diy solar

diy solar

manufactures to use for my new build

pirateMark

I'm in the UK and its come to that time were sadly we are trying to save our home from a mortgage increase that has risen over 120%, we can not afford to use the grid as we don't have the money. We knew this was possible going to happen so in 2021 started our prepping by purchasing a log burning oven, LPG gas bottle hob unit and reducing as much lighting from 240 to a 12v system
I have now saved some money to start my DIY build but I continually read about not buying Chinese equipment but as I'm in the UK what are DIY good quality manufactures I should be looking our for, I'm aware of Renogy.???

My first bit of equipment to buy is the solar controller and the various cables, my back ground is an electrical engineer for the MOD but sadly I don't work now due to ill health, again I've read the Solar controller you should buy as big as you can afford with in the scale of how many panels you intend to use, I'm lucky that my property has able roof space including carport, garage and extension roof all receive full sun all day up to early evening. So I'm looking for a 60-80 amp controller as my first purchase there is a huge amount for sale on amazon/eBay and online but they all seem to be Chinese brands or certainly Chinese made, this is my DIY system so I will add to the build as money becomes available but for moment I'm looking to just cover the very basic at home which is fridge, lights, mobile phone charging as we have no home tell so mobiles only, hovers and occasional power tools.

Sadly, many of the so called 'non-Chinese' brands will use Chinese manufacturing, or at least Chinese components :(

Assuming you are looking to do it at low-cost, I'd say go for the Chinese brands that have been around for a long time and well respected.

Would a hybrid inverter on 240V work out much more than a 12V system? An air-fryer / slow cooker / microwave on solar will still cost less to run than bottled LPG. Just a thought.

Tough situation .... Not to go to far into it , but you'd think someone ex MOD whose given years of their life to serve the country wouldn't end up stuck in a situation like this..... Anyway ...

Out of interest what are you going to do for batteries and solar panels ?

Reco-energy for lead acid / gel batteries, very good lad . You'll want them all matching, get talking to him

eBay for lead acid / gel batteries

Midsummer for brand new panels (they might well do you a good trade discount if you ask nicely)

Giants wood for ex-solarfarm panels . Careful cause sometimes it can actually be cheaper per watt to buy brand new !

Tough situation .... Not to go to far into it , but you'd think someone ex MOD whose given years of their life to serve the country wouldn't end up stuck in a situation like this..... Anyway ...

Out of interest what are you going to do for batteries and solar panels ?
I will have to go with what I can afford to honest, It won't be lithium due to price, the panels I'm still looking for best prices again my reference is online sellers.

I was disconnected in 2020 and left with no gas or electric sas I could not afford it so Bulb disconnected us remotely, untill I did something to change that ??. Life is s*"t but we have to get throught this and make life changes to become free of these curupt government's and companies.

I will have to go with what I can afford to honest, It won't be lithium due to price, the panels I'm still looking for best prices again my reference is online sellers.

I was disconnected in 2020 and left with no gas or electric sas I could not afford it so Bulb disconnected us remotely, untill I did something to change that ??. Life is s*"t but we have to get throught this and make life changes to become free of these curupt government's and companies.

Well will definitely good to be self sufficient for power then !

Some good links there in the thread above, I doubt if you'll need help wiring up lol but do feel free to ask if you need anything.

Sadly, many of the so called 'non-Chinese' brands will use Chinese manufacturing, or at least Chinese components :(

Assuming you are looking to do it at low-cost, I'd say go for the Chinese brands that have been around for a long time and well respected.

Would a hybrid inverter on 240V work out much more than a 12V system? An air-fryer / slow cooker / microwave on solar will still cost less to run than bottled LPG. Just a thought.
We have been cooking on a 19kg LPG gas hob for over 14 months now and still we are not empty, the cost of the bottle was £75 as I did not have a bottle to swap so far the wood fueled oven RayBurn and gas hob has saved us loads and kept us warm as we had no heating on at all over winter. Our new 24 kw combi boiler is a muncher of gas so we can not afford to use it other than essential hot water.

We don't have microwave etc only a electric oven and induction electric hob which is very good but we don't use it that much due to cost.

The Chinese brands have a bad following and reviews this is why I'm stuck on what manufacturers to look at.

Back