diy solar

diy solar

Luxpower LXP6K vs EG4 6000XP

Fair enough. My small system is technically not legal either but it’s quite small and more for backup emergency power at this point.

In the US an emergency backup power only system can conceivably be excluded from UL9540 requirements since it's not an ESS. However it may then be considered a UPS... and a UL1741 inverter typically does not have the UPS listing.

This LXP6K just seems very attractive in terms of features for the price but I’m trying to figure out what people will be using them for when we have such strict rules here(I think a few fellow Canadians have bought them)
This isn't the only anomaly out there... Midnite has been shipping a 1741 inverter (Rosie, designed for parallel operation yet none of the major US grids allow 1741 equipment to connect) and 1741SB (ONE) (OK, a lot better, but can only legally be used for gridtie in many states). Victron is in a similar situation with their 1741 MultiPlus approval from late 2023. (two certifications behind)

Most of the Deye-derived hybrid solar/AC heat pumps lack AFCI but do have UL certs. 100% bet those customers are installing on groundmounts /s.

People still buy all of the above and rave about them on the forum.

The NRTL will test anything for a customer.

Anyway eventually when UL9540 DC ESS batteries come out it will likely be legal to use any 1741 inverter with them. Can't say I buy the argument that all these UL1741 equipment are getting listed to future proof for the arrival of this hardware.

I would never buy either one of these inverters. They're both high frequency units with no output transformer so they both have poorer peak power capacities and that offer shorter life expectancies than low frequency transformer based inverters.

I would never buy either one of these inverters. They're both high frequency units with no output transformer so they both have poorer peak power capacities and that offer shorter life expectancies than low frequency transformer based inverters.
I guess there are MANY that disagree.
Better get used to the fact that HF and LF both have their place.

Do you have any reasonably current data to back up this statement? My 50A EG4 will start my 4T goodman, and has been demonstrated pushing over 60A before it safely shuts itself down. There are people on here that have been running HF inverters for quite a long time. These new HF AIO's seem fairly robust, but obviously can not have a 20 year track record yet. I've not seen anyone complaining about the 50A Sol-Ark units falling over and they've been around for several years. Not saying there are no args for the LF unit's, but they seem to be getting thinner and thinner as the HF tech improves/matures.

I purchsed the Lux. I think it's identical to the EG4,but it doesnt have the built in breakers, for battery, load, etc. Also doesnt have the disconnect switch on the right side.

It was, however, available :)

So it turns out they have two models the SNA-US 6000 and the SNA-NB-US 6000, which doesnt have breakers. I suppose the NB means no breakers.
I paid $1299 US for it, so I guess its ok. I would have gone for EG4, but needed soon and EG 4 was backordered

Is it truly identical? Because there could be some modules deleted or wiring compartment changes.

Though no clue how that would add up to 20 lb without basically being a different inverter. I guess if the sheet metal was significantly lightened.
They might have completely different transformer systems in them, which would account for most of the weight difference.

Yeah, but those hands seem really cash hangry.
They probably have multi million dollar mortgage to pay and prefer to give their cash to banks instead of manage their expenses correctly :rolleyes:

Seriously, the 33% higher price for the EG4 6000XP in Canada is BS, but that brings us back to the excellent value of the LXP6K.
Still, I don't know if this Luxpower unit is exactly the same than the EG4 unit.
They're not exactly the same, EG4 installs their own custom firmware on the unit to better integrate with their batteries. Whether or not they're physically the same, I'm not sure.

So it turns out they have two models the SNA-US 6000 and the SNA-NB-US 6000, which doesnt have breakers. I suppose the NB means no breakers.
I paid $1299 US for it, so I guess its ok. I would have gone for EG4, but needed soon and EG 4 was backordered
I just received the no breaker model.

The website picture was only exterior view and I forgot that the 6000xp breakers are visible from the outside. My 18kpv has them behind the cover hatch so I guess that explains not noticing that. The description of the unit says it has breakers and no part number is listed on the web page. Talked to a person from the distributor before ordering. I explained I was looking at the 6000xp and found the luxpower branded unit. He said eg4 basically rebadges them.

The luxpowertek website only shows a model with breakers as far as I can find. So I ordered it. It was an unexpected surprise when it showed up without breakers/pv switch. I am in contact act with the distributor and hopefully will get it sorted tomorrow.😕

I just received the no breaker model.

The website picture was only exterior view and I forgot that the 6000xp breakers are visible from the outside. My 18kpv has them behind the cover hatch so I guess that explains not noticing that. The description of the unit says it has breakers and no part number is listed on the web page. Talked to a person from the distributor before ordering. I explained I was looking at the 6000xp and found the luxpower branded unit. He said eg4 basically rebadges them.

The luxpowertek website only shows a model with breakers as far as I can find. So I ordered it. It was an unexpected surprise when it showed up without breakers/pv switch. I am in contact act with the distributor and hopefully will get it sorted tomorrow.😕
How did this turn out? I have seen both lux models, where the one with breakers is roughly $150 more. Have you commissioned it?

I haven’t done anything with it yet.

Shop Solar Kits has not contacted me back. I called them after I recieved it and explained that it is not as described. They said they would contact me with a plan about it that day or the next. Nobody called but I got an email saying I got assigned a help ticket. So after 4-5 days I called them back and got ahold of the person I had previously talked to. He said that in fact I received the version they were selling. Said they could refund me if I returned it. Frustration that I would have to do the work of printing a label and driving it in to drop it off with no compensation. I asked if I could get a discount if I kept it. That was not possible. I was told to return it I needed to get a return ticket. So I got a return ticket. Supposed to contact you within 72 hours. After a couple weeks nobody has via phone or email. I am getting plenty of shop Solar adds in my email though. 😕

They are proactive in sales, but completely negligent on following through with returns etc. They are pretty nice on the phone, but that doesn’t mean much if they don’t follow through.

After a week or so it looked like they finally updated the description on their website.

I just decided to keep it. Not sure when I will set it up. I am hopping Midnite Solar will come out with slightly more affordable rack batteries with built in breakers to add to it. Because the inverter has no discos/breakers built in. I want batteries with breakers or get a watts247 breaker.

My thought on the inverter is to just get the 6000xp for the additional price from a company with good support like CC. Even if you add your own pv disco and additional ocp etc, it gives you more options as far as leaving those out even temporarily, and you can quickly turn stuff off at the unit. If this unit was $999.99 It would be more of a even decision between the two units.

So far, the only internet listing I see for the breaker model is in Canada with import duties. I reached out to Luxpower for supplier info.

diy solar

diy solar
Back