diy solar

diy solar

Chargeverter on 120v?

NewGuy23

This is the manual for the EG4 Chargeverter. I want to run it on a 30 amp, 120 volt, A/C grid power supply.

I have tested the chargeverter on a 240 volt output from a generator, and it works perfectly, 2 green lights, and charges according to where I set it. I have also tested the outlet, and I'm getting 123.5 volts.

The plug from the chargeverter is a 4 prong twist lock (stock). The receptacle is the same (wired for 120v). The chargeverter plug says it is 125/240 volt capable, but I cannot figure out how to make that happen. Tech support says I must choose one of the 120 volt only plugs at the bottom of the picture. The pinouts on the right side appear to my untrained eye to be identical, but labeled for different voltages.

Tech support from Signature Solar says I can only use the lower left pinout, the 3 prong twist lock, if I want to use 120 volt power, although I've never heard anyone sound less confident in their answer.

Can anyone shed some light on the proper way to do this?

20231122_135448.jpg

Tech support from Signature Solar says I can only use the lower left pinout, the 3 prong twist lock, if I want to use 120 volt power, although I've never heard anyone sound less confident in their answer.

Can anyone shed some light on the proper way to do this?
Priceless :)

I plan on getting one of these so I look forward to a detailed howto from members that have one on wiring tips !

I got 3 of these.
The PS inside is auto sensing from 90-264V.
No problem running 120V. I run mine with 230V.
If you are going to change the plug (which I did) follow the colors:
Brown - Live
Blue - Neutral
Yellow&green - Earth.
Connect your plug accordingly.

I went with the TT-30P, and it then worked perfectly. It still doesn't make any sense to me why I couldn't get the stock plug to work, but oh well. The only problem I have now is that when the sun comes out, and the panels exceed the voltage that I have the charger set at, it stops charging as it's supposed to, but after a while it will just shut off, fan and all. That's fine, except that it won't come back on unless I unplug it & plug it back in. Does anyone know if it's supposed to behave this way, or how to fix it?

That is a very interesting discovery! I had considered using a chargeverter in the same way by voltage control but ended up going another direction.

@SignatureSolarJess Could you help us out with this to find out if it's an expected function?

Adding on to this question.. if the chargeverter is set to 30A, is it always 30a, regardless if fed from 120v or 240v?

Or is the output effectively "cut in half" when you remove one of the hot legs? ie, 30a@240v, 15a@120v. I'm thinking along the lines of an RV scenario where when you get to your campsite.. you don't know if it'll be 30a 120v, or 50a 240v that is available.

Adding on to this question.. if the chargeverter is set to 30A, is it always 30a, regardless if fed from 120v or 240v?

Or is the output effectively "cut in half" when you remove one of the hot legs? ie, 30a@240v, 15a@120v. I'm thinking along the lines of an RV scenario where when you get to your campsite.. you don't know if it'll be 30a 120v, or 50a 240v that is available.
It will taper off the current as it hits the target voltage, and when my panels exceed the set voltage, it will go to zero, although the fan remains on. When the sun goes down and the voltage drops below my set voltage (52.5), it ramps the current back up. It works perfectly like this for 2 days, then on day 3, after it goes to zero current, the fan will kick off, the current will stay to zero, although the display is still available.

I went with the TT-30P, and it then worked perfectly. It still doesn't make any sense to me why I couldn't get the stock plug to work, but oh well. The only problem I have now is that when the sun comes out, and the panels exceed the voltage that I have the charger set at, it stops charging as it's supposed to, but after a while it will just shut off, fan and all. That's fine, except that it won't come back on unless I unplug it & plug it back in. Does anyone know if it's supposed to behave this way, or how to fix it?
I don't remember mine acting that way.
But I don't remember if I left it on for several hours, either.
This seems odd to me.

I'm looking for more information on how to connect this to my off grid system.
I don't know if landing the chargeverter output leads directly to the Revolt 5kw inverter or the wall battery. I have those click connect (not sure the name) cables ends that snap into the battery leads.
Do I need to look into a battery junction box? N00b here obviously, but trying to learn as quickly as I can!

I have a RE-VOLT system but the company I purchased from (Iron Edison) went out of business and now I'm trying to learn this on my own.

I'm looking for more information on how to connect this to my off grid system.
I don't know if landing the chargeverter output leads directly to the Revolt 5kw inverter or the wall battery. I have those click connect (not sure the name) cables ends that snap into the battery leads.
Do I need to look into a battery junction box? N00b here obviously, but trying to learn as quickly as I can!

I have a RE-VOLT system but the company I purchased from (Iron Edison) went out of business and now I'm trying to learn this on my own.
The connection is usually done at bus bars between the battery and loads.
A junction box with proper connections would be acceptable.

diy solar

diy solar
Back