diy solar

diy solar

Looking for advice on new house build

oldbigfoot

Planning on building new house in Mich UP would like to use mostly solar. 1000 SQ ft natural gas cooking, heating and hot water. Am leaning towards growatt 12k , trophy 330 battery and around 7k solar. Would it be advantageous to go with a 12 volt system for led lighting through out the house. We currently have a600 watt 12 volt system that we have for most of the lights in our current home. Thought maybe most evenings we would not have to run the larger system. I have learned a lot on this forum and I know you guys are a lot smarter than me. Any ideas?

Planning on building new house in Mich UP would like to use mostly solar. 1000 SQ ft natural gas cooking, heating and hot water. Am leaning towards growatt 12k , trophy 330 battery and around 7k solar. Would it be advantageous to go with a 12 volt system for led lighting through out the house. We currently have a600 watt 12 volt system that we have for most of the lights in our current home. Thought maybe most evenings we would not have to run the larger system. I have learned a lot on this forum and I know you guys are a lot smarter than me. Any ideas?
You could certainly wire for 12V lighting and make it work, but I am not sure it is worth the hassle of building and maintaining two separate systems.

Where are you going to mount the panels? Running 12V everywhere is in my opinion a waste and better off getting a better quality inverter that doesn't have such a high idle current if you are worried about it being on all the time.

Growatt 12K will consume 200W all the time, 24/7, so it will consume 4.8kWh/day before you power a single item.

I don't know what a Trophy 330 battery is, but it will consume about 94Ah of a 48V (51.2V) LFP battery per day.

That's about the first 1000W of your 7000W array to replace that on a daily basis. It will be worse in winter as you get less solar.

Thank you for the responses. The panels will be ground mount. The trophy battery is 304 amp hr figured it would be less wire than 3 sok's or eg4
I was looking at that eg4 18k but it looks more complicated not sure if I'm smart enough to get it working - not too good with computer stuff.have a hard enough time with this phone

I don't know what a Trophy 330 battery is, but it will consume about 94Ah of a 48V (51.2V) LFP battery per day.
They make a 304ah battery, but not sure about a 330.
Has anybody corroborated that? I haven't seen a Growatt, MPP Solar, EG4 manual that wasn't extremely optimistic on consumption.
I had 2x MPP Lv6548s that both drew 62w at idle. 3 watts under spec. Still high though.

I am wanting to run my 3/4 hp deep well pump, 2.5 ton heat pump / AC unit and my hot water heater. Also my dryer and range - all 240 volt.
I am trying to decide on the Shneider XW pro 6.8 or the new EG4 18k pv. I have been told that either one of these would handle all these 240 volt loads. The unit I purchase would only be doing these 240 volt loads, NO 110 loads. Obviously the well pump and hot water heater are on and off all day long. The AC runs a few hours during the day for about a month or so in the summer and the heat pump runs during the day & night in the spring, fall a about a month in the winter. Once it is 20 degrees or lower, it is no longer in use, so quite a bit of the winter the heat pump / ac is not in use. The dryer runs for about a half hour once a day about 3 days a week. The oven part of the range only gets used a couple of times a month, but one or two of the top burners are used once a day / every day. Anybody have any experience with the EG4 18k running a deep well pump and hot water heater at the same time? Along with a heat pump / ac? I am somewhat convinced that the Schneider XW pro can do it, but I only have reviews to base that on and no one seems to talk about well pumps or hot water heaters with them.

Back