diy solar

diy solar

Mixing batteries

Borneoboy

Can I mix 90 Ahr and 100 Ahr cells in my 24volt pack ?
Or will this just give me balancing problems ?
Alternatively, parallel 90Ahr pack with 100 Ahr pack ?

Don't mix different cells into one battery. But different battery capacities in parallel is fine.

From one of my other responses.

A picture is worth a thousand words eh. I drew this up to make it a bit easier. Obviously, this is for a component system and not an AIO (All-In-One).
  • Busbars used @ Battery should be rated for Maximum Current Potential. Avoid the cheapo deals on Amazon/E-Bay.
  • Keep battery to busbar wire lengths identical, the Fuse is part of the length.
  • If a Battery is capable of 100A but can do 200A surge output, fuse accordingly.
  • Class T Fuses are preferred within their own holders. Alternatively, MRBF Fuses are quite acceptable
  • Generally, a Smartshunt is used to monitor Power In/Out and the State of Charge of the battery bank.
  • A Disconnect from the battery bank is prudent for maintenance work +.
  • Solar Controller output should be fused to its maximum Amp Output (Too many forget this detail, req for inspection pass)
  • A Separate Battery Charger if so equipped should also be fused for its Max Amperage output.
  • Inverter/Charger also to be fused IE: a 4000W Inverter @ 48V would require 80A Fuse/Breaker. (#### Watts ÷ 51.2V = Amps) BUT remember that an HF Inverter can do 2X surge handling and an LF model can do 3X surge handling. (HF = High-Frequency, LF = Low Frequency)
* Fuses or DC Breakers will accomplish the same thing and allows some flexibility. Stick to Known Good quality components ONLY, this is one area where saving a few pennies buying cheapo offshore stuff can bite you really hard !
1663440457540-png.112275

Good post! I've been looking at different "system" drawings and deriving these rules, but uts good to see them written down

This is another simpler diagram from Midnite Solar. Note how the breakers are setup and it's done this way for safety & inspection compliance. There is a PDF Attachment, again from Midnite Solar with a lot more detail & explanations of things. Of course this applies to ANY Component Based system.

1663508146455.png

Attachments

• classic_simple_flow_diagram.pdf
    379.6 KB · Views: 2
Back