+ to get less than 1% more power. Stick with PWM until you're getting above the 200w range where the efficiency really starts to be measureable.

Back