diy solar

diy solar

Load terminals on SCC

metalheaddoc

What are the load terminals actually useful for on an SCC? Most of the info I have seen says the not use them. I guess my question is why are the even there if most authorities say don't bother using them.

What are the load terminals actually useful for on an SCC? Most of the info I have seen says the not use them. I guess my question is why are the even there if most authorities say don't bother using them.
Because they look like a good idea for those who don't know better.
There is a lot of stuff made with features that appeal to the inexperienced.
For example, 3000 watt inverters at 12 volts.
Another example combo dc2dc chargers + mppt controllers.

The load ports can be useful but not for anything that draws significant current.
Typically load ports are only included on low end low power devices.

A popular application is to use the load ports for non-critical low-voltage, low-current lighting or signage.

They can also come with timers, like dusk-dawn, or specific hours.

Unfortunately, the load terminals are frequently misunderstood to be the desired connection for significant current draw devices, which they aren't designed for. Some manufacturers will go into more detail, such as maximum current draw on the load ports before it protects itself and disconnects.

Some don't, and let the consumer find out the hard way by visiting forums as to why their 3000 watt inverter and cofee-maker instantly trip. :)

Ever seen a lit road sign with a solar panel? They would use the load control to cut power when no sun, low battery.

I use mine for the lights in the utility room. They're on a motion detector so when I get to camp late at night I can see to turn on the main array and dig out the generator and cord without tripping over stuff.

Yeah, they're low power, but they're more useful than having USB ports on your controller. How many people really want to hang out in the utility room to charge the phone? :)

Is there any easy way to find products to go on those terminals? I may just not know where to look. Or, are people essentially making custom lighting. E.g., I'm a bit new to the game, and I can't seem to easily find "12 V lighting". I was thinking of buying a 12 V auto socket with wires, and just wiring that in, because then I could use automotive stuff.

Is there any easy way to find products to go on those terminals? I may just not know where to look. Or, are people essentially making custom lighting. E.g., I'm a bit new to the game, and I can't seem to easily find "12 V lighting". I was thinking of buying a 12 V auto socket with wires, and just wiring that in, because then I could use automotive stuff.
Anything automotive, RV, and some Marine will al be based on 12v DC and usable. The big one is to find out what the maximum amperage draw of those ports is and not exceed that.

I can't seem to easily find "12 V lighting".

There are 12V LED bulbs that are quite bright. I have lots. My house is 24V, so I use them "in pairs".

Now, those Load ports usually have a light bulb as a symbol, right?
That's just about all they're good for, connecting a LED bulb to them ;·)
-

There are 12V LED bulbs that are quite bright. I have lots. My house is 24V, so I use them "in pairs".

Now, those Load ports usually have a light bulb as a symbol, right?
That's just about all they're good for, connecting a LED bulb to them ;·)
-
Did you wire these yourself? E.g., get a 12V socket with leads and wire it in?

Did you wire these yourself? E.g., get a 12V socket with leads and wire it in?
Instead of connecting a socket to the lead screws and then putting a plug on your 12v Thing, just put the wires from the 12v Thing into the screw terminals.

In my case for the utility room I just ran a wire directly from the screws to the motion sensor, then wire-nutted out from my motion sensor to the 12v lights. It's not pretty but it's been working.

Granted, the last time I was able to get to my camp was before I learned about this forum so I've learned a LOT!

Back