diy solar

diy solar

Looking for some info on Santan Solar used panels.

MadSci

Didn't find anything that really addresses my questions with my searching on the forum. Trying to keep my cost down by buying used.

1) Checking out the Santan site, I found some Used Canadian Solar 310W Poly 72 Cell Solar Panels with yellowing between the cells. What, if anything does this yellowing portend (will it have a deleterious effect down the road)?

2) I also found some Used Jinko 310W 72 Cell Poly Panels with rated efficiency up to 15.98% for $108. They have Used Canadian Solar 255W 60 Cell Poly Solar Panels (rated efficiency unknown) for $79. Which is the better panel?

3) I have no choice but to ship these. I did read that someone who picked them up was able to pick and choose. I don't have that luxury. If I have any issues with them, do I have any recourse with Santan? Does anyone have any experience with shipped panels from Santan? I don't think the freight company will want to wait around while I test each one. Inspect - maybe, but not test.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Didn't find anything that really addresses my questions with my searching on the forum. Trying to keep my cost down by buying used.

1) Checking out the Santan site, I found some Used Canadian Solar 310W Poly 72 Cell Solar Panels with yellowing between the cells. What, if anything does this yellowing portend (will it have a deleterious effect down the road)?

2) I also found some Used Jinko 310W 72 Cell Poly Panels with rated efficiency up to 15.98% for $108. They have Used Canadian Solar 255W 60 Cell Poly Solar Panels (rated efficiency unknown) for $79. Which is the better panel?

3) I have no choice but to ship these. I did read that someone who picked them up was able to pick and choose. I don't have that luxury. If I have any issues with them, do I have any recourse with Santan? Does anyone have any experience with shipped panels from Santan? I don't think the freight company will want to wait around while I test each one. Inspect - maybe, but not test.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I bought 20 240w solar panels from San tan solar. 10 for me and 10 for my father in law we split the shipping cost and made it more affordable. I have used them for about a year and have had no problems except for the fact that 3 of them quit working when a 16” tree fell on them but I can hardly blame san tan for that. It is my understanding that it is extremely difficult to tell if performance will be hindered by any form of cosmetic blemish exception of course are cracks that go all the way to the inside of the solar panel specially on the glass at the top. The solar panels that I got were obviously well used and we’re all cracked on the bottom I never bothered to seal them and I never had an ounce of trouble with them but I only used them for a year so far.”

Does anyone have any experience with shipped panels from Santan? I don't think the freight company will want to wait around while I test each one. Inspect - maybe, but not test.
I had no damage when I ordered 2 year ago an entire pallet of the 60 cell Canadian Solar panels. But you should always order at least 10% more panels then you actually need... to either cover damage from shipping or to replace any panel that is underperforming compared to the others.

I ordered 5 of the HT SOLAR 375W 72 CELL MONO PVs, and they were packaged very well and shipped promptly. The only downside was they showed up before I got a notification, and I was not expecting them when the shipper showed. No big deal, they are good to go.

If you can, order one or two extra. Many have wished they had.

Too bad you cannot pickup in person. I had the pleasure once and it was real customer experience. I.E. they do it right.

I picked up 12 (only using 9) of the 250w used Trina panels from Santan for Christmas 2020 ($33.50 a panel!). My only regret is that I didn't buy 5 pallets instead...

I typically get about 70% out of these panels mounted at 10° and pointing southeast (neither optimal) and have never had any issues.

i bought 30ea for $1380 total (including shipping from phoenix to joshua tree) for derated 240w 60-cell trinas. they do not perform well. at $46/panel they generally produce 130w in full sun -- so $0.35/w, and because theyre so inefficient, that's also under 7.5w/sqft.

i've been using 6 on a system for an outbuilding for the last year, but soon i need to use 16 for my main cabin. which is a bummer because at my girlfriend's place she has 6ea mismatched 330w used panels that often overproduce over 2100w. in full summer sun. 115f mojave desert air temps. way hotter up there on a metal roof. but they keep going.

not these trinas. they also produce less in the morning and evening. not happy. i'm using "the" powmr 60a mppt. it's possible a different charge controller could see more watts from these panels? doubt it.

it's really to the point that may e the panels are producing half of what they're rated for because of an internal fault of some kind. i need to make a rack i can stand under and expose the conductors under a panel and test. i don't know much about diodes or the conductive tabs that join solar cells.

i bought 30ea for $1380 total (including shipping from phoenix to joshua tree) for derated 240w 60-cell trinas. they do not perform well. at $46/panel they generally produce 130w in full sun -- so $0.35/w, and because theyre so inefficient, that's also under 7.5w/sqft.

i've been using 6 on a system for an outbuilding for the last year, but soon i need to use 16 for my main cabin. which is a bummer because at my girlfriend's place she has 6ea mismatched 330w used panels that often overproduce over 2100w. in full summer sun. 115f mojave desert air temps. way hotter up there on a metal roof. but they keep going.

not these trinas. they also produce less in the morning and evening. not happy. i'm using "the" powmr 60a mppt. it's possible a different charge controller could see more watts from these panels? doubt it.

it's really to the point that may e the panels are producing half of what they're rated for because of an internal fault of some kind. i need to make a rack i can stand under and expose the conductors under a panel and test. i don't know much about diodes or the conductive tabs that join solar cells.
I have a few thoughts the 240 watt panels you have are used you may have a bad panel or 2 decimating your output. Test each one individually to make sure that each one is operating at the same specs. I have a powmr solar controller that it’s a part of an AIO unit it does not find maximum PowerPoint if it is connected to solar panels when the sun first comes up. If you disconnect it from the panels and reconnected it will then find maximum PowerPoint and you get the full amount that the solar panels can produce. If you haven’t already try disconnecting your solar array and reconnect it in peak sun. If you get expected output at that point you know that the solar controller is the issue. So far as I know if the panels test OK. Obviously for the price and the age of the solar panels you cannot expect them to produce anything like over production. The ones that I used would produce 60 to 70% of rated output oriented flat they would produce 30 to 40% if my controller was not reset after the sun came up completely.

I have a few thoughts the 240 watt panels you have are used you may have a bad panel or 2 decimating your output. Test each one individually to make sure that each one is operating at the same specs. I have a powmr solar controller that it’s a part of an AIO unit it does not find maximum PowerPoint if it is connected to solar panels when the sun first comes up. If you disconnect it from the panels and reconnected it will then find maximum PowerPoint and you get the full amount that the solar panels can produce. If you haven’t already try disconnecting your solar array and reconnect it in peak sun. If you get expected output at that point you know that the solar controller is the issue. So far as I know if the panels test OK. Obviously for the price and the age of the solar panels you cannot expect them to produce anything like over production. The ones that I used would produce 60 to 70% of rated output oriented flat they would produce 30 to 40% if my controller was not reset after the sun came up completely.
interesting! i don't think it's one odd panel. i've tried many combinations of panels, and tested single panels, all with the same result. i have disconnected and reconnected the system midday many times, so the "can't find mpp" issue probably isnt it either.

it's very possible that i did not read the literature on these panels (santan 240) carefully enough and got suckered into buying them. i had such good luck buying used panels prior to this. rereading the spec sheet, it may indeed be normal to get what i'm getting from these, with a NOCT MPP listed as 174w.

Attachments

• 240_260 Data Sheet.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 14
I am looking for 200 plus watt panels in and around Ohio. Driving for them not a problem, Picked up 10 in PA this summer, should have picked up a lot more. I like local pickups the best if possible. Out of the lot most still produce 190 watt each, they are GE GEPVp-205-M (205W) I should say short trips not to AZ or TX a little long for a day trip.

I bought 47 from santan. They perform well and I payed 30 bucks a piece. They were cracked back. I sealed the cracks and still using them, one year.
All panels work and are within spec.
Two panels were damaged in shipping, I was refunded by shipper. Very happy with them. And, yes I ordered 7 extra.
I plan to replace them in 15 years with whatever is high quality at that time. I did not need or want a 35 year panel.

I bought 47 from santan. They perform well and I payed 30 bucks a piece. They were cracked back.
can you say which model you bought, how many watts they were expected to produce, and how many they actually produce?

Sitting here now.... 230watt "cracked vinyl " poly. Output is a very funny discussion. I've chosen a angle to produce the most power in winter (Michigan) as I am off grid. This is not optimal, as far as most are concerned. I bought way more panels than is needed for most. So I produce what I need year round.
Best I can tell, I get 70 -80% rated power on the best day. But remember, I'm at the "wrong" angle during peak summer.

They no longer have my panels. The closest I see is some 280 watt for 52 bucks.
I'm not affiliated with them. But I was happy with their service and products.
Your getting used but they are tested and in good/fair shape
You still can't beat 52 bucks.
The most important thing i can say is to make sure you get a panel that works for your system voltage. String and parallel. You must do the math. (Sorry, that sounds bossy).

i also got santan panels but they arent producing anywhere near the nameplate power of 240w. usually more like 150w. as i said further up in the thread. and i'm in the sunny mojave with the correct sun angle.

the extra annoying part being that maybe 5% of the time they produce over 200w. which messes with how i size the system. my mppt has a 2800w input max. but in order to accommodate the occassional power spikes, i have to undersize the system.

That would be frustrating. Maybe I got lucky again. No panels really put out what they are nameplated, We all get that, but 50% (+ -) would piss a guy off.

This sux.

The first time I ordered 25solar panels from clr_solutions_llc and all arrived in good shape.

This time, 30panels from SanTan Solar, same trucking company, and I can already see at least 2panels on the bottom are destroyed. Won't know the full extent of damage until I get enough time off work to unpack the pallet. Ugh!

I had the same experience. The shippers covered the 2 panels and the portion of the shipping.
They even refunded the full cost of one panel that was only cosmetically damaged.
I wish you good luck with your claim.
P.s. good pictures and as many as they want.

Back