diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 Chargeverter V2

Almost ordered but really my system is hobbiest level and I only need 1500-2000W top up slowly in the winter so decided this was overkill (wont have a generator)..
I just picked up a 1500W 60V power supply for $250 to top up when needed.

Doesn't look that hard for the V1 anyway, looks like there's enough slack in the control/display cable to allow it to go through a hole in the front panel, then you could easily mount it to a 3D-printed cover/mount that would rotate it 90 degrees. Now I'm looking forward to my V2 delivery even more!
Keeping it in the original enclosure.
I want the factory look.

Remember the chargeverter came about because solar inverters can be fussy about their input where as the CV is not.
That was mostly marketing hype.
The issue was that off grid AIO's have to switch to bypass mode in order to charge from the AC input.
Which usually resulted in overloading a smaller generator. Which caused voltage sag, or just a shutdown. It was hard to set a constant charging current , with constantly varying loads.

The issue was that off grid AIO's have to switch to bypass mode in order to charge from the AC input.
Yes, the AIO's can't charge from genset And invert from ESS at the same time, so
before the Chargeverter option, running generator during a time of low demand (at night) was the safe option, but not really ideal time of day in some cases. "Out in the sticks" it works, but not my favourite thing to go check on a genset at night.

Looking foreward to getting my first V1 soon, and charge anytime I like from generator, like every three months needed or not, to exercise the genset, during the day when I am in the shop !

That was mostly marketing hype.
Which usually resulted in overloading a smaller generator. Which caused voltage sag, or just a shutdown. It was hard to set a constant charging current , with constantly varying loads.
Do a forum search for "inverter does not see generator input" and another for "overloaded generator connected to inverter" and see which one gives you more hits.
Also a CV is about 1/4 the size of an inverter, easy to mount anywhere.

Just got the ship notification (for V1) - Yea! Thank you Current Connected for truth in availability :)

The reason I like the EG4 Chargeverter is the 90% efficiency + variable output. Up till the EG4 I did a group of YZPOWER 48v @ 15a chargers to choose 15a, 30a, 45a, 60a up to 150a thru parallel charging and they advertised at 80%+ efficiency but they were only 60% efficient - unbelievably bad efficiency!, which really adds as charging amps grow. This left me with limited trust in charger advertising :(

Last edited:
Back