diy solar

diy solar

minimum watt inverter/generator to power a Victron 2000w inverter/charger?

I thought the question being asked was if a champion 2500w generator will be able to sufficiently charge a battery using a Victron 12/2000 multiplus.

The min input on the 12/2000 is 4.4amps I believe last time I checked on mine.
Hi Fellas;

I was pretty sure that I was on the right track with this and I really appreciate you guys confirming what I suspected.

Based on your input, last night I went ahead and ordered a Champion dual fuel 2500w inverter/generator from Home Depot. I will pull that 32 year old Generac out today.

I haven't been able to find documentation stating the weight of that Generac NP52 but I'm guessing that it is significant. The new Champion is supposed to be 39 lbs. I have a 35 gallon LP tank on the Trek, so the run time, should be crazy.

I am going to replace the roof mounted 13k btu AC and the LP powered heater with the Pioneer under bench heat pump unit.

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/products/pioneer-9-000-btu-under-bench-rv-heat-pump-air-conditioner

thank you so much for your comments and advice.
Take care
Dave Martin
Cincinnati Ohio

UPDATE:

Completed the replacement of the 32 year old Generac NP52G (5200kw) with a new Champion Dual Fuel 2500w Inverter Generator. This was a drop in engine size from 479cc to 79cc.

The little Champion, with Ecomode activated, pushes +/- 1450 watts to the Victron Multiplus Compact 2000w inverter/charger which then charges my battery bank at +/- 74 amps. (see photo).

I am very happy with the result.

Thanks, fellas, for the guidance and advice. I really appreciate it.

Dave Martin
Cincinnati Ohio

Attachments

• 2500w gen eco mode charging batteries.jpg
    2500w gen eco mode charging batteries.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 5
  • new generator installation.jpg
    new generator installation.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 4
That's fantastic, glad you're happy with your result!

Only thing i would have added (too late for you, maybe not for the next guy) is that an inverter generator is really only quieter than a non-inverter generator (of similar size, not the case here..), when running under say 70% load (made up number based on my calibrated ear). If you plan to buy an inverter gen and run it near max wattage, it may be LOUDER than a non-inverter generator because unlike a non-inverter generator, it can rev past 3600rpm! Or, if you're comparing it to a fairly large generator, those might even be running 1800 rpm..

So if one is buying an inverter generator primarily for noise reduction, i would advise that they oversize the generator a bit so that they could stay in the 50-70% load region at most, maybe under 50% if you're really looking for minimal noise level.

Great thing for you is that since you are feeding it to the highly adjustable Victron, you can essentially pick your preferred noise level through menu settings. :cool:

Back