diy solar

diy solar

Megarevo RxLNA Discussion

@jsmetalcraft - you'll need to find a circular 4-pin adapter to plug into the slot where the Solarman (IGEN) stick-logger goes. Circular Connector: Pin 1 = Positive 5 Volts, Pin 2 = Ground, Pin 3 = RS485+, Pin 4 = RS485-. For the life of me, I can't find out what the spec of the adapter is to order one. You can then just use a Raspberry Pi or similar with the Waveshare RS485<->Ethernet adapter and pymodbus to hoover up all metrics from the Megarevo. Some folks have done some pretty neat graphing of the metrics.
Did you end up getting work on solar asistant ?

I'm not familiar with Solar Assistant, but I have two inverters working just fine in Home Assistant using the included wifi dongle.

@daffyjoel - I was able to extract info from the ModBus registers and the RS485/Ethernet gateway, but the Home Assistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) way would be much less work! In the threads there is a yaml file that defines the modbus registers and their English equivalents (p18/19) - fromport and NCSolarGarage talk about it.

Once the firmware upgrade enabled proper data collection using the WiFi dongle, I stayed with the pro.solarmanpv.com site. I'd like to do Home Assistant, it's just low on the list of priorities.

My unit's been running in Peak Shift mode (or Weak Shift according to the display) for a few months now and has been doing the right thing.

Once the firmware upgrade enabled proper data collection using the WiFi dongle, I stayed with the pro.solarmanpv.com site.
I am still missing so much information , and my oem reseller is pushing MR to update their info but no response yet.
eg:
Screenshot from 2022-10-12 09-11-45.png
No information (kWh) regarding battery in/out .
My unit's been running in Peak Shift mode (or Weak Shift according to the display) for a few months now and has been doing the right thing.
Can you tell us your settings please ?
I am currently in self supply mode meaning that batteries only get charged by solar, but during the winter that won't be enough.
Screenshot from 2022-10-12 09-14-48.png
Each night my batteries goes down to just below 50% which is great for now, but once I start heating electric I will not have enough storage.
I am interested in your settings/setup.
thanks in advance

@fromport - I've got two charts attached - my home system is 4kW of panels (my roof is only 14ft wide in the city).

First chart is from earlier in the summer when I was in self-consume mode without grid feedback (anti-reverse enabled). My issue with self-consume is what you noticed, the battery doesn't start the day fully-charged and needs the PV to get it at capacity. With not having grid feedback I was missing out on the bulk of the daily generated energy (i.e. battery was charged by noon most days and then the system was just powering the loads the rest of daylight). My battery at home right now is only 6kWh (going to switch to home-made 14kWh or just buy a 25kWh system). The battery depletes by 9-10pm most days, so if there is a power outage in the evening, I'm out of luck for the night.

SOLARMAN_Business.png

Here in Toronto, the TOU peak hours are 7am - 7pm (2x nightly rate) so I wanted to use peak-shift during that time. It took some messing around with the hours (i.e. they need to overlap - if you put a minute gap, i.e. end at 7:00 and start at 7:01 then it doesn't work).

The chart below shows peak shift working. The battery gets recharged at midnight during low power time and grid power is used to drive the loads until the start of peak time at 7am, then the battery is used until the PV system recharges it and also powers the loads. The battery is not touched until there isn't enough PV in the evening. I've actually turned off grid usage until 9pm (mostly just to not use grid when the dishwasher is on after dinner).

SOLARMAN_Business.png

I did encounter some weird behaviour when I turned off anti-reverse and let the unit power the grid. The main AC and dryer are not powered by the Megarevo and when I did my test, the dryer was going. The unit kicked into high gear and the fans sounded like jet engines and the battery started dumping at 200A and triggered an overload warning. I'm not entirely sure why the battery was being used to power the grid. I know somebody mentioned it in an earlier thread (jsmetal maybe?) and perhaps that's why you need to dial back the percentage fed to the grid.

My battery at home right now is only 6kWh (going to switch to home-made 14kWh or just buy a 25kWh system).
Thank you for all your information/feedback!
My motto always used to be "one can never have enough solar" but I have to add "or storage" these days ;-)
I am adding storage as well ;-) Turns out my current system is 15S and the one I am building is 16S :-(
So I will have to add an extra inverter to my setup.

The chart below shows peak shift working. The battery gets recharged at midnight during low power time and grid power is used to drive the loads until the start of peak time at 7am, then the battery is used until the PV system recharges it and also powers the loads. The battery is not touched until there isn't enough PV in the evening. I've actually turned off grid usage until 9pm (mostly just to not use grid when the dishwasher is on after dinner).
I am very confused by the wording/settings in the menu of the MR.
Could you tell or post a photo of the settings of the menu of the MR?

thanks in advance!

@fromport - Ha, you've made me validate what I actually programmed in and I take back my previous statement about overlapping times! If they do overlap, then things break (opposite what I said before).

I have the Work Mode set to Peak Shift with Time 1 and Time 2 set.

Time 1:
Charge Start: 00:00
Charge End: 07:00
Disc Start: 07:01
Disc End: 22:00

Time 2:
Charge Start: 11:01
Charge End: 17:00
Disc Start: 17:01
Disc End: 19:00

What I'd done is try to balance the charging with the TOU periods. Time 1 is saying charge from the grid between midnight and 7am and discharge time is 7am to 10pm (not 9pm as I said before). The Time 2 setting is saying that you can actually charge from the grid during mid-peak pricing (11am-5pm, peak being 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm) if you have to - but I've actually not seen that as yet (my loads aren't big enough).

The :01 times are necessary otherwise if you say, for example, Charge End: 07:00, Disc Start: 07:00 - then the unit just gets confused.

I have the Work Mode set to Peak Shift with Time 1 and Time 2 set.

Time 1:
Charge Start: 00:00
Charge End: 07:00
Disc Start: 07:01
Disc End: 22:00

Time 2:
Charge Start: 11:01
Charge End: 17:00
Disc Start: 17:01
Disc End: 19:00

What I'd done is try to balance the charging with the TOU periods. Time 1 is saying charge from the grid between midnight and 7am and discharge time is 7am to 10pm (not 9pm as I said before). The Time 2 setting is saying that you can actually charge from the grid during mid-peak pricing (11am-5pm, peak being 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm) if you have to - but I've actually not seen that as yet (my loads aren't big enough).

The :01 times are necessary otherwise if you say, for example, Charge End: 07:00, Disc Start: 07:00 - then the unit just gets confused.

Thank you so much for your example. I tried using it and got so confused. EG: didn't know that discharge time #1 & #2 could overlap.

With overlapping times, it would never go back to main menu etc etc.

So your example helped a lot and I just switched to peak shift.
TY TY TY!

I did encounter some weird behaviour when I turned off anti-reverse and let the unit power the grid. The main AC and dryer are not powered by the Megarevo and when I did my test, the dryer was going. The unit kicked into high gear and the fans sounded like jet engines and the battery started dumping at 200A and triggered an overload warning. I'm not entirely sure why the battery was being used to power the grid. I know somebody mentioned it in an earlier thread (jsmetal maybe?) and perhaps that's why you need to dial back the percentage fed to the grid.

*WHAT A MESS*

This morning I switched from self supply to Peak shift.
My ToU times:
peak power: 2pm-8pm
off peak power: 8PM -10PM & 8AM-2PM
super off peak: 10PM-8AM

I have 20kWh usable battery capacity. I limit battery charging to 100 amps x 51 volt (15S batteries) = 5100 Wh per hour charging.
I have set Dod to 20% so I will drain only 16kWh from the batteries max.
So I setup timer 1 like this:
Charge Start: 10:00
Charge End: 13:59

So my batteries will have 4 hours to charge them with 5.1Kw/h so with the rest of my PV setup should be able to charge completely from SOLAR.
On cloudy days I will charge from the grid at off peak power.
at 2pm my batteries were charged to 95% , nice
Disc Start: 14:00
Disc End: 20:00

That is my most expensive rate so I want to use that from my batteries.
I had to work so I left (i know, pretty dumb) and left early after changing the settings.
Well, this is what happened :
At 2PM it switched to discharging mode.
Screenshot from 2022-10-13 18-33-30.png

Since PV was going down, it supplemented what PV could not made from the batteries!
But why ?! The load was less than 1000 watt and the rest of available solar should have been exporting to the grid!

Screenshot from 2022-10-13 18-36-44.png
at 4:30 it was pulling almost 5kW AC from the batteries and feeding it into the grid
:-(

When I arrived home at 5:15 noticed it and quickly changed back to self supply mode.
Batteries are now discharged to 49% and will not be able to pull me through the night on the current charge.

So like the previous report, the inverter was powering 5KW to the grid. I assume that is related to the 100 amp CHARGING current limit I set.
My batteries & inverter could have done 8kW if needed.

This is all so weird, I have to think about this.
So far I am not overly impressed with the whole MR concept.
I am thinking about instead of getting a second one, getting one of the luxpower(or relabled GSL) 12k inverters.

What a bummer...

@daffyjoel - I was able to extract info from the ModBus registers and the RS485/Ethernet gateway, but the Home Assistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) way would be much less work! In the threads there is a yaml file that defines the modbus registers and their English equivalents (p18/19) - fromport and NCSolarGarage talk about it.

Once the firmware upgrade enabled proper data collection using the WiFi dongle, I stayed with the pro.solarmanpv.com site. I'd like to do Home Assistant, it's just low on the list of priorities.

Mine i just new they send a new firmware just 2 days ago.. i have talking with support because mine no matter what i do .. it doesnt read and charge the battery from PV .. all the time . Like yesterday was everything perfect and today nothing is change .. and it simply dont charge the battery from PV .. maybe tomoroow it works who knows .. mine is working offgrid but he only charge the battery from Pv like a surprise who know when .. i have plenty of battery that i can be 2 days wothout chargings. But i still not been able to find the setup that charge all the time with PV .... No matter what mode i use

Mine i just new they send a new firmware just 2 days ago.. i have talking with support because mine no matter what i do .. it doesnt read and charge the battery from PV .. all the time . Like yesterday was everything perfect and today nothing is change .. and it simply dont charge the battery from PV .. maybe tomoroow it works who knows .. mine is working offgrid but he only charge the battery from Pv like a surprise who know when .. i have plenty of battery that i can be 2 days wothout chargings. But i still not been able to find the setup that charge all the time with PV .... No matter what mode i use
A few pages back there was a post about making setting in lead acid, then go back to lithium mode.

I only assume you are using lithium? Does the BMS communicate with MR? If no I think you have to use lead acid settings.

What version of firmware are you showing now that you have updated?

A few pages back there was a post about making setting in lead acid, then go back to lithium mode.

I only assume you are using lithium? Does the BMS communicate with MR? If no I think you have to use lead acid settings.

What version of firmware are you showing now that you have updated?
I do that but in this firmware it reads the bms correctly when you go back to lithium you have to setup again so is reading good ..

Attachments

• IMG-20221014-WA0121.jpeg
    IMG-20221014-WA0121.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 15
They just released support for megarevo 8k inverter. I was notified this morning:

Yes but from what port they read and manage the MR because the main problem on that inverter is that you cant setup remotly and the app is crazy slow to read

*WHAT A MESS*

This morning I switched from self supply to Peak shift.
My ToU times:
peak power: 2pm-8pm
off peak power: 8PM -10PM & 8AM-2PM
super off peak: 10PM-8AM

I have 20kWh usable battery capacity. I limit battery charging to 100 amps x 51 volt (15S batteries) = 5100 Wh per hour charging.
I have set Dod to 20% so I will drain only 16kWh from the batteries max.
So I setup timer 1 like this:
Charge Start: 10:00
Charge End: 13:59

So my batteries will have 4 hours to charge them with 5.1Kw/h so with the rest of my PV setup should be able to charge completely from SOLAR.
On cloudy days I will charge from the grid at off peak power.
at 2pm my batteries were charged to 95% , nice
Disc Start: 14:00
Disc End: 20:00

That is my most expensive rate so I want to use that from my batteries.
I had to work so I left (i know, pretty dumb) and left early after changing the settings.
Well, this is what happened :
At 2PM it switched to discharging mode.
View attachment 116261

Since PV was going down, it supplemented what PV could not made from the batteries!
But why ?! The load was less than 1000 watt and the rest of available solar should have been exporting to the grid!

View attachment 116262
at 4:30 it was pulling almost 5kW AC from the batteries and feeding it into the grid
:-(

When I arrived home at 5:15 noticed it and quickly changed back to self supply mode.
Batteries are now discharged to 49% and will not be able to pull me through the night on the current charge.

So like the previous report, the inverter was powering 5KW to the grid. I assume that is related to the 100 amp CHARGING current limit I set.
My batteries & inverter could have done 8kW if needed.

This is all so weird, I have to think about this.
So far I am not overly impressed with the whole MR concept.
I am thinking about instead of getting a second one, getting one of the luxpower(or relabled GSL) 12k inverters.

What a bummer...
For some reason mine somedays doenst charge from pv... But i fix the problem that it goes to grid mine dont use grid now but before was staying on grid any time he wants .. i have the work mode self consume... But i have my question on how to setup the dod settings... Plus to let you know something that i found is that the charger setting on the batt setting is for the charger controller not AC charger .. check the anitecerse or arc ..

Yes but from what port they read and manage the MR because the main problem on that inverter is that you cant setup remotly and the app is crazy slow to read
The raspberry pie app runs on an appliance connected directly to the inverter's communication port. It is not "online" like Solarman. Also, Solar Assistant is not for managing the inverter. It is for getting better data out of the inverter than what Solarman provides, which is laughable!

The raspberry pie app runs on an appliance connected directly to the inverter's communication port. It is not "online" like Solarman. Also, Solar Assistant is not for managing the inverter. It is for getting better data out of the inverter than what Solarman provides, which is laughable!
Megarevo and solarman app to be honest for an app like that it was better dont do nothing... this is the first inverter that i have that the app is just to see not to setup ...is like you said a crap

Last edited:
@jsmetalcraft - you'll need to find a circular 4-pin adapter to plug into the slot where the Solarman (IGEN) stick-logger goes. Circular Connector: Pin 1 = Positive 5 Volts, Pin 2 = Ground, Pin 3 = RS485+, Pin 4 = RS485-. For the life of me, I can't find out what the spec of the adapter is to order one. You can then just use a Raspberry Pi or similar with the Waveshare RS485<->Ethernet adapter and pymodbus to hoover up all metrics from the Megarevo. Some folks have done some pretty neat graphing of the metrics.
Solar Assistant has added support for Megarevo.

Actually is Pin 1 = 5v, Pin 2= RS485_A, Pin 3= RS485_B, Pin 4 = GND

Back