diy solar

diy solar

managing settings across several charge sources and one BMS/battery

ianmorris1960

Hi, if the answer to this is already there apologies, I searched and failed to find it!

I have just built a 100Ah 4s Lifepo4 battery with a JBD BMS from LLT. It works

I will be using this in my van, where it will be charged from an epever tracer AN, a sterling B2b and finally a 10A mains charger when shore connected.

The battery is not designed to be used 'off grid' for extended periods, so more interested in optimising cell life than power storage.

My question, how should I set up the B2B, Solar and BMS, the shore charger is what it is. should I set up the B2b & solar to apply a 'lite' policy, then set the BMS to extreme settings, for example, BMS max charge = 14.6v, solar and B2B max charge = 14.3v?

Opinions, experience and suggestions welcome

Thank you

Ian

Equipment should be set for the desired charge/discharge limits.

BMS should be set outside desired operational limits to protect the cells when something goes wrong.

let me add to what @snoobler is saying.
Set the BMS for a safe envelope.
Set the charge sources within that safe envelope.
The charger only sees system voltage but the bms can see voltage at the cell level.
So its best to set the charge voltage conservatively enough that even if your cells are not perfectly balanced at the top the bms won't trip during charge.
The next thing to consider is making sure your charger terminates the charge when the cells are full thus minimizing the time that your battery is exposed to unnecessary stress from charge voltage.
One other thing is to make sure that if you use a float stage that it is low enough to minimize stress on the battery and allow the battery to cycle.
Lifepo4 likes to cycle.
Hope that helps.

Back