diy solar

diy solar

Losing faith in Victron.

Victron clearly states that support is from the dealer. No one purchases from Victron directly in the US that I am aware of. You have to go to the dealer for that. As with all products there are issues from time to time.
I don't see this as a Victron problem since there has been no evidence given!

@Will Prowse ?

What happened?

Can you comment on the issue with the inverter?

Claims of the unit being "new old stock" that have since been revised from having bugs?
I only have access to the notes at this time but if OP would like to comment they're welcome to :)

I bought a Victron inverter from an authorized seller this year and it came out of the box looking like it was used. Swear to god. It had scratches on the plastic and paint. My vendor handled it great and said it came right from Victron like that. I had to go through the hassle of shipping the used unit. Shipping was paid, but I still had to travel and spend the time to ship it and receive the replacement just because they tried to pawn a used unit off on me.

But now I have problems with the green remote plug. It popped out on its own and the inverter shut down dropping my load. That was unexpected and disappointing. It also pops out after transporting so now I have a lot of focus on keeping that stupid fucking thing plugged in that I don't even need. A lot of the time I'll flip the power switch and the inverter doesn't turn on. So I push on the plug and then it turns on. I have disappointment with Victron quality, but everyone loves them and their marketing is strong so there is no need for them to change.

I think that the inverter has good enough power though and it worked well in 122F ambient heat. My charger doesn't work well in that heat and I wanted the Multiplus 2 12V 120amp charger/3kinverter, but with these problems I'm looking for alternatives. However, there isn't anything else on the market like it.

Last edited:
I only have access to the notes at this time but if OP would like to comment they're welcome to :)
What happened with the RMA process? Does it take a week to get an RMA from Victron? That is not good for off grid folks that rely on this stuff. The OP said no response in 7 days but you got things rolling in a few hours (good job btw). Was the delay with Victron?

What happened with the RMA process? Does it take a week to get an RMA from Victron? That is not good for off grid folks that rely on this stuff. The OP said no response in 7 days but you got things rolling in a few hours (good job btw). Was the delay with Victron?
Well, looks like there has been a change. I just looked at the ticket and it seems there was a misunderstanding. We do not carry the warranties for these products, the manufacturers do. We bring the units back, replace them for our customers, and send the malfunctioning ones back to the manufacturer. OP preferred that we send the part he needed as opposed to a whole new unit, but we do not carry and cannot order parts, so we reached out to Victron to see if they could help OP with just a part but unfortunately, their response has been delayed. So it isn't the RMA that took 7 days, but trying to request for a part through us to Victron, which is not a typical request took the time. However, we offered the RMA to replace the unit but this has been postponed. The ticket states that OP has purchased the part from a repair store to try and fix it himself and if that does not work, he would then like to return the unit for a replacement. We're hoping the part fixes the issue and he doesn't have to worry about it, but we will do all we can to minimize any down time he may have if the part doesn't work and we need to RMA :) Fingers crossed it works!! 🤞 🤞 🔧🔧

What if my system was down and 2 freezers thawing out full of meat

Whatever equipment you purchase and whoever you purchase it from you are unlikely to get a sub-24h turn around for a replacement, unless you have paid for a contract that specifies a specific SLA.

IMHO, if one is off-grid and need to keep freezers working then having dual (or more) redundant systems is the only practical and cost-effective solution.

Edited to add: I had a Victron smart-shunt that failed. The process was to return it to the dealer (in UK), who returned it to Victron to test who gave the go ahead for the dealer to send out a replacement to me. That process took about 2 weeks... I didn't expect it to be any quicker.

Well, looks like there has been a change. I just looked at the ticket and it seems there was a misunderstanding. We do not carry the warranties for these products, the manufacturers do. We bring the units back, replace them for our customers, and send the malfunctioning ones back to the manufacturer. OP preferred that we send the part he needed as opposed to a whole new unit, but we do not carry and cannot order parts, so we reached out to Victron to see if they could help OP with just a part but unfortunately, their response has been delayed. So it isn't the RMA that took 7 days, but trying to request for a part through us to Victron, which is not a typical request took the time. However, we offered the RMA to replace the unit but this has been postponed. The ticket states that OP has purchased the part from a repair store to try and fix it himself and if that does not work, he would then like to return the unit for a replacement. We're hoping the part fixes the issue and he doesn't have to worry about it, but we will do all we can to minimize any down time he may have if the part doesn't work and we need to RMA :) Fingers crossed it works!! 🤞 🤞 🔧🔧

So, OP didn't purchase it through you? or was there some other reason you don't do the warranty on them?

Ok, that clears things up!

If the OP cracks this open and replaces a part that he sourced himself from a 3rd party, wouldnt that VOID warranty?

I bought a Victron inverter from an authorized seller this year and it came out of the box looking like it was used. Swear to god. It had scratches on the plastic and paint. My vendor handled it great and said it came right from Victron like that. I had to go through the hassle of shipping the used unit. Shipping was paid, but I still had to travel and spend the time to ship it and receive the replacement just because they tried to pawn a used unit off on me.

But now I have problems with the green remote plug. It popped out on its own and the inverter shut down dropping my load. That was unexpected and disappointing. It also pops out after transporting so now I have a lot of focus on keeping that stupid fucking thing plugged in that I don't even need. A lot of the time I'll flip the power switch and the inverter doesn't turn on. So I push on the plug and then it turns on. I have disappointment with Victron quality, but everyone loves them and their marketing is strong so there is no need for them to change.

I think that the inverter has good enough power though and it worked well in 122F ambient heat. My charger doesn't work well in that heat and I wanted the Multiplus 2 12V 120amp charger/3kinverter, but with these problems I'm looking for alternatives. However, there isn't anything else on the market like it.

That plug you can replace for a switch .
So you can set it on or off frrom a other space.
Its beult that people on a boat can replace the on and off switch on a other spot.
A boat have in the Netherlands law .
Compleet shutdown if you are not in board for long time.

So your problem have a easy solution .

Really that green stupid thing is nothing else than a bridge so you can use the switch on the inverter.

Other simpel fix set some 10sec glue on it in the plastic.
And your problem is more easy away

That plug you can replace for a switch .
So you can set it on or off frrom a other space.
Its beult that people on a boat can replace the on and off switch on a other spot.
A boat have in the Netherlands law .
Compleet shutdown if you are not in board for long time.

So your problem have a easy solution .

Really that green stupid thing is nothing else than a bridge so you can use the switch on the inverter.

Other simpel fix set some 10sec glue on it in the plastic.
And your problem is more easy away

I'd rather not buy more products to fix what I think is a defect. I thought about glue but then if I did that I'd need to use that stupid green thing lol.

I'd rather not buy more products to fix what I think is a defect. I thought about glue but then if I did that I'd need to use that stupid green thing lol.
I agree .
But i think that the green thing is just out of shape.
Normal you can not easy un plug them .

I have here 2 inverters and 2 battery protect .
And a diode bridge for 2 battery to connect to a alternator.
All use the same stupid plug .
Non have fall out of it.
And its all on a boat that go up and down 24/7 on the water.
Special if a idiot come in to the port to fast and make big waves .
Well my doors in the boat go open and close from the kitchen.

Yes thare some idiots who do not respect the rules.

I have the same inverter, I'll have to take a look tomorrow. Looks like it is just a shorting plug.

If you stick something small and round over one pin I bet you can bend it slightly to add friction. Or just wrap a piece of scotch tale around it and push it in, that might add enough.

Here is the plug from mine - it takes a medium pull to get it loose and it feels nails on a chalkboard rough. See the little hook on the end of the tab? Doesn't take much.

20240719_092321.jpg

I like the idea of giving the pin on the inverter a small tweak to help keep it captured, shouldn’t take more than 5 seconds do do.

I like the idea of giving the pin on the inverter a small tweak to help keep it captured, shouldn’t take more than 5 seconds do do.
the nub/tang on the removeable side takes care of retention.

My 24/1200 came with a mangled retention pin on the connector. I had to bend the plastic back into shape to work like it should.

I use a Wifi smart switch with a cell phone charger plugged into it which then powers a small relay, the contacts of which are connected to that remote connector. I can then use the smart plug app on my phone to turn the inverter on and off, which is super handy if I only want to charge my EV for x hours. Turn it on, and choose the turnoff time, and not have to worry about overdrawing my pack.

diy solar

diy solar
Back