diy solar

diy solar

makeSkyBluer

I just experienced a flakey random no boot failure.. looks like this msb is slightly slower ramp-up 5v on startup..and causing my QT PY to stumble on power up..I doubled up the 10 ohm 5v input resistor .. 2 x 10 =5 ohms.. so far this seems to be enuff to make it stable start up.. I'll keep checking it today.. might have to go to 1 ohm ..hope not..

I just experienced a flakey random no boot failure.. looks like this msb is slightly slower ramp-up 5v on startup..and causing my QT PY to stumble on power up..I doubled up the 10 ohm 5v input resistor .. 2 x 10 =5 ohms.. so far this seems to be enuff to make it stable start up.. I'll keep checking it today.. might have to go to 1 ohm ..hope not..
On my breadboard, I retained the 15 ohms and 47uF filter going to the xiao only. I added a series 6.2 ohms and 47 uF filter from the 5V input going to the the OLED display only.

this 60A msb micro is stamped BettSun BT62085 small print might be BTS2085..
pin5 does buzz out to the ISP SIL pin next to the end GND pin..

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_094654.jpg
    IMG_20220918_094654.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220918_094658.jpg
    IMG_20220918_094658.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 9
On my breadboard, I retained the 15 ohms and 47uF filter going to the xiao only. I added a series 6.2 ohms and 47 uF filter from the 5V input going to the the OLED display only.
so u are already at 5 ohms.. good..

I uploaded a new version of the display board that MIGHT have 2 mounting holes in the right places for the msb versions that have the 4 metal standoffs mounting the display board..this will make it a lot easier to mount the display board..if u dont have the black sticky molding version..

trying to make doFan() work for PowMr--
void doFAN(){ //FAN control

int32_t x=0;

//Temperature Thermistor
int32_t adc=0;
int32_t a=0;
for(x=0; x<=12; x++){a=analogRead(TEMP_IN);
if(x>=2)adc+=a;}
adc-=adcOFFSET;
adc=adc/10; //divide by 10

// convert the value to resistance
// average = 1023 / average - 1;
float average=adc;

//average=6206/average-1; //MakeSkyBluer 5.0v
average=4096/average-1; //PowMr 3.3v

average = SERIESRESISTOR / average;
//if(Serial)Serial.print("Thermistor resistance ");
//if(Serial)Serial.println(average);

float steinhart;
steinhart = average / THERMISTORNOMINAL; // (R/Ro)
steinhart = log(steinhart); // ln(R/Ro)
steinhart /= BCOEFFICIENT; // 1/B * ln(R/Ro)
steinhart += 1.0 / (TEMPERATURENOMINAL + 273.15); // + (1/To)
steinhart = 1.0 / steinhart; // Invert
steinhart -= 273.15; // convert absolute temp to C

steinhart = (steinhart * 9.0)/ 5.0 + 32.0;

TEMPdeg=round(steinhart);
TEMPdeg+=TEMPvOFFSET;

degHOT=TEMPdeg-ThmStat; //MakeSkyBlue
//degHOT=ThmStat-TEMPdeg; //PowMr
//degHOT=-degHOT; //powmr opposite direction
if((PVv>=BATTv)&&(degHOT>=0)){if(degHOT<=5)fanSPEED="LOW";
if(degHOT>=6){digitalWrite(FANdrv,LOW);
fanSPEED="HI ";}}
if((PVv<BATTv-1)||(degHOT<=-2)){digitalWrite(FANdrv,HIGH); //turn off fan
fanSPEED="OFF";}
}

makeskyblue has the thermistor/resistor from 5v to gnd..
powmr has thermistor/resistor inverted AND betwenn 3.3v and gnd..

Attachments

• makeSkyBluer.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
this looks likeit is working for PowMr--I will continue to test it today..

oid doFAN(){ //FAN control

int32_t x=0;

//Temperature Thermistor
int32_t adc=0;
int32_t a=0;
for(x=0; x<=12; x++){a=analogRead(TEMP_IN);
if(x>=2)adc+=a;}
adc-=adcOFFSET;
adc=adc/10; //divide by 10

// convert the value to resistance
// average = 1023 / average - 1;
// float average=adc;
float average=4096-adc; //powmr/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//average=6206/average-1; //MakeSkyBluer 5.0v
average=4096/average-1; //PowMr 3.3v/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
average = SERIESRESISTOR / average;
//average=average/SERIESRESISTOR;
//if(Serial)Serial.print("Thermistor resistance ");
//if(Serial)Serial.println(average);

float steinhart;
steinhart = average / THERMISTORNOMINAL; // (R/Ro)
steinhart = log(steinhart); // ln(R/Ro)
steinhart /= BCOEFFICIENT; // 1/B * ln(R/Ro)
steinhart += 1.0 / (TEMPERATURENOMINAL + 273.15); // + (1/To)
steinhart = 1.0 / steinhart; // Invert
steinhart -= 273.15; // convert absolute temp to C
//steinhart+=273.15;
steinhart = (steinhart * 9.0)/ 5.0 + 32.0;

TEMPdeg=round(steinhart);
TEMPdeg+=TEMPvOFFSET;

degHOT=TEMPdeg-ThmStat; //MakeSkyBlue
//degHOT=ThmStat-TEMPdeg; //PowMr
//degHOT=-degHOT; //powmr opposite direction
if((PVv>=BATTv)&&(degHOT>=0)){if(degHOT<=5)fanSPEED="LOW";
if(degHOT>=6){digitalWrite(FANdrv,LOW);
fanSPEED="HI ";}}
if((PVv<BATTv-1)||(degHOT<=-2)){digitalWrite(FANdrv,HIGH); //turn off fan
fanSPEED="OFF";}
}

msb V113

Slow progress. This just shows where I connected the 5V power, GND, and analog inputs. I also added a connector to ground the Device Reset pin of the TMS320... chip.

Attachments

• CON1 TAPs.JPG
    CON1 TAPs.JPG
    526.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
msb V113

To make sure my PV and Batt analog taps are correct, I connected the keyboard and the xiao pcb analog inputs connector to the msb. I also connected the original LCD display. The xiao outputs are not connected. I did not jumper the Device Reset of the TMS320... So both the TMS320 and the xiao will be running at power on. The pictures show the voltage readings for PV and Batt. Will find out how to calibrate with meaCulpa's code.
And it looks like my taps are reversed. Or maybe not, in this test I used another power supply to the BT+ and BT- connector. I need to use a real battery and repeat this test.

Attachments

• PV Compare.JPG
    PV Compare.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 8
  • BATT Compare.JPG
    BATT Compare.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
msb V113

Looks like analog taps are correct. I disconnected the PV inputs and only kept the BT inputs and it showed in the displays.

Attachments

• NoPV.JPG
    NoPV.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 6
looks real good..I cleaned up doFan() and added a new const called 'board' so u can select either MakeSkyBlue or PowMr(v113) and any differences between these models will be selected in code.. like in doFan()..

its already set for ur board..apparently V113 is the same board as PowMr..

to calibrate voltages, start with PV_zero.. supply BATT power but no PV.. and adj PV_zero for 0.0
that establishes basic adc offset for all readings..

then adj CAL_BATTv against a DVM

then CAL_PVv

lastly CAL_PVi (optional) it might be pretty close already..

every time u re-compileand upload it will over-write ur adjusted settings..so write down the values as u cal things and u can put these correct values in the EEPROM routine--the first boot-- settings

Attachments

• makeSkyBluer.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
at about line 155, u can select board type..PowMr or MakeSkyBlue...
I had to go back to IDE 1.8.whatever.. 2.0 not friendly to me..dont like the pop-ups always in the way and the edit/find gadget is horrible to use..
wonder if others had same bad experience..
latest .ino attached has some cleaned up stuff.. definitely use it for starting place..

Attachments

• makeSkyBluer.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 7
msb V113

Finally I connected it to a 48V battery pack and a power supply to the PV terminals. Adjusted the gains and I think I got them right. The fan is always on even when i switched the values in the code lines 63 and 64:
#define MakeSkyBlue 0
#define PowMr 1

The NTC terminals read 2.44V and 4.21V, VCC is exactly 5.00V. xiao pin8 (A7) is always at 3.3V. Still troubleshooting.

Attachments

• V113-Values.JPG
    V113-Values.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 10
If xiao-A7 is Hi then FanDr has to be LOW.. make sure the fan FET has a LOW at the gate..
I dont understand the 4.21v on the hi side of the thermistor..I'll measure mine tmro..I thot it was 5.00v..
if u forgot to /mrst the v113 micro, the fan might run..
can u do a power scan and jpg it..

If xiao-A7 is Hi then FanDr has to be LOW.. make sure the fan FET has a LOW at the gate..
I dont understand the 4.21v on the hi side of the thermistor..I'll measure mine tmro..I thot it was 5.00v..
if u forgot to /mrst the v113 micro, the fan might run..
can u do a power scan and jpg it..
msb V113

I think I made two mistakes:

1. Using a 30v power supply connected to BT+ and BT-, no PV power, the high side of the NTC now measures 3.3V and the other side is 1.72V. I don't know why they were reading high last night, will re-do tonight. Tracing the pcb, the 3.3V comes from pin 11 of the tms320, per datasheet, Pin 11 is VDDA (3.3V).

2. On my breadboard, I incorrectly substituted non-inverting buffers (74LVC2G34) for your inverting buffers (74HC14). Will add an inverter to the fan drive signal path. I think I am ok on the pwm signal paths. Will test tonight.

The connector with the yellow loop wire is the /mrst jumper in the picture.

Attachments

• Reset Jumper.jpg
    Reset Jumper.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 14
msb V113

I think I made two mistakes:

1. Using a 30v power supply connected to BT+ and BT-, no PV power, the high side of the NTC now measures 3.3V and the other side is 1.72V. I don't know why they were reading high last night, will re-do tonight. Tracing the pcb, the 3.3V comes from pin 11 of the tms320, per datasheet, Pin 11 is VDDA (3.3V).

2. On my breadboard, I incorrectly substituted non-inverting buffers (74LVC2G34) for your inverting buffers (74HC14). Will add an inverter to the fan drive signal path. I think I am ok on the pwm signal paths. Will test tonight.

The connector with the yellow loop wire is the /mrst jumper in the picture.
pwm drive will also need to be inverted..not just the fan drv

Attachments

• makeSkyBluerSch.png
    makeSkyBluerSch.png
    236.9 KB · Views: 13
pwm drive will also need to be inverted..not just the fan drv
In your schematic, if A8(74HC14-1) is plus, 74HC14-2,3,5 are minus. 74HC14-4 (PWM1) and 74HC14-6 (PWM2) are plus. So effectively, no inversion. I followed the same two buffers in series scheme. But for the fan drive, no series buffers.

Back