diy solar

diy solar

Looking for expert advice on setting up a system in Malawi Africa for a charity my wife and I run.

Bill Res

We have a house built which we run our charity out off. It’s wired for 240 volts but. We have been waiting for the electric company to bring a meter to it for over a year. Our director back wired a 12 volt battery to use lights in the house. Don’t laugh it actually works. During the day Joseph has a 100 watt solar panel charging a 150 amp sealed lead battery. The lights last probably 4 or 5 hours. Not ideal. He has no other thing running. Thought is was going to temp but now pretty sure we will never see electric there. Need to set a much better system. Thinking a total of maybe 400 watts solar panels. Looking for maybe 12 volt or 24 volt system for batteries. The house wired for 240 volts 50 cycles. Do not know if I should rewire lights to go 12 volts dc. That would be separate from the lights in the house. There is a possibility we could get a meter in future. Would need a 240 volt 50 cycles pure sine way inverter to run at least a small refrigerator plus lights for house and 4 security lights to run dusk till dawn.
many help is very much appreciated. Have a way to ship all most all items to there. They are way to expensive there. To give a example a car tire here cost $100.00 there $300.00 they tax every thing you buy there 18%. Mostly you can get around that for charities. Bill Res

Mpp-Solar.com makes many kinds of off-grid inverters. They are just under Top Tier quality but nowhere near Top Tier pricing.

Do you have any sort of budget in mind?
Do you have access to any kind of tools and wire?

Do you have any way to manage shipping and transportation? Batteries and Inverters are large and heavy.

Mpp-Solar.com makes many kinds of off-grid inverters. They are just under Top Tier quality but nowhere near Top Tier pricing.

Do you have any sort of budget in mind?
Do you have access to any kind of tools and wire?

Do you have any way to manage shipping and transportation? Batteries and Inverters are large and heavy.
Budget is tight looking to stay under $2500 have way to ship 3,000 lbs so weight not a issue. Would have to buy tools here set up a board with most items mounted on it box I remove inverter and box that up. Battery or batteries put in box to ship. If I set up a 12 volt dc light system would have to have every item needed to ship wire lights switches etc. have electrician over there set it up. Or could just use the house wiring to run lights. I’am pretty sure they are still not on led for house lights. Looked the way Will setup his panels think I could buy basic tools to do this remove inverter for shipment. Not sure how big a inverter to go with or how big batteries should be or how many solar panels needed or controller to use. Will seems to now what he’s doing but it’s tough to make big investment have to absolutely sure. By the way I’am very new to this but excited to help make this happen. By thank you.

Budget is tight looking to stay under $2500 have way to ship 3,000 lbs so weight not a issue. Would have to buy tools here set up a board with most items mounted on it box I remove inverter and box that up. Battery or batteries put in box to ship. If I set up a 12 volt dc light system would have to have every item needed to ship wire lights switches etc. have electrician over there set it up. Or could just use the house wiring to run lights. I’am pretty sure they are still not on led for house lights. Looked the way Will setup his panels think I could buy basic tools to do this remove inverter for shipment. Not sure how big a inverter to go with or how big batteries should be or how many solar panels needed or controller to use. Will seems to now what he’s doing but it’s tough to make big investment have to absolutely sure. By the way I’am very new to this but excited to help make this happen. By thank you.
Also located in Ocala Fl also have Amazon prime available. Now this will not be easy but they deserve it over there. We feed 35 orphans on shoe string budget every day plus run a boys program. Mostly from my wife’s church not a big charity but in last 4 years have done a lot of good there.

Also located in Ocala Fl also have Amazon prime available. Now this will not be easy but they deserve it over there. We feed 35 orphans on shoe string budget every day plus run a boys program. Mostly from my wife’s church not a big charity but in last 4 years have done a lot of good there.

This is very doable. It sounds like you have very little energy demands for the night, which is of course probably because they are not used to using it yet.

Solar panels: (by far the best deal I have found yet for used panels, SantanSolar has a listing in the Corporate deals section of this forums)

If all the A/C stuff for household use is 230V single phase, it is obviously easiest to get a 230V 50Hz inverter to match everything else in the region. However, since it is basically "off-grid" it really doesn't matter what you use, as long as it all matches.

Lithium(LiFePO4 are best suited for off-grid house use and can be used anywhere) batteries have an incredible total cost of ownership advantage over lead-acid batteries. But they can be complicated and expensive upfront. Lead-acid batteries are easy to understand and very cheap.

Remember, you are in a DIY forum. :)
(If you want "expert" advice, https://www.google.com/search?q=Oca...33i22i29i30.5886j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Reactions: Dzl
I see you have two threads running, makes things complex.
The inverter you linked to, the Samlex seems suitable. and has a built in GFCi which is great for safety where 230v ac is concerned. One slight issue is the no load current of 1A. Alternatives offer a standby mode that reduces power off load. In practice this may not be a problem as with high ambient the fridge may have a high on to off running cycle.
1000 watts with overload capability should power a small domestic 230ac fridge. Our tests show little difference in power used, when a 230v fridge with a quality inverter, is compared to a 12v dc compressor fridge. Once started the fridge consumes very little power.
The fridge will consume 500 to 1000 watt hours per day, if you convert the house lights to 230ac LED lamps and fit LED security lamps, the additional lighting load will be minimal. You will need to check what type of fitting the lights use, there are two types of bayonet and two of Edison screw. With the British history perhaps the larger bayonet.
At a guess 400 watts of solar with a good controller should generate over 3000 watt hours.
The battery power needs to be a night time buffer for the fridge say 500 Wh as a maximum
The inverter will have some losses and Samlex on a 12v system consumes 12watts even off load, this needs to be taken to account. . Assuming a 12v lead acid battery and a discharge to 50% then a 100 Ah battery should be just enough. Having at least 200 Ah would offer insurance. I expect lead acid is readily available in Malawi.

If you are considering lithium then I suggest a 'drop in' like Battleborn or Renogy rather than a DIY build. (shipping may be an issue).

Since there will be a surplus of power during the day freezing down water in the fridge, ( if it has a freezing capability) will help overnight.

I have been involved with something similar and ideally the setup needs testing fully before shipping. The whole setup needs to be as foolproof as possible, You may need professional help with this. This is a DIY forum and the skill levels vary considerably. 230v ac can kill or burn the house down.

Regards Mike

Thank you very much. What I hope to do is wire everything here. Joseph house is fully wired for 230 volts with circuit breakers, lights, plugs on walls and complete panel box. What it lacks is meter box and electric company to wire it. I have given up after a year of hearing every excuse they have. With this setup we hope to not need the electric company. Maybe going with Lithium from 170 watt hour from big power. I will have the electrician who wired the house do inverter to fuse box. We have four small outside lights that are not led. Will send 4 new outside led lights to replace them. Lights there mean security. We sadly have to have a guard there every night. People notice we feed 35 kids every day. There is a separate electric fence going on the top of wall surrounding the property. They are not bad people just poverty is everywhere. You guys plus Will have been a big help figuring this out. Now I think it’s up to me to raise some money for this so we can get it underway, but at least now I have a better idea of what we need.

Take a look at my little experiment I setup yesterday.

So it's cheaper to buy your batteries here and the ship them than buy there?

Seems like an all in one like the MPP solar unit would be far simpler overall and probably similar in cost to building up a combo of charge controller and inverter? Ebay has MPP Solar units probably about the right size for about $600 the PIP unit below, or the LV2424 can also deliver 230v 50cycle power similar cost. The lv2424 is a 24v battery system you could do with lead acid or drop in lifepo4 12v replacement batteries or 24v truck batteries (with their own bms) or even build your own (cheaper but more complicated)

Will has a hand truck solar build video with an MPP I think. Worth watching to give an idea.

FYI in the for sale section 2 100ah batteries that might be interesting, I don't know if the brand is good.

Seems like an all in one like the MPP solar unit would be far simpler overall and probably similar in cost to building up a combo of charge controller and inverter? Ebay has MPP Solar units probably about the right size for about $600 the PIP unit below, or the LV2424 can also deliver 230v 50cycle power similar cost. The lv2424 is a 24v battery system you could do with lead acid or drop in lifepo4 12v replacement batteries or 24v truck batteries (with their own bms) or even build your own (cheaper but more complicated)

Will has a hand truck solar build video with an MPP I think. Worth watching to give an idea.

Thanks have not bought anything yet. This could work if I go with a 24 volt system. It gives me a lot more options on solar panels. Plus nearly double total solar panel out put over 12 volt system. 3000 watt pure sine way inverter will work for the amount of electric they need mostly need for lights at night. Will go with all led lights in house. Thanks for the link.

Thanks have not bought anything yet. This could work if I go with a 24 volt system. It gives me a lot more options on solar panels. Plus nearly double total solar panel out put over 12 volt system. 3000 watt pure sine way inverter will work for the amount of electric they need mostly need for lights at night. Will go with all led lights in house. Thanks for the link.
There's various size options. The ease of the all-in-one solution is probably a win. Then also these can be wired to the grid if you do get utility power and it will use the utility when it's on and batteries if the power is out.

Sorry to say please do not buy this unit firmware is buggy as hell and the factory wont solve the problem all pip models suffer from this software
This unit has no grounding of pv panels with 450v that is very dangerous.
have the same unit and im not happy with it

Thanks for heads up on this unit. Have not purchased any items yet. Raising money for food right now. Everything else will have to wait. Bill

Thanks for heads up on this unit. Have not purchased any items yet. Raising money for food right now. Everything else will have to wait. Bill
this model PIP-4048MS and this model PIP-5048MS are the only inverters where you can get an after market firmware for
and are save to install your self.
sorry to say these are 48v models so you need to have 16 cells.
this one
i think a compleet set with 280 ah lifepo4,inverter,cables,bms,and small stuff will cost you 2600 euro in the Netherlands delivered on your door step.
add a other 1500 euro for panels.
this is el cheapo
on my project in kenya i was asking for 80.000 euro for a sma set the guy sad yes still thankfull Ubbink B.V.

ps if you ever import lifepo4 cells in Malawi please contact me need to have lifepo4 cells in Tanzania,Moshi

Last edited:
all relevant links sorry some website are dutch but main items are in English

Attachments

• pipsystem.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
Back