diy solar

diy solar

more 'flexible' inverter?

Wohl

Hey everyone,

i am thinking about an off-grid solar system for a van that can be useful across multiple countries. Since different countries sometimes use different electrical standards, i am wondering how i would build a system where i can connect devices that i bought in different countries. So far all i can think of is: have a separate inverter for each country's standard but maybe there is something better i am not aware of.

I might be remembering things wrong but i thought in one of the first videos about all-in-one inverters that Will did a few years ago that there was an option to adjust output voltage. Maybe there are flexible inverters where i can re-program the voltage to what i need it to be?

I tried searching for it, so far found nothing. If anyone knows about something like that i would appreciate it. Thanks for reading, have a nice day and enjoy the complementary fruit basked i have attached: 🍉🍇🍎🥭

PS: Will hinted a few times at opening another channel to talk about stuff not necessarily related to Solar. I am out of the loop, did that ever happen? Will is a smart dude, i'd totally listen to him ramble or do a podcast about what's new in his life.

Hey everyone,

i am thinking about an off-grid solar system for a van that can be useful across multiple countries. Since different countries sometimes use different electrical standards, i am wondering how i would build a system where i can connect devices that i bought in different countries. So far all i can think of is: have a separate inverter for each country's standard but maybe there is something better i am not aware of.

I might be remembering things wrong but i thought in one of the first videos about all-in-one inverters that Will did a few years ago that there was an option to adjust output voltage. Maybe there are flexible inverters where i can re-program the voltage to what i need it to be?

I tried searching for it, so far found nothing. If anyone knows about something like that i would appreciate it. Thanks for reading, have a nice day and enjoy the complementary fruit basked i have attached: 🍉🍇🍎🥭

PS: Will hinted a few times at opening another channel to talk about stuff not necessarily related to Solar. I am out of the loop, did that ever happen? Will is a smart dude, i'd totally listen to him ramble or do a podcast about what's new in his life.
There is this:
https://www.amazon.com/WZRELB-Inverter-Hardwire-Terminal-Efficiency/dp/B0BPY44VN8/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.RzVJca_0r8qWZ1-DpfQ_7vPdKk1NfPvdS0SFKwy-S6Y9atVT7wfUbGGzMxanNUt1Y3ma_vnXpHzdJnrlY1U1rh3JydWmlFwfPu8q11YNa6o3Op9SRT5rgQg-4MQUfgSToJ1d30W6G_neVEIn5utSPXEGOuGVdQnEJjHTcKA_gRMNaL7l7JQsVVJ2-zt8HibT3xsDBDtsW1KPGKVgzvJYKjuHt6nF7ZnG_BNWwbTTsF5rcAYGPsnFWro6UAOPNmAv3MJER6pcN0Yejt8_6e-vFJchxrNEI1llwvcR3wYRqUw.tq8mz6WIGyF5soBcRZ2rhEWVoaRbQZN1KGPFt6B6aaU&dib_tag=se&keywords=48v+split+phase&qid=1708296522&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

They also have a 48v model.

Edit: you'd need devices that used 60hz.

Although many devices today operate from 100-240v and 50-60hz

Last edited:
There is this:
(...)
They also have a 24v model.

Thanks! I just learned something. When i looked at the amazon page the inverter only had two voltages, 120 and 240. What about all the other voltages that countries might run? Seems like there are no other :fp2. I just assumed countries use other crooked voltage numbers but i guess not :LOL:. I thought some small country might use 160 volt. The plugs do vary a lot and some use 50hz and others 60hz.

800px-Map_of_the_world_coloured_by_voltage_and_frequency.png

The 240v receptacle fits probably most countries' plugs, it appears.
At least with probably all devices I own in the U.S., traveling to other countries is never an issue regarding voltage and frequency, as all my devices are good for the ranges.
Only need plug adapters for different countries receptacles.

found these on a site called wikitravel
800px-Map_of_the_world_coloured_by_type_of_plug_used.png
Looks like a few countries have 3 (or 4?) plugs coexisting.
Plugs.png

Not sure what would happen if i connect a 50hz appliance to a 60hz outlet or vice versa. My phone charger has 100-240v and 50/60hz, i guess that means i can connect it to every electrical system in the world. I never knew.

The 240v receptacle fits probably most countries' plugs, it appears.
At least with probably all devices I own in the U.S., traveling to other countries is never an issue regarding voltage and frequency, as all my devices are good for the ranges.
Only need plug adapters for different countries receptacles.
True: when we visit Europe from NA we just take along a little $20 adapter. Why reinvent the wheel?

Easier to have small 230-120v transformer for ”emergencies” and otherwise shop for 230v or wide-range 100-240v equipment. Most equipment are not too picky about frequency either.

It is a van, you dont have room for stupid amount of equipment. You don’t need suddenly run large industrial lathe.

True: when we visit Europe from NA we just take along a little $20 adapter. Why reinvent the wheel?
I never took the time to rethink this now that i have somewhat of an understanding about electricity, thanks to nobody else but Will. I remember when i was still younger, people discussed this problem of not simply being able to plug devices from home when visiting other countries with these adapters because of different electrical systems and the need for 'converters'. I thought this was a huge problem i was never gonna understand because i am no electrician. Turns out there aren't that many different system. I was assuming there are like 10 different voltages in the world :LOL:
I was imagining something like this: "Careful that's a japanese blowdryer, it runs at 400 volt and when you use an adapter to connect it to your outlet here, your electrical system will blow up".

It is a van, you dont have room for stupid amount of equipment. You don’t need suddenly run large industrial lathe.

The van has wheels and can park next to industrial lathes though. What if i find a long forgotten building on top of a mountain and it just so happens to have a lathe inside. If i had the choice i'd want a system in my van that i can hook stuff up to that i encounter.

Back