diy solar

diy solar

Massive Texas power outage

?

You're saying they're having 200 linemen sleep in a single conex?? I'm not getting what you're saying.
Yeah 3-4 racks tall head to feet, 8 hr rotations one 40 foot trailer can house 90 guys.

Sure it’d take multiple trucks but again when it’s a mater of pure bodies/damage to get the lights on it’s amazing what emergency preparedness preparations can accomplish.

I know NH crews responded to a Florida hurricane or two and were housed in this type of set up. When double/triple time is involved it’s amazing what these guys are willing to do (some just would rather sleep in their trucks.

Good to know you aren't bothered by it all that much.

it's more the fact that at least in this part of TX it's the same people doing the same thing, over over. With zero consequences. Apparently we live in an age where you can hurt other people and face zero consequences.

Don't have a license? oh that's fine
Don't have insurance? oh that's fine
Hurt people repeatedly by not following basic rules like red means stop? oh that's fine.
Caused multiple other accidents and injuries? Oh that's fine.

it's more the fact that at least in this part of TX it's the same people doing the same thing, over over. With zero consequences. Apparently we live in an age where you can hurt other people and face zero consequences.

Hurt people repeatedly by not following basic rules like red means stop? oh that's fine.

Maybe those other people had something like this in an agreement somewhere online, and you didn't see it.

"The Customer agrees to full indemnification for Signature Solar henceforth from any legal recourse relating to and arising out of the installation of the products purchased by the customer."

Substitute "Signature Solar" for "human piece of garbage" and "installation of the products purchased by the customer" for "interactions with the human piece of garbage" and they've got an ironclad way out of responsibility for their actions.

After Texas we here in NW AR got hit by several large tornadoes over Memorial weekend. Power is still out to many (I was fortunate enough to not ever lose power) and likely not going to be fully restored for maybe weeks to some people. The amount of devastation was pretty intensive. My local Elec. Co-Op serves some of the affected area and this morning in a Email they updated customers with how it is going. So far they have replaced 1200 power poles! They did not have numbers on transformers or wire but it must be a freakin lot. Makes me boggle at how much work must be needed over all of it.

Does make me wonder with all the states being recently impacted by Spring disasters if there is short supplies of commercial electric components.

The folks that make treated wood power poles are going to be busy.

After Texas we here in NW AR got hit by several large tornadoes over Memorial weekend. Power is still out to many (I was fortunate enough to not ever lose power) and likely not going to be fully restored for maybe weeks to some people. The amount of devastation was pretty intensive. My local Elec. Co-Op serves some of the affected area and this morning in a Email they updated customers with how it is going. So far they have replaced 1200 power poles! They did not have numbers on transformers or wire but it must be a freakin lot. Makes me boggle at how much work must be needed over all of it.

Does make me wonder with all the states being recently impacted by Spring disasters if there is short supplies of commercial electric components.

Stressing all the supply chains.

My folks in Temple, TX got hit by an F2 tornado Wednesday night and it took several thousand roofs off based on all the blue tarps I saw driving through there on Sunday. Their Power was out for four days and they lost most of their trees, but house was spared.

The next day on Thursday, an hour to the east of them, a Tornado went right over my house. Wiped out tons of big oak trees but miraculously our home was spared. Power here in our area was out (for everyone else) for 3 days. Was shocked to see that my panels were still attached and working.

My wife said it is official now.. our solar system with battery back up for the house has paid for itself! 🤣

This is what the tornado that hit us looked like on radar.

Attachments

• IMG_2305.png
    IMG_2305.png
    887.6 KB · Views: 9
My folks in Temple, TX got hit by an F2 tornado Wednesday night and it took several thousand roofs off based on all the blue tarps I saw driving through there on Sunday. Their Power was out for four days and they lost most of their trees, but house was spared.

The next day on Thursday, an hour to the east of them, a Tornado went right over my house. Wiped out tons of big oak trees but miraculously our home was spared. Power here in our area was out (for everyone else) for 3 days. Was shocked to see that my panels were still attached and working.

My wife said it is official now.. our solar system with battery back up for the house has paid for itself! 🤣

This is what the tornado that hit us looked like on radar.
Will you be building a back up system for your Folks?

Will you be building a back up system for your Folks?
That makes perfect sense but I have the world’s most stubborn parents who refuse to use any technology newer than 1959. I’ve offered generators, battery backups, etc. and all I get is “No thanks, we’re fine”. I had to argue with them that eating the food still in the refrigerator after almost 4 days without power, might increase the risk of food poisoning to a couple octogenarians.

Greatest generation maybe, but certainly not the wisest generation…

yea I posted several pics from our rogers damage a few days ago
if ozark's co-op replaced that many poles themselves can't imagine what swepco and caroll had to do in rogers/bentonville area
must have been over 5k total

I do believe that as the population grows, the demand grows, events affect more and more people when they do hit , and the price of everything grows at increased rates , we will see huge price increases ..perhaps several times what we pay now..
It’s happening to everything else all around us everyday….power will follow suite. It has to..

I do not see a way it can’t if the weather acts up like it’s doing, and prices for everything keep rising.

Those of you who follow the ROI concept on solar costs may be in for a welcome reduction in the break even point timeline.

Lending power to your neighbors ( the other thread) may not be as far fetched as it seems.

Jus my opinion..J.

Better to be the neighbor everybody likes with power in a long grid down situation than the neighbor everybody hates / is jealous of, but has power.

Better to be the neighbor everybody likes with power in a long grid down situation than the neighbor everybody hates / is jealous of, but has power.
That is a great attitude to have about living life ..it’s most admirable …but like food water and meds , there’s a fine line one walks between helping and and becoming a target for the nare-do-wells of life…as they are always watching…
Depending on where one lives , keeping your generating ability sorta low key and understated may well be advised….( or unknown to most)……
It’s not an easy scenario to anticipate…too many variables are unknown and fluid…

J.

That is a great attitude to have about living life ..it’s most admirable …but like food water and meds , there’s a fine line one walks between helping and and becoming a target for the nare-do-wells of life…as they are always watching…
Depending on where one lives , keeping your generating ability sorta low key and understated may well be advised….( or unknown to most)……
It’s not an easy scenario to anticipate…too many variables are unknown and fluid…

J.
Correct. It all depends on if the cat is out of the bag already, and proximity to neighbors. Obviously if everybody sees your lights on, and big batteries and solar panels are on your house, it's going to be hard to hide it.

When it goes down, it can become a poop show real quick.

I do believe that as the population grows, the demand grows, events affect more and more people when they do hit , and the price of everything grows at increased rates , we will see huge price increases ..perhaps several times what we pay now..
It’s happening to everything else all around us everyday….power will follow suite. It has to..

I do not see a way it can’t if the weather acts up like it’s doing, and prices for everything keep rising.

Those of you who follow the ROI concept on solar costs may be in for a welcome reduction in the break even point timeline.

Lending power to your neighbors ( the other thread) may not be as far fetched as it seems.

Jus my opinion..J.

I think you are right @JRH. Not only EV's but the AI revolution (if it ever comes) will be a huge electricity hog. Can't see how energy prices can keep from going up...

Correct. It all depends on if the cat is out of the bag already, and proximity to neighbors. Obviously if everybody sees your lights on, and big batteries and solar panels are on your house, it's going to be hard to hide it.

When it goes down, it can become a poop show real quick.
You can break in and steal a bag of wheat, gasoline, ammo, even food and run down the street escaping…....but how does one steal kwh’s…
ya can’t…and ya can’t easily steal the equipment making and storing the energy…

and what percentage of people alive would know how to operate your particular system..

The only option left unless your a rare person of solar skills is commandeer the whole system in its place….your home
That option presents some troubling thoughts as to how that could play out…do they make you run stuff for them ..or else..?
Sounds like the scenario a pilot faces when bad guys jack a plane…not good …

My best thoughts on this is “never be a fat man in a hungry town ”…..you will be noticed ..

If an outage turns to a long term outage , it would be wise to never flaunt your lights at night boldly.. buy some flickering electric candles or somthing ..go to sleep..blanket the windows ..

run a small genny now and then to seem normal…don’t stand out as a “have” ,around have nots.

Do your stuff during the day privately…lights at night are your worst enemy..

When i go to the local gas station ..only one in 15 miles ,sometimes people sorta ask me about my solar stuff….

Generally I say it’s for charging a phone or iPad…a radio..
sometimes I say “ aww it’s great but it never seems to work ….damn thing *#(*@ me off…I think mice eat the wires or somthing…

All in all after 5 years since starting this solar build ,about 4 people are aware of its presence and ZERO know what it can really do…or how it works.

Once again that’s why I live away from folks…
If one lives in a suburb or city, then I have no idea what could happen….anything’s possible.

J.

Solar power itself is super cheap, and it doesn't take the time line to build that a gas plant needs. If we can solve storage, I can see electricity rates staying steady rather than increasing. In the other thread a member pointed out parts of California have 20% of night time electric supplied by batteries (a surprise to me) perhaps the storage nut isn't going to be cracked so far in the future as I assumed.

Man, there are some paranoid people around here. Get your head out your phone and go meet your neighbors. Mine all know about our solar panels. And most of them have generators.
In my father's later years I noticed he was getting paranoid in my opinion. When I confronted him about it, I said " are you getting a little paranoid?". His response was "yea, but am I paranoid enough!". Good point dad, good point. RIP

Not just Texas unfortunately. People are driving like idiots everywhere.

Reactions: JRH
Solar power itself is super cheap, and it doesn't take the time line to build that a gas plant needs. If we can solve storage, I can see electricity rates staying steady rather than increasing. In the other thread a member pointed out parts of California have 20% of night time electric supplied by batteries (a surprise to me) perhaps the storage nut isn't going to be cracked so far in the future as I assumed.
Sorry. Not "Super Cheap", particularly not at scale. A large scale gas generator is going to be the cheaper, more scaleable and the timeline is not that long. My DIY setup has cost me over $40,000. That's 15+ years of commercially generated power at retail, if it operates flawlessly over that time period, so the given ROI is somewhat dubious. There was not a single cloud in the sky all day today. I live in a decidedly optimal location for solar, not everyone can say that, and you cannot guarantee production even here, thus at some point you might need a generator or commercially generated power from somewhere.

Please don't get me wrong I think solar is a tremendous idea, just don't over-sell it. I think it makes a great supplement, particularly around here to shave peak demand, but dropping in new capacity or building a new gas plant and scaling it up to ~ 500MW is well defined and relatively quick and easy. The things that make it take longer and cost more are more generally related to regulation and legal shenanigans.

500MW of solar is going to be like 1.3 million 500W panels while the sun is shining. Now let's scale that and assume we steady state with 150MW * 24 hours = 3.6GW of output daily. So we probably need to double the panels, and find about 3.0GWH (or more) of batteries to have a little buffer, to replace a couple million dollar gas powered facility in an unreliable fashion, to the point that YOU STILL NEED the gas powered plant in case the sun doesn't shine for two days.

3GWH of todays batteries would be what 3000000KWH/5KWH = 600,000 4U rack mounted units. If a magic bullet hits, and we cut that to 1/3 it's still 200,000 units, and I still can't replace the power station in Tempe.

Please don't get me wrong I think solar is a tremendous idea, just don't over-sell it. I think it makes a great supplement, particularly around here to shave peak demand, but dropping in new capacity or building a new gas plant and scaling it up to ~ 500MW is well defined and relatively quick and easy. The things that make it take longer and cost more are more generally related to regulation and legal shenanigans.

Those things are one of the big problems with solar and batteries for individual homes also. A solar system, batteries and a small propane generator at individual homes could easily take off a significant amount of load from the power companies, without making them have to build a new power plant. It would also spread the power generation and redundancy across a greater area.. which could be handy for weather related events and terrorist activity.

From another forum, apparently this was the view on the 25th.

View attachment 219263
the view from where over what city?
I offered everyone power but nobody wanted any lol
one person gave me stuff to put in the freezer though

Reactions: JRH
So we probably need to double the panels, and find about 3.0GWH (or more) of batteries to have a little buffer, to replace a couple million dollar gas powered facility in an unreliable fashion, to the point that YOU STILL NEED the gas powered plant in case the sun doesn't shine for two days.
I'm not sure how much a 500MWh gas plant costs but it's got to be more than a couple million dollars? On a utilitiy scale prob makes more sense to colocate the batteries with solar or wind, so you can potentially charge up without tapping into the grid.

I'm not sure how much a 500MWh gas plant costs but it's got to be more than a couple million dollars? On a utilitiy scale prob makes more sense to colocate the batteries with solar or wind, so you can potentially charge up without tapping into the grid.
It used to be about 1M dollars a megawatt. I am sure it has gone up due to supply chain, inflation, and labor costs.

It used to be about 1M dollars a megawatt. I am sure it has gone up due to supply chain, inflation, and labor costs.
It really shouldn't be that much, but that's probably realistic these days, probably double that. Much of the cost is not the equipment, just the administrative overhead. Good news though is that once in you can expand capacity. Sadly, this is why this stuff tends to get relegated to giant companies and huge scale, because the overhead eats you up. Unfortunately for the larger corporate interests, solar works better distributed, but the average joker in an apartment can't leverage solar on his or her own.

Salem Harbor in Ma was a repower from Coal to Gas ~700mw, cost about 1b including some rework for not adequate cold weather.

Now generators don’t spec in MWhr, the assume infinite fuel supply, either by pipeline or on site storage.

So you could have 700MWhr battery but that’s just one hour which is pretty pointless, rather see it as 175mw battery with 4hr runtime.

Back