diy solar

diy solar

(updated) Signature Solar 48v Chargeverter

What are they saying back and forth that would make me want to spend tons of money on, say, eg4 batteries over just buying cells and a BMS and building a homemade battery?
It's all personal preference.
Do you want to do the work and save money.
Or do you want to pay more and save the time.
I have an older 15kw Winco standby generator that works great, but supposedly it may not put out clean enough power to go directly into an inverter?
Maybe
But the bigger issue is for smaller generators.
That aren't large enough to cover the loads and charge batteries.

I guess I want to know an inverter or, in this thread, a chargeverter will charge a battery bank without comms with it?
Well, sure, you can set voltages instead of SOC for starting and stopping your charge (or as someone does, use a contactor to apply/remove AC power from the ChargeVerter and use the generator start relay to drive the contactor) if you get your numbers right.

And newer BMS may have a closed-loop protocol that you can use with your inverter.

Last edited:
spend tons of money on, say, eg4 batteries over just buying cells and a BMS and building a homemade battery?
Eg4 powerpro indoor is $3,431.
16 LF280K cells are about $1,700 delivered from 18650battery store. Add $1,000 (can be less) for BMS, enclosure, etc, and you are at $2,700.

For $700, the EG4 is UL9540, whereas your DIY is not. Add a 2nd battery, and now space becomes an issue. Multi level rack for DIY, or line up PowerPro side by side. Depends on your space, which is easier. Buying more than one of either one reduces per unit costs similarly.

Upgrade to LF314, and you get 12% more power for 15% more battery cost, but the bms, and other cost, stays the same.

15kw generator likely puts out "clean enough" power. You can use 2 or 3 CV to be sure. Note: generator is backup. You don't have to charge to 100% with backup. Charge to 54v, and call it a day.

Last edited:
$1000 for an enclosure and BMS? How.
Bms, case, class t fuse and holder, shunt, switch (60v 200 amp), wire, bench power supply to balance, good clamp multimeter, hydraulic crimper, etc.

Case can be expensive if you buy (250).
I think DIY parts for compression was $50-$100.

Some of the stuff is one-time (but if you don't have it already...) some you should buy for the powerpro (class t fuse, shunt).

$50 here, $100 there, it can add up.

Last edited:
Bms, case, class t fuse and holder, shunt, switch, wire, bench power supply to balance, good clamp multimeter, hydraulic crimper, etc.

Case can be expensive if you buy. Diy case with compression adds $'s.

Some of the stuff is one-time (but if you don't have it already...) some you should buy for the powerpro (class t fuse, shunt).

$50 here, $100 there, it can add up.
You can get a Luyuan box and JK BMS which is basically everything you need for well under $1000.
If you DIY the box further you can get cheaper. I am no where close to $1000 for mine and I've screwed up a bit already and needing more stuff. I may even come in at under $1000 for two boxes, maybe.
Of course you can do things to male yhe box fancy and whatever that can drive cost up. And of course a pre-built has its advantages (UL cert, plug-n-play, less time involved, etc). Pros and cons to both but no need to inflate the cost of DIY.

BMS, breaker, hand built shelving, done.
I have built 5 batteries and not spent $1k yet.
But, I didn't have to purchase wiring. I had scrap lying around.

I have a HAM friend that is advising me to go with Schneider inverters that honestly would be out of my price range. But more back to the topic here, he's now up to 11 batteries of 48v, 200ah each. He sent me to Aliexpress, where I ordered 16 cells and a Daly BMS for $1007. Yes, I'll have to wait two or three months for them to arrive, but $$$. I'll build a rack to suit, but...to the topic, I feel like the advice from another friend is worth taking: don't put all your eggs in one basket. He said it's not exactly wise to buy one inverter/charger/whatever unit to do it all. When one part of that unit fails, you either buy something to pick up that function or you replace the whole thing. And you could've bought individual components to start with and maybe cheaper?? So. I'm learning. Studying. I don't have a lot of money to spend on it, but it's tornado season and it seems that our power coop is targeted by storms these days and my wife was not created to do without power. Not to mention the cost of power is ever increasing. Thanks for the help!

I have a HAM friend that is advising me to go with Schneider inverters that honestly would be out of my price range. But more back to the topic here, he's now up to 11 batteries of 48v, 200ah each. He sent me to Aliexpress, where I ordered 16 cells and a Daly BMS for $1007. Yes, I'll have to wait two or three months for them to arrive, but $$$. I'll build a rack to suit, but...to the topic, I feel like the advice from another friend is worth taking: don't put all your eggs in one basket. He said it's not exactly wise to buy one inverter/charger/whatever unit to do it all. When one part of that unit fails, you either buy something to pick up that function or you replace the whole thing. And you could've bought individual components to start with and maybe cheaper?? So. I'm learning. Studying. I don't have a lot of money to spend on it, but it's tornado season and it seems that our power coop is targeted by storms these days and my wife was not created to do without power. Not to mention the cost of power is ever increasing. Thanks for the help!
That makes sense until you factor in being able to buy 2 or 3 all in ones for the price of one setup via components.

Plus the all in ones are repairable if you buy the right one. You just replace the bad board if something happens and those boards at least with my tp6048 are WAY cheaper than any of the component setups pieces.

Since you will have spares if you spend the same money you can just swap out a bad all in one and be back up instantly while getting the cheap parts to get the bad all in one back going :)

That makes sense until you factor in being able to buy 2 or 3 all in ones for the price of one setup via components.

Plus the all in ones are repairable if you buy the right one. You just replace the bad board if something happens and those boards at least with my tp6048 are WAY cheaper than any of the component setups pieces.

Since you will have spares if you spend the same money you can just swap out a bad all in one and be back up instantly while getting the cheap parts to get the bad all in one back going :)
yeah, all that's crossed my mind a couple times. I throw my hands up and yell, "Well, there's ANOTHER option!" It's SO hard to make a decision. Anyway, I feel like I've hijacked this thread.

Yeah, there comes a point where many cheap things is less expensive than one "Good" one, though everyone gets to make their own choice on each piece. Your HAM friend with his Schneider inverters and AliExpress batteries seems conflicted. 8*)

Be careful with AliExpress unless you know exactly who you are dealing with.

Be careful with AliExpress unless you know exactly who you are dealing with.
With AliExpress you never know exactly who you are dealing with from one day to the next. I mean, I buy $50 depth sensors because they work and I got tired of replacing the $700 ones every few years, but I don't have any great expectations for them. They've lasted a year so far, so I'm pretty happy, and their $3.5 USB-RS485 interfaces seem to work fine, but I wouldn't buy anything that I was going to depend on for safety or continuity of power.

AIO gives you a little more efficiency when going from pv to ac directly. It can do that high voltage to high voltage.

With components, the charge controller steps down to 48v to connect to battery and inverter. The inverter then steps back up to 240v.

Paralleling a component Outback sysyem gives you easily replaceable parts and redundancy, but it comes at a cost of space and $'s. In a remote off-grid situation that helps with 24/7/365 power. In a grid connected residental system, not so important.

Back