diy solar

diy solar

Metal roof panel mounting - Custom design questions

lapsmith

I have an R panel metal roof on my barn with a pitch of 18 degrees where I want to mount my 40 360W panels. I want to be able to adjust the pitch a few times a year and so I am planning to design my own framework. I was planning to use treated lumber, but I read in another post that it wouldn't meet code so I will probably use aluminum angle.

My questions are:
  1. Does code allow custom designed framing, or must it be commercially sourced?
  2. Does code allow hinged (tilt-able) panels on the roof, provided it is designed to meet expected wind and other loads?

I am in Houston (Centerpoint) and they only refer me to code, but I don't know where to look to find it, and not sure if that would be helpful or not.

Thanks!
Tom

A custom designed framing system would most likely need to have plans that have been reviewed and stamped by an engineer to make sure the roof can support support the framing and panels, and is strong enough to handle wind and snow loads. The code requirements for solar panel mounting is in the IRC(residential) or IBC(all other uses) codes,

I think I found the correct IBC document (Section AT 103). All it says it the roof design for live and dead loads should be indicated on the construction documents. Not much help. My utility requires a layout of the panels, but I don't know if they need anything else. I can't really find out until the system is installed and inspected. When I ask, they just say to ask the installer or the local jurisdiction. I'm in an unincorporated area and there are no jurisdictions. So do I take a chance and do my own mounting? So frustrating.

Back