diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 Chargeverter V2

That seems weird that champion wouldn't work at all.

Why is your MPP Solar listed as AC input?
In the pic above, I can feed AC into either the MPP Solar OR the Chargeverter. I'm talking about feeding Champion AC into the Chargeverter - the Champion could not power the Chargeverter.

I noticed this morning that 'Eco Mode' is the default for the Champion... I'll try another test with Eco Mode off for both generators.

Received the order a couple of days ago and got one of them installed in the camper trailer! When boondocking, this will let me hook the generator directly to the Chargeverter and still be able to use the full 3000w AC from the MPP Solar. Yellow doesn't fit with the decor but I don't have anywhere to hide/tuck it away :)
View attachment 206275View attachment 206278View attachment 206277

Generator tests.....
MaXpeedingrods 3500w worked - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PBFVWFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
View attachment 206280
Gradually increased the Chargerverter to 50a (on 120v) and the generator was humming along but... when I put a sudden, large load (turned on the hot water heater = 1500w) on the MPP Solar, apparently sudden? pull down on the battery voltage did something to put the Generator/Chargeverter into 'overload' mode. Generator in Eco mode. Found that I can sustain up to ~40a of Generator/Chargerverter charging even with large (2,500w) sudden loads on the MPP Solar.

Duel fuel Champion 2500-Watt (Model 200961) failed - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L45W2V9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
View attachment 206279
Even set down to 2a of charging, and minimal (200w) load on the MPP Solar. When the Chargerverter kicks on it seemed to 'surge the generator'?!? and puts the Champion into overload mode. Even killed it entirely once. Have no idea why! Couldn't get it to do any charging thru the Chargeverter.

Overall - it's a success but I only got 40a (~2100w) of uninterrupted charging when my rose colored glasses were wishing for 3000w. And the Champion is a disappointment. I'll turn off Eco Mode next time - maybe get closer to the 3000w.
View attachment 206283
Ac to dc chargers are not very efficient, you need to account for losses. 2100w into the batteries might be all you can get outta that gen.

From my experience, yes eco mode needs to be off, these chargers seem to "test the waters" a bit before starting the charging process. The eco mode throttle cant react fast enough.

+1
the generator should be sized to run about 70%-75% of it's capacity - will run better, longer, more efficiently. Been my experience.
For the 5kW Chargeverter 7kW - 8kW generator seems right.
Oh and Just got my EG4 Chargeverter V1 today! Yeah!!! (wanted one since last fall, but waited too long and missed out.)
Gotta go install it, be back in a bit...yeah and wouldn't ya know, the sun's bright all day no clouds, ESS fully charged at 1:00pm, three loads of laundry and nice hot shower and still can't use up all the sunlight...okay but come November this chargeverter will be super awesome.

Eco-Mode was blocking the Champion from working!

Did another test with Eco-Mode off -> Chargerverter on the Duel fuel Champion 2500-Watt (Model 200961) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L45W2V9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
1711994100169.png
1712017708187.png
and it worked. You have to explicitly turn Eco-Mode off. The advertising says "....enjoy 2500 starting watts, 1850 running watts..." but NO WAY did I get 1800w.

16a was the max current I could set at the Chargeverter. 17a and the Champion started bogging down.
16a to 53.8v battery = 860.8w of charging. The kilometer on the Champion showed 947w of AC going into the Chargeverter.
860.0w/947w = 90.9% efficiency for the Chargeverter.

The Champion works (good) but it can't do 1850w (disappointing). More like 1000w continuous on gasoline.

Note: The MaXpeedingrods 3500 had eco-mode on as well, and advertises "...With 3500 peak watts and 3000 running watts, ...". I did 50a (e.g. 50a @ 54v battery = 2700w of charging) but it was disrupted when MPP Solar did a large load on the battery so maybe eco-mode off will solve this as well. At a 90% efficient Chargeverter then that's 3000w of 120v generator AC -> 27000w of charging and that's close enough to my rose colored glasses expectations and I'm happy again :)

Last edited:
I noticed the Chargeverter V1 display stops showing real-time current when you do a lot of changes..... Hit Esc as much as you like and it kept showing 0.0a today (and stuck at 11a yesterday) even though my battery shunt was confirming 16a of charging and 40a yesterday.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? A complete reset (remove AC and turn off the breaker) and it will work again until I start making changes.

Weird, it bogs the engine down but doesn't trip the breaker?
What is "the kilometer on the Champion"?
Just brainstorming: Does it help to fiddle with the choke? _CAN_ you adjust the choke, or is it just:
Move EZ Start Dial to the RUN position
Is it possible the fuel vent isn't opening?
Anyone know the PF of the Chargeverter input?
Did you call or email their tech support?
7% 1-star reviews on Amazon isn't a good look...

I noticed the Chargeverter V1 display stops showing real-time current when you do a lot of changes..... Hit Esc as much as you like and it kept showing 0.0a today (and stuck at 11a yesterday) even though my battery shunt was confirming 16a of charging and 40a yesterday.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? A complete reset (remove AC and turn off the breaker) and it will work again until I start making changes.
Stop freaking it out. lol

Weird, it bogs the engine down but doesn't trip the breaker?
At 17amps you hear the engine start to slow and continues to overload mode (engine goes to idle).

What is "the kilometer on the Champion"?
~1000w max output.

Just brainstorming: Does it help to fiddle with the choke? _CAN_ you adjust the choke, or is it just:
It has 'a knob' and you do choke to start it but then 'run' for running - it's not an adjustable lever kind of thing.

Move EZ Start Dial to the RUN position
Is it possible the fuel vent isn't opening?
No, the vent was open - I'm aware of this 'trick' :)

Anyone know the PF of the Chargeverter input?
Yes, I've measured it with Iotawatt and it's 100%.

Did you call or email their tech support?
No, I just put it to stretch advertising going on everywhere these days.
The generator works and is nice in terms of quiet and light, just doesn't deliver more than 1000w.

I agree, could be something wrong with it? but I've replaced it with the MaXpeedingRods and don't want to fool with it. Not trying to say 'don't buy' - just sharing what I'm getting.

7% 1-star reviews on Amazon isn't a good look...
Maybe others will chime in :)

Since this thread started out about the -GC or V2 of the Chargeverter I am happy to say that I received a ship notice from SS and UPS.I should have my version 2 Friday unless the storm screws things up.Can't wait
Woo, as well as Hoo! Let us know how it is, I ordered mine the first day they were available, and I'm currently scheduled for "late April, or early May". Anxiously awaiting your unboxing and teardown. 8*)

Since this thread started out about the -GC or V2 of the Chargeverter I am happy to say that I received a ship notice from SS and UPS.I should have my version 2 Friday unless the storm screws things up.Can't wait
Installed my new V1 last night, since we got some weather moving in today - high winds around here = power outages (darn trees)

I find it interesting that neither Will or any of the other YouTube testers have posted anything about the -GC or V2 Chargeverter, yet they have the new PowerPro which was announced after?:unsure:

I find it interesting that neither Will or any of the other YouTube testers have posted anything about the -GC or V2 Chargeverter, yet they have the new PowerPro which was announced after?:unsure:
Until there’s new software/firmware for integrating the CVGC into the EG4 ESS there’s probably no functional difference.

I have started a new thread on it
Does your thread have a pointer?
Ah:

Back