diy solar

diy solar

MC4 Inline Fuse

LanduytG

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone used these? Instead of trying to get fuses in my junction box I thought I would use one of these in each string.

Greg

Will recommends this Rich Solar kit that uses them:

I would use them if I felt they filled a need.

I installed them. it is cheap insurance for the accidental short that may happen in anything carrying more than an 1amp.
FYI make sure to get copper and not steel internals; the really cheap ones are just steel so the resistance is a bit high.
The cost difference between the good and bad is just a few dollars and they are designed to just slip right into the line with mc4 connectors so no wiring is even needed.

I purchased them to use with my PV's that I plan to install on the roof of my RV. I haven't actually installed them yet, but a local installer says he uses them all the time in lieu of putting large combiner boxes on the roof. So I figured I'd follow his advice and experience. Another option is to use DC circuit breakers for each string and they can provide your over-current protection AND disconnect in one device. I opted for the inline fuses with a single disconnector inside the RV between the roof panels and the MPPT controller.

I purchased them to use with my PV's that I plan to install on the roof of my RV. I haven't actually installed them yet, but a local installer says he uses them all the time in lieu of putting large combiner boxes on the roof. So I figured I'd follow his advice and experience. Another option is to use DC circuit breakers for each string and they can provide your over-current protection AND disconnect in one device. I opted for the inline fuses with a single disconnector inside the RV between the roof panels and the MPPT controller.
Thanks, these were my thoughts too. Already have them ordered.

Greg

I have the in line fuse from Renogy.

I don’t have a spare, and don’t know how to purchase just the fuse. It comes as a fuse and fuse holder, but on their website, does not list a replacement fuse. Looks like what I call a cartridge fuse, but did not see any specs for it. I’m sure its a simple thing and a phone call to renogy would probably sort that out.

I still recommend a shut off, whether a circuit breaker or a switch, going from the combined panels to the SCC. That helps for troubleshooting and shutting down the system.

The ones I bought are a 1000 volt 15 amp. They come with a spare fuse. I have not looked up the fuse to see it it can be bought separately. I already have a breaker installed at the SCC. This fuse is a precautionary measure.

Greg

I bought my MC4 fuse holders, fuses and spare fuses from Windy Nation. It was easy to buy from them.

I ended up with a series connection instead of parallel so I didn't use the inline fuses.

Back