diy solar

diy solar

looking for a decent 24 volt charger

John Frum

Tell me your problems
My current charging solution failed after ~20 cycles.

I have an unusual use case that prevents me from using an inverter/charger.
Looking for a configurable ac2dc_charger of ~30ish amps(say 30-50)amps.
I want configurable charge parameters including charge voltage, float voltage, charge current and tail current and/or absorbtion timeout.

It seems standalone chargers got marginalized by inverter/chargers, I don't want to have to buy an inverter/charger just to use it as a charger.

Thanks in advance for you excellent support.

Did your PM take a dump?
Yep less than 50 charge cycles.
They are sending me a new one but I thought I would start doing my research.
Graham is a good egg.
Geez I hope the new one has the switch and potentiometer on it.

Yep less than 50 charge cycles.
They are sending me a new one but I thought I would start doing my research.
Graham is a good egg.
Geez I hope the new one has the switch and potentiometer on it.

Bummer!

FWIW, I've been abusing my PM4-100LK for about 4 years.

I've personally never seen anything like that. The only thing that I can find that's close is:

25A and allows all parameters mentioned to be configured.

Download VictronConnect and use Demo Library to see all the unit's features.

Did your PM take a dump?

That’s the first charger I’ve seen that allows charge current to be reduced through parameters - do you have any experience with this charger? Do you know of it allows charge current to be modified ‘on the fly’ (in the middle of a charge cycle) through a control protocol / external controller?

I’m seeking a way to achieve zero-export by directing excess Microinverter-generated AC energy into a battery charger (as a sort of programmable dump-load), rather than wasting it (throttling-back the Microinverters)...

I like that it has voltage sense leads but the float is high for my liking.

I like that it has voltage sense leads but the float is high for my liking.
@Will Prowse recommended an AIM charger on his latest video. I was looking for a programable/adjustable charger outside of Victron. I personally ended up getting a Growatt inverter that had the inverter, charger, and MPPT controller all in one.

check it out at 1:59

@Will Prowse recommended an AIM charger on his latest video. I was looking for a programable/adjustable charger outside of Victron. I personally ended up getting a Growatt inverter that had the inverter, charger, and MPPT controller all in one.

check it out at 1:59

I looked at that.
Its hard to source in Canada.
Also expensive and not very configurable.
From memory the charge termination logic or lack thereof was a deal breaker.

I looked at that.
Its hard to source in Canada.
Also expensive and not very configurable.
From memory the charge termination logic or lack thereof was a deal breaker.
I’m following since I’m interested too. I really haven’t found a charger that’s truly programmable like Victron. Programmability is helpful with LFP batteries and setting specific voltage cutoffs.

for the price you might want to consider one of those all in one units like Growatt and MPP Solar. The Growatt that I have can charge up to 60A over AC and the bulk and float voltages and current are all programmable. Plus the 3kw inverter and 80A MPPT controller technically makes the entire unit only $100 more than the Victron 24V/25A charger.

Everything can be customized.

Even has low-temp cut-off.

1617316615791.png

1617316679308.png

1617316695887.png

Download VictronConnect. Open Demo Library, and you can see all of the features/options of any product listed.

Float seems to
I’m following since I’m interested too. I really haven’t found a charger that’s truly programmable like Victron. Programmability is helpful with LFP batteries and setting specific voltage cutoffs.

for the price you might want to consider one of those all in one units like Growatt and MPP Solar. The Growatt that I have can charge up to 60A over AC and the bulk and float voltages and current are all programmable. Plus the 3kw inverter and 80A MPPT controller technically makes the entire unit only $100 more than the Victron 24V/25A charger.
I was thinking I might have to just use the charge function of an inverter/charger.
I've read that the MPP and Growatt units are quite noisy.
The powermax I had was pretty loud too though :).

My current charging solution failed after ~20 cycles.

I have an unusual use case that prevents me from using an inverter/charger.
Looking for a configurable ac2dc_charger of ~30ish amps(say 30-50)amps.
I want configurable charge parameters including charge voltage, float voltage, charge current and tail current and/or absorbtion timeout.

It seems standalone chargers got marginalized by inverter/chargers, I don't want to have to buy an inverter/charger just to use it as a charger.

Thanks in advance for you excellent support.
I bought a mean well 75A power supply that'll do something crazy like input 76-250v and outputs at 27-30v dc. Then I'm sending that through a isdt dc-dc P30 charger that you can parallel the outputs on to get 24v 50A charging out of (or whatever charging current you want). You *could* just run the power supply directly to the battery if you were careful. I'm *not* going to be connecting any balance leads from the P30 because the BMS will do balancing.

If I had my batteries I'd offer to test it all out but alas... I'm waiting on china like the rest of us. :-D

Total cost of it was something like $450 instead of the $700+ you get from the others.

You *could* just run the power supply directly to the battery if you were careful.
I want something with charge termination logic.
Also something with blocking resistors so it can stay attached even in the absence of mains power.

I want something with charge termination logic.
Also something with blocking resistors so it can stay attached even in the absence of mains power.
Yeah that's pretty much why I got the P30. There's a non-BT version that supports 35A output. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 120v->24v charger too.

These chargers are for high end rc helicopters and stuff like that but 24v 35a is still 24v 35a :)

Float seems to

I was thinking I might have to just use the charge function of an inverter/charger.
I've read that the MPP and Growatt units are quite noisy.
The powermax I had was pretty loud too though :).
My Growatt at 30A isn’t loud at all. The beeps though....drive you insane. ? I’ll try posting a video later.

I've personally never seen anything like that. The only thing that I can find that's close is:

25A and allows all parameters mentioned to be configured.

Download VictronConnect and use Demo Library to see all the unit's features.

Did your PM take a dump?

I considered the Phoenix early on but took it off my list. I don't remember all the reasons, but I suspect it was because it didn't have Bluetooth connectivity. Back then, I also didn't appreciate the programmable feature. A little more feature set from Victron and I would have gone for it and would have been way ahead of the IOTA Engineering DLS-55 that I ended up with.

Yeah that's pretty much why I got the P30. There's a non-BT version that supports 35A output. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 120v->24v charger too.

These chargers are for high end rc helicopters and stuff like that but 24v 35a is still 24v 35a :)
I also want the charger to power my system if/when I take the batteries off-line.

So in addition to your laundry list of features, you need it to also act as a power supply.

IMHO, you're back to the PM LK. :)
I think the victron charger will do that but I just checked the price.?
Anyway powermax is sending me a 30 amp unit so I will give it a whirl.

Back