diy solar

diy solar

MC4 O-ring size?

Joules22

I thought this would be an easy spec to find, but I am striking out. Anyone know? Whatever it is, it's not one I have on hand.

I don’t think there are standards. That’s part of the problem with mixing diff manufacturer‘s mc4s. Harbor freight has a big box of orings for cheap.

I don’t think there are standards. That’s part of the problem with mixing diff manufacturer‘s mc4s. Harbor freight has a big box of orings for cheap.
Yeah, I have their Viton set. No go. Well, let's put it this way, I found one that's an OK fit, but it doesn't want to connect to its mate. Maybe some silicone paste...

If you hadn’t seen this, worth a look. Esp the last post. I’m seriously thinking of cutting off all the MC4 and butt splicing.

D8514B0A-4CA4-451A-A77C-B0876364B8DB.jpeg

If it is Chinese it could be metric or it could be some odd standard they just came up with yesterday like 5.32mm. .

Silicone paste did the trick. I see now I could have shoved it together without lube, but I'm from the don't force it school. For future reference, I have the HF 180pc metric Viton o-ring kit (67525). The one that worked for me was A010, 6.07x1.78. Almost as good as 5.32 ?

Last edited:
If you hadn’t seen this, worth a look. Esp the last post. I’m seriously thinking of cutting off all the MC4 and butt splicing.

View attachment 104508

Don't fear the MC4. There are very few posts here on the forum of MC4 failures. Mine have been on the roof of my RV for two years without any issues. I checked them last month and they look about the same as the day I installed them.

An incorrectly crimped/assembled MC4 is a different matter.

Back