diy solar

diy solar

Mismatched solar panel question

Viajero

I am trying to cram as much as I can on top of my van including 2 fans, space for kayak and solar panels. I will be connecting them to MPP solar all in one and 100Ah battleborn LiFePO4. The best configuration I have so far is for 2 Rich 50W(Vmp 18.3, Imp2.74) panels and 1 square 200W(Vmp 21.05V, Imp 9.5A) panel sold by Continuous Resources. I know running panels of same potential, current and manufacturer is ideal but I can't seem to make them fit. My wiring diagram is below. If run parallel, it seems I will get 274W which I can live with. Is there a better way? I have seen some online recommendations of adding a separate charge controller for each type of panel but that would presumably require me to run 4 wires through van roof instead of just 2 which bothers me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Solar wiring diagram A.jpg
    Solar wiring diagram A.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 8
It's going to come down to how much of a derate the 200 watt panel is going to cop by dragging it down to where the others are. If the MPP decides there is more power to be had at a higher voltage the lower voltage panels may contribute nothing at all when everything is in full sunlight.

Back