diy solar

diy solar

lTO forklift battery repurposed for expedition camper

So the chemistry is NMC. The battery modules each have a control board that is connected to the Central Control Unit (main BMS) on the top. The CCU powers the module control boards. Without this powered connection, the modules have no BMS functionality at all. As you experienced, simultaneous charging and discharging is blocked as a safety mechanism for the forklift application. I asked if they can provide a CCU image that allows simultaneous charging and discharging, which they haven't replied to yet. Maybe foxBMS / Nuvation Low-Voltage BMS would work here.
Can someone confirm whether or not NMC's have a thermal runaway issue, or at least more prone to it than LifePo4 and Toshiba's LTO's?

NMC has higher energy density and is more reactive to failures than LiFePO4 or LTO according to the common lore, and videos of people driving knives though batteries. i'd imagine these things are engineered well enough to survive in a forklift, as long as they aren't overcharged.

Can someone confirm whether or not NMC's have a thermal runaway issue, or at least more prone to it than LifePo4 and Toshiba's LTO's?
NMC chemistry has notably higher self heating property with relation to cell material temperature, as compared to LiFePO4 and LTO chemistry.

for NMC the heating amount per ampere goes up much more per degree temperature of cell material than LFP/LTO

1658868955897.jpeg

LTO is even less prone to self heating than LFP from what i understand

Thanks for the research. Some of my cells are in Mexico at my house and I am storing the rest for now in Tucson while I move to Ketchikan Alaska for 2 years...eventually, i will build them into a system in My Baja house...lol

So has anyone found a way to charge these? I have a full setup with the main bms. Would like to hear if their is a way to just buy a charger that can run off of house power. 240v single phase. I have 2 different setups. 1 at 100v and 1 at 50.4 volt. Aby help would be greatly appreciated 20220613_175617.jpg20220613_184240.jpg

Your battery is 96V with two 48V batteries in series.

Typically you would want a 48V system for compatibility with most of the equipment discussed on this forum. If it has one central BMS like the forklift version above, then it may not be easy to setup the BMS for the two battery packs to run in parallel instead of series. You might have to buy an alternate 3.6V BMS for each pack.

When it comes to AC powered inverter/chargers, I was just looking at the Sungoldpower 4000w 48v variants of what I guess is the Sigineer LF design used all over, the upside-down U shaped LF inverters. One variant takes 240v split phase and the other takes 120v. I'd totally get one of those with the remote. Or if you are on non-US 240v then get a growatt?

Last edited:
I changed plans from using the 32 CATL LIFEP04 cells I bought in the group buy fiasco (now to be used at my house instead). I've been buying a lot of stuff on Ebay and Alieexpress using an app called social good which gives you 50% and 100% back in crypo for shopping through the app on those site. I bought a Voltabox 426AH 48V lithium LTO battery on Ebay for $7000. It was manufactured in late 2019 but never put in service. The seller has more available. Once I redeem the crypto after 60 days (approval time), I consider my net cost to be around $4000.
The battery weighed 1800 pounds as it is a drop in replacement for lead acid and therefore had to have a lot of ballast to match the LA weight. I hauled it home 430 miles from Tempe, AZ to Death Valley and rednecked it it out of the SUV.
I then took it apart in my driveway, pulled all the cells out and the cells only weighed 606 lbs. All the rest was ballast and the heavy duty steel box. The individual modules are 25.2V and 53AH. The quality looks fantastic with all hardware insulated and stout. The included display read 55% charged.View attachment 77152
Lithium LTO battery has a claimed long lifespan, which is hard to certify. :unsure:

These actually have a split bms system. It has the bms in each cell and a bms charge controller, on the outside. Just trying to figure out how to use what I have. I do not have pictures of the controller at the moment 20220615_212516.jpg20220615_212509.jpg

The central BMS part freaks out if you charge and draw at the same time. If it could be reprogrammed, that would be simple. Unfortunately I have a hard time getting replies from Voltabox/Triathlon Batteries when I press on that question. They did say it was a programming setting.

Hello
I have also managed to buy 20 Voltabox 48v units. I have tried to find some information about them as I would like to communicate with the BMS with the CAN bus, but I am having trouble finding any thing on them.
If any one has any information on the I would be very gratfull.IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG

Back