diy solar

diy solar

Looking to extend my Solar Circuits to the main house

anuccite

Here is my current Setup

200Amp Main Panel

100Amp Detached Garage Panel With it’s own Grounding Rods

50 amp (6 awg wire) RV outlet from Garage panel, but it is mounted on the house.

Solar Circuits Panel in Detached Garage Also Bond / Neutral Separate

EG4 3000

I want to now do, Is Take over some circuits in the house (Fridge and some lighting)

My plan is to eliminate the 50amp RV plug and Run conduit to an additional “critical loads” panel near the main panel. Pull the loads out of the main panel completely, and Add to my CL panel I will move the 6awg wire to the solar circuits panel and Just land it to a 30amp breaker.

I realize I will only be able to utilize one hot leg of the RV connection (120v) until I purchase a 2nd Eg4 3000 and move to split phase

What are the Flaws / Concerns in my plan? Please Critique. pic with basic layout
1696950680970.png

So you have a 200 amp split phase (single phase) panel in the house - on the grid I presume?
#6 to 30 amp breaker in Solar breaker panel #2 would be more than sufficient. I would install
a 2 pole 30 so when you get the other EG4 3000 it will be there for other phase. What is the wattage
of your solar array? I assume you have a battery bank - what is voltage(48V). How many amp hours
and what type of battery would you be using? Kinda need to know this before I can make a suggestion.

Bill

Yes, the 200amp Main is on the Grid, I have no plans to push electricity back at the moment. Currently I do not have a battery but it will be 48V (when funds allow) I'm only Supplementing the grid when the sun shines. I have 5600W of used 235W panels in 2 string of 12 (slightly over paneled, but within voltage / amperage specs. Right now (because I only have one Inverter) my average draw is under 1000w, Which is why I want to take over some of the house circuits. Once I get the 2nd inverter I will be able to take over my 240v mini-split and Pool Pump,

I would imagine that grouping of disconnects would apply here. Your house now has multiple sources of power and the code requires the disconnects to be grouped together or signage to be placed at each disconnect location pointing out where the other disconnects are.

I would imagine that grouping of disconnects would apply here. Your house now has multiple sources of power and the code requires the disconnects to be grouped together or signage to be placed at each disconnect location pointing out where the other disconnects are.
Noted... I will make up some labels.

"I want to now do, Is Take over some circuits in the house (Fridge and some lighting)" Not being familar with the EG4, I'm not sure
how stable your voltage will be running this way. Also Sun light is only during the day, how will you switch back to grid at night to
run lights and Frig? My inverters run off battery which is charged daily as light comes on the panels. How will you switch between grid
power and solar power?

"I want to now do, Is Take over some circuits in the house (Fridge and some lighting)" Not being familar with the EG4, I'm not sure
how stable your voltage will be running this way. Also Sun light is only during the day, how will you switch back to grid at night to
run lights and Frig? My inverters run off battery which is charged daily as light comes on the panels. How will you switch between grid
power and solar power?
The Inverter has a utility feed which already is utilized when needed (night / non producing days)

Another thought - you have over 5 kw in panels- will a 3000 watt EG4 be able to handle this without burning up?
Yes, Technically The EG4 3000EHV has a 5000W limit, But I am under Voltage and amperage specs, so I am just over paneled

I am running ~445V (12) 37.1 VOC panels per string 2 Strings 8.31amps Per String

Back