diy solar

diy solar

New person, first post

Uncledeeds

Hello an id like to first wish everyone a happy Xmas an new year to all an your families.I have a question reguarding my purchase of a hall monitor (coulombmeter) as I have just set it up an programing for the first time, I have a question on what I should set the
(Full battery voltage)
It would be 12fv on my meter
I have set the amp hours of the battery which is 38.4
On my charge controller the max charge voltage for these batteries is set 14.4 im pretty sure,its not infront of me.I know the battery at full charge sits at 13.8
The voltage on the battery states 12.8
The batteries I use are low ahr but I get a extremely good deal on these used an always found them to be above 98% ,an I have quite a bit.i will attach a photo of it as well.i think it should be set on the hall monitor at 13.8 so it will read a full charge on the graph at 100% so it will also match the 38.4 ahr as well.im just not sure so thought I'd ask since everyone here im sure knows much more than myself.i can say I have studied literally months on these videos an a few other channels as well,but this one particular is my go to.i hope I have posted this correctly an I apoligize for the very newbie question im sure.i live completely on solar,no grid so this is all very important to me.
Thank you all
Derek

Attachments

• 17033617226931020867960479703360.jpg
    17033617226931020867960479703360.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 17033617600631313190232931238196.jpg
    17033617600631313190232931238196.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 22
Not familiar with coulombmeter... thought I’d help get the thread started anyway... I had a search for invictuspower... I’d imagine those are very well made packs..may I ask what sort of deal you get on them...?

There are some charts perhaps in resources which may be useful.

Lithium iron phosphate tends to have a relatively flat voltage curve.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of excellent members with lots of experience and a willingness to teach.

Last edited:
There are some charts perhaps in resources which may be useful.

I am not familiar with this particular battery. Is it lead acid or lithium iron phosphate?

Others can correct me since it’s been a while but if this has a shut off it should be set for about 50 percent of the battery capacity if lead acid . Lead acid will reflect voltage drop better than lithium which has a flatter voltage curve.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of excellent members with lots of experience and a willingness to teach.
Your battery pic states: Lithium Iron Phosphate aka LiFePO4. It is recommended NOT to use below 20% of the capacity.

These are LFP Batteries, which means you can USE 100% with NO ISSUES AT ALL... Other Lithium Chemistries have their own limits and not like LFP.

The ALLOWABLE Voltage range for LFP (which causes no harm/damage) is from 2.500 to 3.650 Volts per cell. That translates to 10.0 to 14.6 volts for a "12V" battery. Outside of that voltage range and harm is being done.

The WORKING VOLTAGE range, which is what delivers the actual Amp Hour Rating is from 3.000-3.400 Volts per cell. YES, this is a very flat voltage curve. That translates as 12.0V to 13.6 Volts for a "12" Volts battery pack. Most people will have the Low Voltage Cutoff set to 2.800VPC or 11.2V, which leaves enough room for the BMS to stay awake and accept charge.

Your EndAmps / Tail Current is 1.92 Amps. When this is reached, Bulk/Absorb should flip to FLOAT (Constant Voltage - Variable Current)

LFP does NOT require or use Equalize (Lead Acid battery thang), it is strictly Constant Voltage - Constant Current / Constant Voltage - Variable Current.

You will want these TWO Resources... be sure to grab the UPDATE as well... Handy ref to have at hand.
General LiFePO4 (LFP) Voltage to SOC charts/tables 12/24/48V

Remember to install your shunt / hall sensor between your batteries AND the Inverter + Solar Controller, so that the monitor sees everything coming in from the SCC and Inverter/CHARGER (if using that charger) going in/out of the batteries. NOTE that a Hall Sensor with a Coulumbmeter is NOT as accurate as a proper Smart Shunt but they are pretty close.

Hello an id like to first wish everyone a happy Xmas an new year to all an your families.I have a question reguarding my purchase of a hall monitor (coulombmeter) as I have just set it up an programing for the first time, I have a question on what I should set the
(Full battery voltage)
On my charge controller the max charge voltage for these batteries is set 14.4 im pretty sure,its not infront of me.I know the battery at full charge sits at 13.8
The batteries I use are low ahr but I get a extremely good deal on these used an always found them to be above 98% ,an I have quite a bit.i will attach a photo of it as well.i think it should be set on the hall monitor at 13.8 so it will read a full charge on the graph at 100% so it will also match the 38.4 ahr as well.im just not sure so thought I'd ask since everyone here im sure knows much more than myself.i can say I have studied literally months on these videos an a few other channels as well,but this one particular is my go to.i hope I have posted this correctly an I apoligize for the very newbie question im sure.i live completely on solar,no grid so this is all very important to me.
Thank you all
Derek
I came across this comment from a YouTube video on installing a hall monitor...
1703365946828.png

So 13.8v is fully charged on your battery ... and your thinking to set the monitor to that v is correct...?
Not sure what the max v setting is about...as I’ve never used one... but interesting to read his observations..
Here’s the video... and comments

(Full battery voltage)
Thank you all
Derek
This is a video about your model of meter...

So I think you’re right... if fully charged bay sits at 13.8 ... maybe set v to 13.7v and at 13.8 will show 100% soc... I’m no expert .. but using these threads to learn as well..
Lol... spell check drives me nuts.. battery not bay..?

Lol... spell check drives me nuts.. battery not bay..?
Yes thank you! Finally got it straightened out,lots of perimeters lol. Doing a couple runs on my new to me batteries to double check the cells.so far all are 100%. Pics show what I'm getting with just a 2,000 renogy inverter hooked up (no draw) just inverter draw.note in pic inverter has been hooked up for few hours i believe.so volts dropped a little.
Thank you everyone very much .
An MERRY XMAS
godbless

Attachments

• 20231224_155901.jpg
    20231224_155901.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231224_155926.jpg
    20231224_155926.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 5
Yes thank you! Finally got it straightened out,lots of perimeters lol. Doing a couple runs on my new to me batteries to double check the cells.so far all are 100%. Pics show what I'm getting with just a 2,000 renogy inverter hooked up (no draw) just inverter draw.note in pic inverter has been hooked up for few hours i believe.so volts dropped a little.
Thank you everyone very much .
An MERRY XMAS
godbless
Good to see it up and running ...
Merry Xmas and hopefully a great 2024 for all of us...

These are LFP Batteries, which means you can USE 100% with NO ISSUES AT ALL... Other Lithium Chemistries have their own limits and not like LFP.

The ALLOWABLE Voltage range for LFP (which causes no harm/damage) is from 2.500 to 3.650 Volts per cell. That translates to 10.0 to 14.6 volts for a "12V" battery. Outside of that voltage range and harm is being done.

The WORKING VOLTAGE range, which is what delivers the actual Amp Hour Rating is from 3.000-3.400 Volts per cell. YES, this is a very flat voltage curve. That translates as 12.0V to 13.6 Volts for a "12" Volts battery pack. Most people will have the Low Voltage Cutoff set to 2.800VPC or 11.2V, which leaves enough room for the BMS to stay awake and accept charge.

Your EndAmps / Tail Current is 1.92 Amps. When this is reached, Bulk/Absorb should flip to FLOAT (Constant Voltage - Variable Current)

LFP does NOT require or use Equalize (Lead Acid battery thang), it is strictly Constant Voltage - Constant Current / Constant Voltage - Variable Current.

You will want these TWO Resources... be sure to grab the UPDATE as well... Handy ref to have at hand.
General LiFePO4 (LFP) Voltage to SOC charts/tables 12/24/48V

Remember to install your shunt / hall sensor between your batteries AND the Inverter + Solar Controller, so that the monitor sees everything coming in from the SCC and Inverter/CHARGER (if using that charger) going in/out of the batteries. NOTE that a Hall Sensor with a Coulumbmeter is NOT as accurate as a proper Smart Shunt but they are pretty close.
Thank you yes pretty close though im seing.also the hall monitor hole for the wires/cables isn't too big if wanting to put a few wires through it,hence a shunt be best.but its doing what I need .thanks again! Have a wonderful holiday.
Godbless

Back