diy solar

diy solar

Me3000sp CT problem

Starman

My pv unit is located 25m from my main house in a shed at bottom of my garden it is fed by a amoured cable which connects through a CU to my meter tails in my house. When I connect the pv ct clamp from the me300sp it detects pv being exported as expected but when someone is in the shed using power(hottub) importing electric it sees this as export aswell. Is there a way to make the ct only register the electric being exported from the pv and ignore power going back towards it. Cheers

Last edited:
Yes, but it depends how everything is connected.

Assuming there's only that armored cable and PV power gets exported through that cable then you just need to put the CT on the wire of that cable instead of just on the PV stuff wire in the shed.

If you have another cable which is used to export PV power then you need to put both this wire and the one of the armored cable so the CT can account for both.

I'm assuming PV power is exported as AC, it will not work if it's DC of course.

The armoured cable feeds both the pv and the shed. Where the amoured cable connects into my house is where I have the ct connected (on the live) of the armoured cable. When the pv exports power back down the cable to the house the clamp registers that correctly as an export but if someone is in the hottub it sees that as export aswell instead of ignoring it .

Wait, where is the hottub wired? I think I misunderstood your configuration.

The armoured cable goes from my meter tails to the shed. It is then split to a cu which connects to the pv inverter and and another cu which connects to the shed electrics the hot tub and other things are connected to the shed cu

Where the armoured cable comes of the main tails in the house is where then pv ct is.(can't have the ct connected directly to the pv unit as its at the end of the garden)

The armoured cable receives power from the pv but also sends it to the shed I am trying to stop the ct clamp reading the power it is sending to the shed and only the incoming from the pv unit

Ok, I see, everything is clear now.

So everything is wired correctly for the CT to do (PV power - hot tub power) = net exported power; so my guess is that the hot tub uses more power than the PV install can supply, hence why you see no exported power.

For example if hot tub eats 3 kW and your PV install supplies 5 kW then you would see 2 kW exported. Now if the PV only supplies 2 kW instead then you would see 1 kW consumed (or -1 kW exported if you prefer).

Ok, I see, everything is clear now.

So everything is wired correctly for the CT to do (PV power - hot tub power) = net exported power; so my guess is that the hot tub uses more power than the PV install can supply, hence why you see no exported power.

For example if hot tub eats 3 kW and your PV install supplies 5 kW then you would see 2 kW exported. Now if the PV only supplies 2 kW instead then you would see 1 kW consumed (or -1 kW exported if you prefer).
Yes exactly. But even at night when no pv is being generated if someone is in the hottub it shows on the display that 3kw is coming in from solar even though it is actually 3kw going out.

Ok, well then the only two solutions are to add a cable dedicated to PV or to put the CT only on the PV line in the CU but both are not really ideal in your case sadly.

Back